arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Last Question: Do I Request Specific Test For 6Yo?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slee11211

slee11211

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Bear with me, new to this...but I seem to be gleaning from this forum that there are some tests better than others for Celiac (and I could be wrong!).

I'm taking 6yr old in tomorrow AM for test. Do I trust the ped to know what to do, or do I just tell them the exact test we would like done? My little guy is deathly afraid of needles, so there is NO way I want to have to do this twice.

Anyone have the lowdown on latest greatest test?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

Bear with me, new to this...but I seem to be gleaning from this forum that there are some tests better than others for Celiac (and I could be wrong!).

I'm taking 6yr old in tomorrow AM for test. Do I trust the ped to know what to do, or do I just tell them the exact test we would like done? My little guy is deathly afraid of needles, so there is NO way I want to have to do this twice.

Thanks.

The most up to date test for Celiac is the DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide) antibidy screen AND the tTG (tissue transglutaminase) antibody screen. The DGP is replacing the older gliadin antibody tests, which some docs may not be aware of.

I would tell the ped the exact tests that you want. Write it down and show him:

1) DGP antibody screen
2) tTG
3) Total Iga
4) HLA DQ2 and DQ8 genes

These are the tests my doc recently ordered for me, and she said that they were the standard screening tests now. Somebody else may have another test to ask for, but these 4 are a good start. Remember, he is working for you! Good luck! B)
Celiac DX 9/2011 ~ Gluten free ever since
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 10/2011
Premature Ovarian Failure 11/2010
Rheumatoid Arthritis 10/2011
Sjogren's Disease 10/2011

"The best way out is always through" ~Robert Frost

#3 The Horticulturalist

The Horticulturalist

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thanks.

Did I read in another post that you are in NYC? perhaps the people at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia can offer some help for you? http://www.celiacdis...edu/CF-HOME.htm

If his blood work comes back positive,or in the 'weak' positive range I'd absolutely contact a place like that with experienced pediatric gastroenterologists who are knowledgeable in this area.

#4 slee11211

slee11211

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:47 AM

The most up to date test for Celiac is the DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide) antibidy screen AND the tTG (tissue transglutaminase) antibody screen. The DGP is replacing the older gliadin antibody tests, which some docs may not be aware of.

I would tell the ped the exact tests that you want. Write it down and show him:

1) DGP antibody screen
2) tTG
3) Total Iga
4) HLA DQ2 and DQ8 genes

These are the tests my doc recently ordered for me, and she said that they were the standard screening tests now. Somebody else may have another test to ask for, but these 4 are a good start. Remember, he is working for you! Good luck! B)

Thanks! Written down.

#5 slee11211

slee11211

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:50 AM

Did I read in another post that you are in NYC? perhaps the people at the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia can offer some help for you? http://www.celiacdis...edu/CF-HOME.htm

If his blood work comes back positive,or in the 'weak' positive range I'd absolutely contact a place like that with experienced pediatric gastroenterologists who are knowledgeable in this area.

Yes, nyc....I had thought about going to them, and may still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: