3 replies to this topic

#1 Poppi

Poppi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

I just got home from 6 days at a convention in San Diego and I had a wonderful time. I was really worried about eating well down there so I went down well armed with GoPicnic Humus and Cracker meals and lots of protein shake pouches and meal replacement bars (from a brand which is apparently a lame advertisement when mentioned here. :rolleyes: )

I was with my mom who is also gluten free which was nice.

I did have a shake for breakfast every morning because it was definitely hard to find safe breakfast but we were also just a 10 minute walk away from a Ralphs's so we loaded up the hotel fridge with yogurt, fruit, juice and snacks.

I had 3 wonderful meals at Roy's. The have a great gluten free menu, the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and demi glace was to die for and I finished off each of those three meals with a gluten free chocolate souffle.

We also ate at Joe's Crab shack which has a great gluten free menu and several other places which didn't have gluten-free menus but did their very best to help me out even if it just meant that I ate ceviche with tortilla chips and maybe a plate of mussels steamed with butter and wine.

Also had a wonderful meal in the nice restaurant beside the visitor center in Balboa park before going to the zoo. They had many gluten-free options on the menu.

I had a great time, my back is a little sore but that's to be expected. I have traveled quite a bit over the past couple of weeks and have eaten at least 25 meals at restaurants so some cc is inevitable.

Just want to let anyone who is travelling to San Deigo and staying around the Gaslamp District or the Convention center that you will be well cared for.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

Awesome news, Sara! I was wondering how you were managing.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 Poppi

Poppi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for thinking of me.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff off Amazon and brought back a 45 pound box of gluten free food as checked baggage. A few bottles of amazing balsamic vinegar from a little store in SD, 12 pounds of Pamela's pancake mix (my kids' favourite but expensive here), gluten free worchestershire sauce, Udi's granola, 250 individual pouches of gluten free tamari so I can go out for sushi and some other stuff. The TSA cut my box open and repacked it less than carefully and one of the bags of pancake mix split open but other than that it all survived.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for thinking of me.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff off Amazon and brought back a 45 pound box of gluten free food as checked baggage. A few bottles of amazing balsamic vinegar from a little store in SD, 12 pounds of Pamela's pancake mix (my kids' favourite but expensive here), gluten free worchestershire sauce, Udi's granola, 250 individual pouches of gluten free tamari so I can go out for sushi and some other stuff. The TSA cut my box open and repacked it less than carefully and one of the bags of pancake mix split open but other than that it all survived.

You obviously planned ahead! I have not been to the US in ages but when my in-laws go for the winter they stock up and bring back gluten-free Worcestershire, etc. as well. It is sickening how much cheaper things are there, too!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: