13 replies to this topic

#1 WinterSong

WinterSong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

I just found out that the nail polish I've been using from Nicka K isn't gluten free. Shoot.

Does anyone know of a gluten free nail polish that's easy to find?

Diagnosed with IBS - Fall 2007

Diagnosed with Celiac via blood test (tTg off the charts) - March 18th, 2011

Gluten free as of March 25th, 2011 and going strong!

Positive biopsy April 1st, 2011

Blood test results back down to normal levels November 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

I just found out that Wed N Wild nail polish is all gluten free. Just thought I'd share! :)

#3 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:03 AM

Jessica, just curious to know what reactions you have to nail polish that is not gluten-free. I have my nails done and use OPI nail polish...no clue as to whether it's gluten-free or not.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'm actually not sure if I had a reaction at all. I've been extremely tired lately, though that may be from overwork/stress (I very much need a vacation). Other than that I feel fine.

Part of the reason why I wear nail polish is because I have a bad habit of picking at my nails and sometimes biting them, but I don't when I wear polish because I don't want to mess up how nice it looks. I don't have DH, and the only instances when I've had nail-to-mouth contact is when I've eaten with my hands and flossed.

But I took off the polish last night, and I'm officially giving away that bottle. Better safe than sorry, right?

PS I emailed OPI last night. I'll post their response. :)

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:04 AM

I'll be interested to hear the response from OPI. Since I've been having my nails done for years with acrylic overlays and the salon I go to uses OPI polish, I really don't have any reason to feel that I have a problem with it...although that doesn't mean it would work for everyone.
Sylvia

#6 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Just received a response! So nice that they were so quick and specific! :)

The following OPI products contain hydrolyzed wheat and/or oat protein, which may have traces of gluten. These products should definitely be avoided by anyone with gluten sensitivity:

Acrylic Nail Base Coat
Feet – Clear Matte nail strengthener
Start to Finish basecoat, topcoat, and nail strengthener
Start to Finish, Formaldehyde Free Formula
Nail Envy, Original
Nail Envy, Matte
Nail Envy, Maintenance
Nail Envy, Dry & Brittle
Nail Envy, Sensitive & Peeling
Nail Envy, Soft & Thin
Nail Envy, Cool Pink (limited distribution)
Nail Envy, Warm Peach (limited distribution)
Nicole by OPI Strengthener Plus
Nic’s Stics – Tough Girl

At this time, all other currently manufactured OPI products should contain no gluten. However – three additional cautions are in order:

(1) Older versions of some products may contain this ingredient, in particular the old versions of Natural Nail Basecoat and Designer Series Basecoat. Older versions of products may be encountered on store or warehouse shelves for a year or two after discontinuance. Always check the label if unsure.

(2) Although all reasonable precautions are taken, trace accidental cross contamination of other nail treatments or lacquers cannot be entirely ruled out, as all products are made and filled with the same equipment. Such an exposure would be extremely low, but people with exceptional sensitivity might have a problem.

(3) It is anecdotally reported that solvents such as Ethyl Acetate (which is in everything) and Ethyl Alcohol (which is also commonly used) can cause a problem if they are ultimately derived from wheat or barley. These solvents are normally derived from sugar or corn but the possibility of a wheat-derived source cannot be totally ruled out, nor can it easily be traced in the supply chain. It should be noted even if these solvents were derived from wheat, they are several reaction and/or purification steps removed from it, and it seems (from a scientific perspective) impossible that a large protein like gluten could be carried through the distillation and purification processes into the final product -- however, a very few unusually sensitive people do insist that wheat derived solvents cause problems. So perhaps there is something science just doesn’t yet know.

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:52 AM

Thanks, Jessica! Since I have acrylic overlays, no base coat is used. My nail polish is called "Nail Lacquer" and I have no idea what the top coat is. Since I have no problem with it, I'll not be concerned about it.
Sylvia

#8 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Message from Sally Hansen:

Dear Jessica:

Thank you for E-mailing us regarding our Sally Hansen Portfolio. We are always pleased to hear from our consumers and we appreciate your enthusiasm for our products.

As required by law, each product's package, insert or hang-tag exhibits a complete list of its ingredients. If the words "gluten," "wheat", "barley", "rye", or "oat" are absent from that ingredient listing, then the product was not formulated to include gluten. For your convenience, a list of specific cosmetics ingredients derived from these grain sources is enclosed.

We hope this information is helpful and invite you to contact our Consumer Affairs Department with any additional questions. It is always our pleasure to assist you.

Lisa Inglesino
Coordinator
Coty Inc Global Consumer Affairs
Sally Hansen/N.Y.C./LaCross brands ph: 800-953-5080 (US & Canada)
Borghese ph: 800-954-5080 (US only)
WWW.COTY.COM

_____________________________________________________________________________-

They sent me a list of common cosmetic ingredients that are derived from gluten, but I can't figure out a way to copy/paste it to the forum. If anyone would like the list, send me a message with your email, and I'll be happy to email it to you. B)

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

Just received a response! So nice that they were so quick and specific! :)

The following OPI products contain hydrolyzed wheat and/or oat protein, which may have traces of gluten. These products should definitely be avoided by anyone with gluten sensitivity:

Acrylic Nail Base Coat
Feet – Clear Matte nail strengthener
Start to Finish basecoat, topcoat, and nail strengthener
Start to Finish, Formaldehyde Free Formula
Nail Envy, Original
Nail Envy, Matte
Nail Envy, Maintenance
Nail Envy, Dry & Brittle
Nail Envy, Sensitive & Peeling
Nail Envy, Soft & Thin
Nail Envy, Cool Pink (limited distribution)
Nail Envy, Warm Peach (limited distribution)
Nicole by OPI Strengthener Plus
Nic’s Stics – Tough Girl

At this time, all other currently manufactured OPI products should contain no gluten. However – three additional cautions are in order:

(1) Older versions of some products may contain this ingredient, in particular the old versions of Natural Nail Basecoat and Designer Series Basecoat. Older versions of products may be encountered on store or warehouse shelves for a year or two after discontinuance. Always check the label if unsure.

(2) Although all reasonable precautions are taken, trace accidental cross contamination of other nail treatments or lacquers cannot be entirely ruled out, as all products are made and filled with the same equipment. Such an exposure would be extremely low, but people with exceptional sensitivity might have a problem.

(3) It is anecdotally reported that solvents such as Ethyl Acetate (which is in everything) and Ethyl Alcohol (which is also commonly used) can cause a problem if they are ultimately derived from wheat or barley. These solvents are normally derived from sugar or corn but the possibility of a wheat-derived source cannot be totally ruled out, nor can it easily be traced in the supply chain. It should be noted even if these solvents were derived from wheat, they are several reaction and/or purification steps removed from it, and it seems (from a scientific perspective) impossible that a large protein like gluten could be carried through the distillation and purification processes into the final product -- however, a very few unusually sensitive people do insist that wheat derived solvents cause problems. So perhaps there is something science just doesn’t yet know.

Isn't the OPI nail polish the gel which has to be soaked off? I should warn you that they generally use acetone to soak it off and I would worry more about soaking anything skin connected in acetone than worrying about whether there is wheat or barley in it. I work in a lab, using chemicals, and there are strict guidelines about the use of acetone. I have been in nail salons which use this polish and there are people there soaking out the polish with acetone. That just blows my mind as direct contact with acetone can cause kidney problems and many others. We use gloves and work with it under a chemical hood. You would be in much more danger there than with wheat in the polish or the alcohols used in processing.

#10 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but when I was a teenager I started getting terrible pinkeye-type symptoms. My eyes grew so red and sore and crusty I couldn't even open them in the morning. The doctor said I was probably allergic to nail polish. (I think he meant the fumes while putting it in.) I stopped using it and have never had trouble since.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#11 WinterSong

WinterSong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Here's one more! This is from a company with inexpensive products that I found at drug stores in NY.

Dear Jessica,

I'm writing to you from Brucci Ltd.
We are located in New York.

Your e-mail was forwarded to me from our distributor in So. Africa.

In regards to your question of gluten, I'm pleased to say the none of our polish contains gluten, however, the treatment called MIRACLE NAIL HARDENER does.

Should you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Thank You!

DONNA SCHIAVONE
MANAGER/CONTROLLER
BRUCCI LTD.

#12 gary'sgirl

gary'sgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

JessicaNYC, Thanks so much for posting this information.

My kids and I are extremely sensitive to gluten and I am continually trying to think of ways that we might be getting gluten - I hadn't yet thought of nail polish, but I am going to get rid of ours in case that could be a problem.

#13 Gogol

Gogol

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

Some Chanel nail polishes are gluten free, you should read the ingredient composition. Also Dior nail polishes are gluten-free.

#14 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

Wow! I never even thought about nail polish having gluten. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: