11 replies to this topic

#1 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

What can be substituted for almond meal, or dry milk powder in this gluten free recipe?

http://www.food.com/...ch-bread-452603

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

are you also nut and dair sensitive, is that why you're asking, or because you just don't have either of those things on hand at the mo?

I'm not sure why the original recipe uses almond meal specifically as a sub for the powdered milk, the textures are completely different, and any bread recipe I've seen usually only uses a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk, not half a cup! Unless they're just looking for a calcium ingredient...?

I'd suggest you can probably go without either entirely. I can't find a good reason why dairy is required in a bread recipe to begin with.

#3 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

are you also nut and dair sensitive, is that why you're asking, or because you just don't have either of those things on hand at the mo?

I'm not sure why the original recipe uses almond meal specifically as a sub for the powdered milk, the textures are completely different, and any bread recipe I've seen usually only uses a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk, not half a cup! Unless they're just looking for a calcium ingredient...?

I'd suggest you can probably go without either entirely. I can't find a good reason why dairy is required in a bread recipe to begin with.

I have allergy to all nuts, peanuts, milk casein, honey, kiwi, orange aroma (orange oil in peels) and I'm lactose and fructose intolerant.

I was wondering the same thing. Usually the bread recipe that I read had water instead of milk in it.

#4 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

I have allergy to all nuts, peanuts, milk casein, honey, kiwi, orange aroma (orange oil in peels) and I'm lactose and fructose intolerant.

I was wondering the same thing. Usually the bread recipe that I read had water instead of milk in it.

How about using Vance's DariFree, which would be a sub for dry milk?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

I just had another thought. I wonder if you could use some flaxseed meal in lieu of the almond meal in this recipe??? Or possibly use 1/4 c. flaxseed meal and a bit more flour? I know you'd be taking a chance how it may turn out...but I've baked a brick now and then. :lol:
Sylvia

#6 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

I just had another thought. I wonder if you could use some flaxseed meal in lieu of the almond meal in this recipe??? Or possibly use 1/4 c. flaxseed meal and a bit more flour? I know you'd be taking a chance how it may turn out...but I've baked a brick now and then. :lol:

I never heard about Vance's DeriFree. Thank you.
Yesterday I made that Challah that I wanted. I didn't had Bette Batter flour and I made my own. the process was very funny. I was thinking that if somebody saw me from you guys, you would laugh very hard. All kitchen was up-side-down. OMG. Currently I live in home where kitchen counter is only 1 1/2 yards long with sink and place for dishes. I got 1/2 yard x 1/4 yard left for any work. Then I have round kitchen table in middle and fridge on other side of kitchen. If somebody sits down, the other person can't go through. Me, baker and stuck in this kithen. Ach... :angry:
Yesterday the Challah was very good. I ate 3 huge slices. Today is good, but today I know that that thing is gluten free. :(

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:36 PM

I never heard about Vance's DeriFree. Thank you.
Yesterday I made that Challah that I wanted. I didn't had Bette Batter flour and I made my own. the process was very funny. I was thinking that if somebody saw me from you guys, you would laugh very hard. All kitchen was up-side-down. OMG. Currently I live in home where kitchen counter is only 1 1/2 yards long with sink and place for dishes. I got 1/2 yard x 1/4 yard left for any work. Then I have round kitchen table in middle and fridge on other side of kitchen. If somebody sits down, the other person can't go through. Me, baker and stuck in this kithen. Ach... :angry:
Yesterday the Challah was very good. I ate 3 huge slices. Today is good, but today I know that that thing is gluten free. :(

I bet you were really cute! :lol: And does that space hold your new mixer, too?

Bummer about the bread...it's always good the first day and then the second day it usually does taste gluten-free. Maybe one of these days we'll come up with a real winner. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting. :blink: Did you try freezing the bread? I usually slice it and then put two pieces in a foldover sandwich bag and then it goes into a Ziploc bag.
Sylvia

#8 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

I bet you were really cute! :lol: And does that space hold your new mixer, too?

Bummer about the bread...it's always good the first day and then the second day it usually does taste gluten-free. Maybe one of these days we'll come up with a real winner. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting. :blink: Did you try freezing the bread? I usually slice it and then put two pieces in a foldover sandwich bag and then it goes into a Ziploc bag.

I found a place for my mixer. It's between two chairs by the wall on top of small cabinet.
Posted Image

And here is the picture from my counter top.

Posted Image

#9 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

I found a place for my mixer. It's between two chairs by the wall on top of small cabinet.

And here is the picture from my counter top.

Holy cow!!! You are really short on space! Hang onto that mixer so it doesn't end up on the floor!!!
Sylvia

#10 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

Your kitchen is really cute, even though it's tiny. ;)
Hooray for you..experimenting with the bread! I just got my mixer. I took it out of the box yesterday, but didn't run it yet. I'm a little scared of it. LOL :blink:

With your mixer on that little stand it kind of makes me nervous that it could get bumped and topple over. Could you sit it at an angle so it's on the stand a bit more? :o

#11 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

I will put my new mixer on table when it will be in use. I did it yesterday. The mixer is holding this little cabinet together. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Challah that I baked was huge. I used 10x15 pan and it was full. I will post the recipe later. The first day I was in love with it. The second - it was ok. Today I made French toast from it - very good.

#12 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Milk makes the bread softer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: