22 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

Lara bars seem to be beloved by many. I tried one a few months ago and did not care for it (apple, I think). At the grocery store this morning they were on sale for $1.49 each (and several kinds available) so I bought more (we have an upcoming trip to Europe so want to stock up). I tried the cherry flavour and literally had a hard time finishing it! That is extremely unusual for me as I love food utterly. So, what flavours are your favourites? Which shall I try? I would like to like them because they are convenient. As I'm a scratch cook I always believe homemade is better and of course I am aware that we all have different tastes but these somehow evade me. I do not loathe them - but am disappointed. :( I would rather "spend" my fat and calories elsewhere! :D Anyone else disillusioned? :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bbuster

bbuster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:37 AM

My son didn't like Lara bars at all, and I thought they were "OK" at best.

He lives on ZonePerfect bars. They are the best I have found as far as high protein balanced with relatively low carbs and fat. Although our favorite flavors are different, we both like several varieties.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

I don't like the cake-like LaraBars. For me it's all the chocolate kinds, cashew cookie and pecan pie, that's all. Forget the apple pie, cherry pie....etc. - waste of money :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

My youngest likes the Cashew Cookie the best and my oldest likes the Coconut Cream Pie one the best, of course she is on a major coconut kick right now though.

#5 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:58 AM

I loved the coconut ones but can't find them around here anymore. The others are so-so . . . something to keep in my bag for emergencies.

I much prefer Kind bars. They cost a little more but are so much better.
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

I loved the coconut ones but can't find them around here anymore. The others are so-so . . . something to keep in my bag for emergencies.

I much prefer Kind bars. They cost a little more but are so much better.

I must google Kind bars - have never seen them. Thanks!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Try Kind bars. I love them and to me are much better than Lara Bars.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

I don't like Lara Bars either. Thought I was the only one!
Gluten Free since 2010

#9 Brenna'sMom

Brenna'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

I do enjoy LaraBars, especially the Key Lime Pie and Coconut varieties. I have recently found Bora-Bora Bars, though, and am totally in love! :D

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

My daughter and I do not like any of them. We don't see the appeal.

But when I was on a raw vegan diet, I tried some brownies that were really good. The recipe I am posting is just the first one I found. It isn't exactly what I used. The one I used had no honey or agave nectar and no coconut but other than that I believe it is the same. So you might try that. But keep in mind it won't be raw unless you use truly raw products. Not an issue though if you don't follow that kind of diet.

http://therawtarian....brownie-recipe/

#11 blueshabooMoon

blueshabooMoon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

Lara bars seem to be beloved by many. I tried one a few months ago and did not care for it (apple, I think). At the grocery store this morning they were on sale for $1.49 each (and several kinds available) so I bought more (we have an upcoming trip to Europe so want to stock up). I tried the cherry flavour and literally had a hard time finishing it! That is extremely unusual for me as I love food utterly. So, what flavours are your favourites? Which shall I try? I would like to like them because they are convenient. As I'm a scratch cook I always believe homemade is better and of course I am aware that we all have different tastes but these somehow evade me. I do not loathe them - but am disappointed. :( I would rather "spend" my fat and calories elsewhere! :D Anyone else disillusioned? :P

Hi, It`s not just you, I cannot make myself fimish a bar either,waste of money, Blah! try find different snack goodie.Terri

#12 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm one of those that like Lara Bars. For me, I love dates, raisins, craisin and other dried fruit along with plain nuts. I can eat any of those things just alone as a snack and that's pretty much all there is to Lara Bars. I think some people try them expecting them to taste just like their names--like the apple pie one does not taste anything like apple pie! It just has some seasonings in common with apple pie. So if you have that expectation and try them then, yeah, you probably won't like them. The "lemon bar" does not compare to a lemon bar at all but it does have a nice lemony flavor, etc, etc. My favorite is either the cashew cookie or peanut butter cookie--just don't expect them to be as sweet as an actual cookie since they don't add any sugar to them. The Key Lime Pie is pretty good too. If you don't like them however it's really no big deal. I've been reading all the scrumptious, rich and delicate desserts that you make since you came on this board. If I ate dessert on regualr basis I probably would never want a Lara Bar either. They cetainly don't compare to eating actual key lime pie or actual peanut butter cookies. :P
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

I'm one of those that like Lara Bars. For me, I love dates, raisins, craisin and other dried fruit along with plain nuts. I can eat any of those things just alone as a snack and that's pretty much all there is to Lara Bars. I think some people try them expecting them to taste just like their names--like the apple pie one does not taste anything like apple pie! It just has some seasonings in common with apple pie. So if you have that expectation and try them then, yeah, you probably won't like them. The "lemon bar" does not compare to a lemon bar at all but it does have a nice lemony flavor, etc, etc. My favorite is either the cashew cookie or peanut butter cookie--just don't expect them to be as sweet as an actual cookie since they don't add any sugar to them. The Key Lime Pie is pretty good too. If you don't like them however it's really no big deal. I've been reading all the scrumptious, rich and delicate desserts that you make since you came on this board. If I ate dessert on regualr basis I probably would never want a Lara Bar either. They cetainly don't compare to eating actual key lime pie or actual peanut butter cookies. :P

You know, I think that's it! I expected them to taste as advertised! I was expecting something completely different. Not that they're bad - they're not - but just not what I thought they would be. I, too, love dried fruits and nuts but to be honest prefer other dessert-y sorts of things. I'm a texture person and love to incorporate crunchy, smooth, crispy, chewy all into one thing if I can. I will still take them with me on our trip because they are convenient and certainly not available where we're going. :)

#14 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

You know, I think that's it! I expected them to taste as advertised! I was expecting something completely different. Not that they're bad - they're not - but just not what I thought they would be. I, too, love dried fruits and nuts but to be honest prefer other dessert-y sorts of things. I'm a texture person and love to incorporate crunchy, smooth, crispy, chewy all into one thing if I can. I will still take them with me on our trip because they are convenient and certainly not available where we're going. :)

I think you've got it. Just think of them as a snack, NOT a dessert and you will probably like them more. ;)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

I think you've got it. Just think of them as a snack, NOT a dessert and you will probably like them more. ;)

Great advice. Sometimes my expectations are a wee bit high... :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: