This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fruit Snacks

gf4life

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I have contacted General Mills, Kellogg's, and Kraft/Nabisco about their fruit snacks. My kids don't want to have to give them up, and I know that General Mills Fruit Roll Ups are gluten and casein free. But does any one know about the others? Those are the brands that my kids eat regularly and that is the one treat they are allowed daily, since I limit their candy consumption. I am now looking at putting the extras into a pinata at my daughters b-day party next month, and telling my kids not to grab any of them. They are doing well on the switch over to the gluten free and dairy free lifestyle. My boys informed their sunday school teacher that they could not eat any cookies or crackers unless mom send them , and that they had to save the candy until after church so mom could check if it was safe. :D I'm so proud of them. Even my 4 year old daughter did not eat the cookie's at the snack time!

If you know if any of these fruit snacks are safe, please let me know.

God bless,

Mariann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

I got a response from Kellogg's.

Thank you for contacting Kellogg Company regarding our Kellogg's®

Disney Fruit Snacks product line. We appreciate your time in

contacting us.

At Kellogg Company, we understand and share the concerns expressed by

consumers who are affected by food allergies. Kellogg has been one of the

leaders in the food industry in devising manufacturing processes to reduce

the risk of allergens from contaminating allergen-free products. We have

worked extensively with allergy organizations and research groups so that

we understand the seriousness and complexities of food allergies.

Currently, our Kellogg's® Disney Fruit Snacks are gluten free.

However, because product formulations can change at any time, we encourage

our consumers to check the ingredient statement on each package they

intend to purchase, every time they shop. The Nutrition Facts on each

package will contain the most up-to-date information regarding the

ingredients contained in that product.

If you have any further questions or want to discuss this matter further,

please feel free to contact our Consumer Affairs toll-free line at

1-800-962-0052. Our toll-free line is open between the hours of 8 am to

4:30 pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

We appreciate your interest in our company and products.

Steve Redmond

Consumer Affairs

Kellogg Company

005957493A

Kellogg North America

PO Box CAMB

Battle Creek, MI 49016-1986

Kraft and General Mills will get back to me later according to their computer generated responses.

God bless,

Mariann

plantime Contributor

I emailed General Mills about the modified food starch in the Lucky Charms cereal, and was told that General Mills specifies in the ingredients list any gluten-containing product used in their products. If it does not say wheat, barley, or rye, it is gluten-free. They are trying to accomodate us! :lol:

gf4life Enthusiast

This is the response I got from General Mills. it pretty much backs up what you said Dessa! :)

Thank you for contacting General Mills regarding gluten in General Mills products.

It is our primary goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or other sources of gluten, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product

plantime Contributor

I am glad to see that they are being consistant! I am also glad to have the assurance from them. I got the same response from Con-Agra, in regards to ALL Con-Agra brands. Now I know that I can just check the labels on certain brands. I called Quaker about their oats, and was told that they are processed on a dedicated line. I can't control, and neither can they, field contamination, so I let God handle that part!

kejohe Apprentice

I buy the "Flat Fruit" from Treetop for my son, it's 100% fruit and gives him a full serving a fruits per bar. He is also a very picky eater, but seems to love them. They also make a snack bar called "Fruit & Veggie" it's also 100% fruit/veg and gives them 2 servings of fruit & 1 serving of veg per bar.

gf4life Enthusiast

Kathleen,

Where do you get the "flat fruit"? I would like to get the real fruit bars since they are healthier, and Costco used to sell then, but they stopped a few years back. I can usually only find them in healthfood stores now and they are very pricey. With three kids (who want to eat them everyday) I can't afford $.50(and up) each. That would be around $50.00 a month just for fruit snacks! I'll keep looking for ones in bulk. If you know of anywhere online that sells them please let me know.

God bless,

Mariann :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ruth Enthusiast

I have found that the Betty Crocker brand fruit snacks (a Kraft brand) are also gluten-free. Kraft will list any gluten containing ingredients on their ingredient list as well.

Has any one heard if the Brach's brand are gluten-free? I have not had success in getting a reply from them.

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Ruth,

I heard that not all Brachs brands are gluten-free (but this is not confirmed), and since my kids don't like the taste/texture of them I just avoid all of them anyhow.

God bless,

Mariann

mario Explorer

I'm just waiting for a phone call from them but, I'm convinced they are gluten-free..

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
hillary-h Rookie

My daughter loves fruit roll-ups I remember reading some wher that fruit roll-ups are gluten-free but I dont remember reading a brand are all fruit roll-ups gluten-free?

plantime Contributor

Did any of you know that you can make your own fruit roll-ups? You need a food dehydrator, some cheesecloth, and your favorite fruit. My recipe says to mash up your fruit, removing skins and seeds, spread it on the cheesecloth about 1/4 inch thick, and put it in the dehydrator until it is a rubbery consistency. I haven't tried it yet, my dehydrator got dropped and shattered, but I will when I get a new one! It sounds like a delicious carry-along snack!

kejohe Apprentice

Mariann,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on where I buy the flat fruit. You might try the Treetop website and see if they'll ship it in bulk. I buy mine at my local grocery store, in the same area as fresh produce, but your right, they are pricy, I pay 49 cents a piece, but luckily, I only have one child to feed, so it's nbot so bad.

Regarding making your own fruit leather, it is very easy and you don't need a dehydrator, you can use your oven on it's absolute lowest heat setting, and it's very time consuming, but yummy.

Heres a recipe:

1 to 2 # favorite fruit, peeled & seeded

1 to 2 Tbs lemon juice (this is essential to denature the protiens in the fruit & help release the moisture, it's not for flavor so you only need a little)

sugar to taste

You need to puree the fruit in a foor processor till it's smooth. Add lemon juice and sugar. Spread in a thin layer on a sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper and bake at the lowest heat setting in your oven for several hours, or until leathery. Cool and cut into strips or tear apart and enjoy.

I made some with peaches not to long ago, and it cooked for about 5 hours. your time will vary depending on the water content of your fruit and how thick you spread it in your pan. Things like apples, pears & grapes with thinner skins don't need to be peeled, the skins puree nicely in the food processor, but obviously peaches, nectarines, bananas and such do.

Hope you enjoy! :D

gf4life Enthusiast

I have made real fruit roll-ups in my dehydrator before, but it takes so long and they are gone so fast. With the cost of electricity (and gas for the stove!) I figured it would cost about the same and be easier to buy them.

Thanks Kathleen, I'll check out the Treetop site. :)

God bless,

Mariann

• 7 years later...
charliesmom Rookie

Just following up on this -has anyone's kids reacted to fruit snacks of any kind? Mine has had a bunch of kelloggs ones and I am curious.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Just following up on this -has anyone's kids reacted to fruit snacks of any kind? Mine has had a bunch of kelloggs ones and I am curious.

This post was started in 2004. I don't think most of the above posters are still on this site. That said Betty Crocker fruits snacks are almost all gluten free and they say so on the box. I don't know about Kellogs. AFAIK Kellogs has not had any gluten-free stuff until recently when they anounced they were formulating a gluten-free Rice Krispies (not in stores yet).

Nor-TX Enthusiast

All the Welch's fruit jellies in bags are gluten and dairy free. I pack them in the little snack ziplock bags and keep them in the pantry for a quick grab and go snack.

Kim27 Contributor

Welch's has gluten-free fruit snacks. Says it right on the box and each individual packet.

charliesmom Rookie

I know this is silly, but I was curious specifically about the Kellogg's ones. My friend dropped off an enormous amount of Kellogg's fruit snacks. Her kid has EE and doesn't eat wheat so I have trusted them and fed them to him. However, my son is currently reacting to something and I can't figure out what!! I have given away the rest of these but the mystery is still there ;)

CarolinaKip Community Regular

For anyone that has an ALDI near them, I picked up "Lunch buddies" All Natural (no corn syrup) fruit flavored twist. A fruit and veggie blend in grape or strawberry. I like the grape the best. They are labled gluten-free and they have gluten-free gummies too.

• 1 year later...
ohio nanny Newbie

I tried the Kellogg's fruity snacks today. I saw them at WalMart, only fifty cents and thought they would be perfect for travel. I carefully checked the ingredients and saw that there was nothing listed that should be a red flag. Shortly after I developed a terrible case of really stinky gas, and then got a nose bleed. I was diagnosed 2 months ago and have been very diligent about my diet. Before going on the gluten-free diet, I had that terrible gas and had nose bleeds daily. This is the first one I have had since. It had to have been from these fruit snacks as I had nothing else different today. Has anyone else had a problem with them?

Archived