#1 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi,
I need help. I am pregnant again and am craving apple pie. Do any of you have any suggestions for pre-made gluten-free frozen apple pies and/or crusts that I can fill and bake? Or bakeries that may be able to ship apple pie to me? I am so desperate that I would actually settle for any type of fruit filled pie at this point!
Thanks a bunch!
J

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hi,
I need help. I am pregnant again and am craving apple pie. Do any of you have any suggestions for pre-made gluten-free frozen apple pies and/or crusts that I can fill and bake? Or bakeries that may be able to ship apple pie to me? I am so desperate that I would actually settle for any type of fruit filled pie at this point!
Thanks a bunch!
J

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but Whole Foods have frozen pre-make pie shells.

Or you could contact the Gluten Free Galley. I understand they are working of mixes. http://www.glutenfreegalley.com/

Apple crisps can be made with crumbled up cookies. And there is a recipe floating around here for an apple crisp (or other fruit) using Pamela's Yellow Cake Mix.

AND Congratulations!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

For me, it's the cooked apples and the cinnamon. I have never liked the crust. I make homemade applesauce with lots of cinnamon. You could just cook apple slices with cinnamon and a small amount of brown sugar. Even a can of apple pie filling heated up if the crust isn't important. Whole Foods and other health food or groceries that have a big gluten-free section will have frozen pie crusts.

Oh!!! Congrats on the baby!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

Thank you so much for the ideas ladies! I will start working on cooked apples with cinnamon and add in cookie crumbles today to curb my craving. I really appreciate your help!

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

Hi,
Thanks a bunch!
J

What about making just the filling? Apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, a touch of lemon juice and a touch of cornstarch, baked in the oven. We make this dessert ALL the time. You can even add a crumb topping (gluten-free flour mixed with cold butter with a bit more cinnamon and brown sugar!)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hi,
Thanks a bunch!
J

I bought a gluten free apple pie from Whole Foods once that was insanely wonderful. Also, check Mariposa Gluten Free Bakery, in Oakland California. I don't know if they make apple pies, but everything I've tried of theirs is delicious, and they do ship their products. Good luck!
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

#7 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

Achatz Pies in Michigan has started making gluten free pies. Michigan four berry pie is da bomb (as in awesome)!
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: