7 replies to this topic

#1 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hi all. I will be 39 in a week and after it taking 8 years of getting a diagnosis of celiac disease, I feel my body is starting to heal.(It's taken about a year and 1/2) I am wanting a child but will be 39 and am scared about the risks involved. Can anyone give me any insight? My diet is controlled but I know with age comes other problems with pregnancy.
Any encouraging thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jststric

jststric

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:31 AM

I would check with your doctor. I don't have experience with pregnancy while having Celiac....I became gluten-intolerant and other foods too, in mid-life. But I would say if you are basically a healthy person, otherwise, it most likely could be controlled with doctor's help. I wouldn't waste any time checking into it, tho. A child is such a blessing....don't give up on that desire. Worst case scenario should the medical news not be good....adoption is a great gift to give a child, yourself!! Blessings to you!

#3 SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:16 AM

An OB/GYN can test your FSH level and let you know where you're at in terms of number of eggs left, etc. They look for anything under 24, I believe. FSH = Follicle Stimulating Hormone. My sister in law had a baby at 40. I could not. You never know. I am adopted and am so thankful to both moms, though I've never met one of them. Big decisions, and I wish you luck!
Daughter diagnosed with celiac via endoscopy, April, 2011.
Mom, Dad and daughter all go gluten free.
We live in the Twin Cities, MN.

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi all. I will be 39 in a week and after it taking 8 years of getting a diagnosis of celiac disease, I feel my body is starting to heal.(It's taken about a year and 1/2) I am wanting a child but will be 39 and am scared about the risks involved. Can anyone give me any insight? My diet is controlled but I know with age comes other problems with pregnancy.

I agree that you should meet with your OB to discuss. I do know plenty of women, both personally and professionally, who have had healthy babies in their early forties. Good luck!!

#5 gflooser

gflooser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

I agree that you should meet with your OB to discuss. I do know plenty of women, both personally and professionally, who have had healthy babies in their early forties. Good luck!!

hi there, just came upon this post..
i have 4 kids, my last came when i was 39. i had my tubes tied 6 years ago, so she was a blessing in disguise:) i was dx with celiac disease 10 years ago. so 2 of my pregnanices were before dx, 2 after. they really didn't seem to be different in any way.
i agree you should talk, talk, talk to the drs. get ttheir opinions. but i want to sharesomething with you that i heard from someone else. you might regret NOT haveing children, but you will never regret HAVING them!!!! best of luck on your decision!!!
gluten-free for 7 years pos. biopsy
98 pounds lost!!!!

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

I had my second child at age 38. He is now 14 and very healthy (except for celiac) and intelligent, mainly A's in school. He was almost 9 pounds at birth, though I gained less than 25 lbs. The pregnancy was uneventful and I had him with no medications. I was able to exercise throughout my pregnancy.

I hadn't been diagnosed with celiac yet, but had already been having uncontrollable D for 4 years or so, so I must have been pretty sick with it. I think that pregnancy and nursing put the celiac "into remission" to some extent. It wasn't until afterwards that things started to go downhill again.

Good luck with your decision. Kids are a wonderful addition to your life.

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

My wife never had celiac but she did have our second child at age 38. Said child is fine and healthy and is now a freshman in college. Smart guy, too.

richard

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

It's so-called "high risk" but I have a friend who just had a perfectly healthy baby at age 41. The big thing you have to decide is how you will handle the considerably higher Down's Syndrome risks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: