3 replies to this topic

#1 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hi Everyone, Hope someone can help. I have been gluten free for a little over 2 years now and was doing great until a few months ago when I started with some reflux and some occasional slight stomach pain and bloating. These are typical celiac symptoms for me but they were not at all as severe as they were before diagnosis. My Gi thought I might be ingesting small amounts of gluten so I decided to make my kitchen 100 percent gluten free in case I was getting CC from 2 kids and hubby. I noticed some improvement after a week but now I think I am having issues with dairy. I am noticing after ingesting alot of cheese I have a terrible night of bloating gas and backache. I am 2 days dairy free now and I have improved but still feel slightly bloated and my back aches but my reflux is gone. Is it possible if I was getting CC for a few months that that is why I am having the dairy problem? How long should it take for me to feel completely back to normal after going dairy free? My insides feel kind of beat up. Is this a normal reaction to an intolerance to dairy? I never had a problem before. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

My understanding is that it could be days to a few months to recover and tolerate milk again if you've been getting some gluten cc. Or could be developing issues with milk no matter what. :-(

If after a few months dairy is still an issue, I'd guess that you have a dairy problem, or you are still getting gluten cc somewhere. Unfortunately, if you are in the USA, there's no regulation specifically for gluten-free foods, so a number of companies and restaurants are jumping on the gluten free band wagon without being as careful of gluten cc as we celiacs need. Very frustrating!

Are most of your processed foods from certified or trusted gluten free companies? If you have a few products that just have 'no gluten ingredients,' they might be worth checking out as a contamination source, too. Also, labeling-wise, the label 'also processed in a facility that processes wheat' is a voluntary label, not a madatory one, so some beans, nuts, and dried fruit can be processed in a facility with wheat and not have that label. You have to call them up to check, annoyingly.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#3 chasbari

chasbari

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:03 PM

Just have to throw this out there for what it's worth. I have been using raw dairy now to great effect for 4 months. I was not able to get to the farm (out of state) recently so I decided to try some Kefir from the local health food store made with pasteurized milk. Got very ugly boils all over my hips and the tops of my thighs. Kefir was the only thing different and this is similar to what I would get when consuming regular pasteurized milk years ago. Stopped the kefir and the boils are healing up and going away.

#4 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

Processed foods ? you gave me something to think about -I dont eat much of them but I will be even more careful about that. Hopefully this passes as I love my dairy but I will look into raw dairy too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: