#1 momna

momna

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if when you are diagnosed with Celiac do you really have to avoid gluten even coming from shampoo, conditioners, body wash, lotion, hand sanitizers and even make up? Anything that touches your skin? Thanks for your replies!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if when you are diagnosed with Celiac do you really have to avoid gluten even coming from shampoo, conditioners, body wash, lotion, hand sanitizers and even make up? Anything that touches your skin? Thanks for your replies!

With Celiac you have to be careful about what enters your mouth. Along with that concern, are lotions, lipsticks and even shampoos that can get into you mouth when you shower.

Some people with a wheat allergy may have issues with topical gluten, but generally with Celiac Disease, you must ingest gluten to react.

If you would like....we can get you started on some generally available brands that a considered gluten free. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

With Celiac you have to be careful about what enters your mouth. Along with that concern, are lotions, lipsticks and even shampoos that can get into you mouth when you shower.

Some people with a wheat allergy may have issues with topical gluten, but generally with Celiac Disease, you must ingest gluten to react.

If you would like....we can get you started on some generally available brands that a considered gluten free. :)

I'd appreciate such a list if you wouldn't mind pointing me to one.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:32 AM

I'd appreciate such a list if you wouldn't mind pointing me to one.

I would recommend www.CeceliasMarketplace.com for annually published product guide. I will try to purchase from companies such as Unilevel, that will always list all forms of gluten on their ingredient listing

I use daily:

Lubriderm Lotion
Mary Kay Lipstick
Chapstick
Pantene Shampoo or Dove
Crest ToothPaste
Tone Soap
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:51 AM

I'll add:

SoftSoap, which I use in my shower at at the sinks

Suave shampoo and conditioner

Colgate Total toothpaste

Blistex Medicated Lip Balm (in the blue-green tube)

CeraVe lotion or moisturing cream (Wal-Mart has it)

Mabelline Great Lash Mascara

and I just bought Garnier Ultra-Lift Moisturizer.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 violentlyserene

violentlyserene

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

I would recommend www.CeceliasMarketplace.com for annually published product guide. I will try to purchase from companies such as Unilevel, that will always list all forms of gluten on their ingredient listing

I use daily:

Lubriderm Lotion
Mary Kay Lipstick
Chapstick
Pantene Shampoo or Dove
Crest ToothPaste
Tone Soap

Thanks, I'll check that out.

#7 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

I am careful about shampoo since it runs down my face and my lips tend to become easily inflamed. I also am careful about hand soap and lotion. It seemed to me that it I washed with a gluten containing soap and then touched my food it might transfer. I don't know that for a fact but it just seemed to make sense to me.

#8 padma

padma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

I went to www.ewg.org/skindeep and put my products into their data base to find out if they contained any carcinogens or hormone disruptors. I want to be safe from those as well as from gluten. I have very sensitive skin. I think I get a rash sometimes from gluten. I know I do from chemical exposure. I recently found a totally chemical free, organic line I am doing well with at www.organiclivingtoday.net . I like the results and it is helping my rashes clear up and my skin is looking younger.

Want to say how much I appreciate everyone's comments. Recently, I have been managing to stay gluten free for a few months now.. no reactions. These kinds of questions are important in sorting out where gluten is hiding.

#9 momna

momna

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

thank you all for the advice.. I am slowly rummaging through my toiletries and making sure that there is no gluten in any of them.. this will be a long read.. sigh..

#10 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

Hi!

Daily I've used Tom's of Maine toothpaste (great guy actually FROM Maine but sold the company I think to Crest or Colgate...) and Garnier shampoos. Also use Lancome lipstick (Le Rouge Absolu and Color Design lines) daily for 5 or more years with no trouble. And I am very sensitive to the evil gluten...

Good luck!
lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: