Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Why Is Barley Malt Added To So Many Breakfast Cereals?

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#16 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

If you need to post b) there are two ways to make it happen. The first is to insert format codes between the two characters, as in

b[i][/i])
There is also a post-wide option in the main editor. Look below for "Click to configure post options" - one of the options is to disable emoticons.

Alright all sorted now! Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Kellogg's has come out with gluten-free Rice Krispies. They're made from brown rice and the boxes are very well marked gluten-free on the front.

Just came across an article from Aus Food News http://www.ausfoodne...pies-in-us.html and it seems as though Kellogg's has no plans to introduce the gluten free version of the Rice Krispies equivalent (Rice Bubbles). That was, at least according to their spokesperson. :rolleyes:

However, it was also quoted that "the door was open if there was strong demand among Australian consumers." :D

Let's get to it and ask them for their gluten free Rice Bubbles: http://www.kellogg.c...60/Default.aspx

#18 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:11 AM

I can see what you are saying about Coles. Because they are actually in partnership with Coealic Australia and sponsor lots of the events including the gluten free expo this week (yaayyy!!). But I have to say.....Gluten free cereals are really really starting to grow on me. Freedom foods do this one called 'Berry Good morning' it has cornflakes and other stuff and has dates and cranberries - soooo delish. Even if there were gluten free rice crispies I don't think I'd bother switching! :)
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#19 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

Even if there were gluten free rice crispies I don't think I'd bother switching! :)

I don't know that I would necessarily either. But the concept of more gluten free cereals is always a good sign and increases awareness of coeliac disease and the importance a gluten free diet plays in our lives. ;)

Still wish coles would make their corn chips completely gluten free though and actually stock some of their own gluten free range rather than just 'rely' on external suppliers :unsure:

Woolworths is worse though. They've basically tried copying other brands and replacing their own products in the health food aisle with 'their own' versions of cookies and mixes. Some of them aren't too bad; but again many of their cheesy flavoured corn chips carry one of those similar disclaimers on them - just like pretty much everywhere else. Oh, how I'd give for some nice heavily flavoured cheese-surpreme flavoured corn chips right now :o

#20 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:01 PM

I don't know that I would necessarily either. But the concept of more gluten free cereals is always a good sign and increases awareness of coeliac disease and the importance a gluten free diet plays in our lives. ;)

Still wish coles would make their corn chips completely gluten free though and actually stock some of their own gluten free range rather than just 'rely' on external suppliers :unsure:

Woolworths is worse though. They've basically tried copying other brands and replacing their own products in the health food aisle with 'their own' versions of cookies and mixes. Some of them aren't too bad; but again many of their cheesy flavoured corn chips carry one of those similar disclaimers on them - just like pretty much everywhere else. Oh, how I'd give for some nice heavily flavoured cheese-surpreme flavoured corn chips right now :o

I'm eating a pack of woolworths select cheese supreme right now - gluten free....yum :)

#21 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

I'm eating a pack of woolworths select cheese supreme right now - gluten free....yum :)

You serious! Are they corn chips? And are they completely gluten free? :unsure:

If so, that's great. If not, I'll contact them!

They're probably fine in any case though :unsure:

#22 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

You serious! Are they corn chips? And are they completely gluten free? :unsure:

If so, that's great. If not, I'll contact them!

They're probably fine in any case though :unsure:

They don't say gluten free, but they have no gluten containing ingredients and they state in their allergy advice only milk and soy. If it had gluten they absolutely must state it in their allergen advice. Its the Law :P
I'm so happy too- I only found them the other day - they are just like CCs or doritos.

#23 kellynolan82

kellynolan82

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

That's great news beebs :D

Haven't been to Woolies in a while so I'll look forward to having some next time I'm out that way... ;)

Thanks for letting me know!

#24 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:39 PM

Well, we can get a bunch of gluten free cereals here, but they all look too healthy for me to bother with. A non-gluten free friend loves one of them I passed a bag onto him when I realised I was never going to be inspired to eat it. He calls it "rice shards" :-) I just don't eat cereal at all anymore now that I can't eat oats. Really, in asking for the barley malt to be removed we're saying we want to be able to eat the super processed sugary ones :-)

I eat myself sick on chex whenever I'm in the states and I bring some back with me. Yum. Ironically, I never ate any of those sugary mainstream cereals when I could eat anything I liked, but chex is now a wonderful treat. I can't see it as a nutritious breakfast food though, whatever the box says about wholegrain! I'm currently rationing out the last of the cinnamon flavoured box (I'm sure it won't last the weekend).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: