#16 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Just to clarify:

MSG does not contain gluten. The "G" is glutamate which sounds like gluten but it's not. Many people prefer to avoid MSG because they feel it isn't healthy or have a reaction to it other than gluten.

To clarify even further: MSG used to be made from wheat gluten, which happens to about 30% glutamine. (This is why wheat is included in soy sauce. It naturally forms a lot of MSG.) Nowadays, MSG is made by bacterial fermentation of sugars but there are still outdated celiac lists around that list MSG as unsafe. If MSG were derived from wheat in the US or Canada, it would have to be disclosed as a wheat allergen.

It's probably unwise to buy a bag of bulk MSG at oriental markets. I've read that Chinese MSG is still often made in the old way from wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 waterlily_

waterlily_

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm not sure where you are located but if you have an Aldi's grocery store near by you can go & have a look at their products. They have gotten in A LOT of gluten free items that are staples that taste great but are much cheaper than brand names.

Walmart sells cheap gluten-free pasta that I eat all the time. The brand is called Heartland. It tastes fantastic! The only downside is if you have leftovers you need to boil it again in water because it drys out in the fridge for some reason (unless it's covered in like, pasta sauce) Otherwise, it's fast & cheap I use pasta sauce from Aldi's & it's much cheaper than Prego but still just as good.

Fruit, vegetables, meat, rice, nuts/seeds, dairy products, etc. are all naturally gluten free. There are hundreds of foods out there to pick from. Good luck!

#18 caiticakes

caiticakes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

When I first got to college I was really nervous about food and if I was just going to have to eat salads for the rest of my life. Luckily it gets easier the longer you stay with a gluten free diet. Right now my freezer is packed with those steamfresh bags of veggies and rice, I'll make a meal out of that a couple times a week. Talk to your chef and reiterate that starting with simple foods (rice, potatoes, veggies, meat) saves money, and is healthier for all the girls, and if he just keeps your simpler version of the meal separate from everyone else's food then you should be okay. Also, for when you're on campus, talk to the dining hall chefs about being gluten free so you have a few more options for lunch. My school is wicked gluten free oriented and has a gluten free version of everything on hand. I also lucked out because two other girls in my sorority have celiac, so everyone knew what it was already when I joined.
Just think of it this way, you're a pioneer for gluten-free sisters everywhere. Your bad luck/genetics will help another sister somewhere down the line!
Good luck!

#19 nampalady

nampalady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

... use those oats to make granola bars. That one bag of oats, plus nuts (of your choice), dried fruit, and mini chocolate chips will cost less than $10 and will make over 50 granola bars. Make them in large batches, and keep them in the fridge/ freezer. In that regular sized rice cooker, you can combine chocolate, peanut butter, and oats to make no-bake chocolate fudge protein cookies. If you do it right, those cookies have all the vitamins and minerals as a protein/ granola bar. 4 of them constitute lunch in a pinch, and they taste like a fudge brownie.

What are your recipes for granola bars and no bake cookies?
nampalady
12 yr old son prescribed a gluten-free diet for possible celiac disease 11/2011.

#20 nampalady

nampalady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

For cereals Rice Chex, the new gluten-free Rice Krispies, or Cream of Rice are about the only mainstream ones I can think of. If you like sweet cereals, I think Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles have gone gluten-free.

I just picked up Trix swirled at our local gluten free market. I also have read that rice crispy treats have gluten, but reading the ingredients for rice crispies and marshmallows, I didn't see wheat?
nampalady
12 yr old son prescribed a gluten-free diet for possible celiac disease 11/2011.

#21 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

I just picked up Trix swirled at our local gluten free market. I also have read that rice crispy treats have gluten, but reading the ingredients for rice crispies and marshmallows, I didn't see wheat?

For cereals like Rice Krispies, for example, you have to watch for the word "malt", which is barley. Kelloggs has come out with a newer Rice Krispies cereal that is made from brown rice and is prominently marked as gluten-free.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#22 MissHaberdasher

MissHaberdasher

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

Same situation, my friend. I have no idea how to cope with this and give my body the nutrients it needs. So I end up eating potatoes for a week. Then quinoa the next week. Then I wonder why I can't concentrate and feel exhausted. Hmmm.

#23 SkylerGurl05

SkylerGurl05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

What about the Smart popcorn the white cheddar one? It says Whey.. I seen it was on the gluten-free list but I'm not sure about that??

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,040 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

What about the Smart popcorn the white cheddar one? It says Whey.. I seen it was on the gluten-free list but I'm not sure about that??

Whey is a part of milk. I haven't looked at it for sure, but I haven't found a popcorn of any flavor in the US with gluten. Read the labels because, as much as I love, love, love popcorn....I haven't seen them all. I still have about 67 brands left to try, many not sold in may part of the country. :D

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#25 JonsLoveBugg

JonsLoveBugg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi im not sure if you are a member of living social or groupon but every so often they have spend $25 get $50 worth of food from glutenfreely.com. And there you could buy twice as much! Also idk if you have access to military bases but I know my commissary Has gluten free foods ad at almost half the price that you would find at a local grocery store!!

Also what I will do is make a big pot of rice and eat worth that for a week. You can do so much with rice!! And rice noodles, if you go to the oriental part of your grocery store you can find bug bags of Asian style rice noodles for like 3 dollars and there just as good as the gluten-free ones but a third of the price!!

Hope this helps!
Natalie

#26 sorairobara

sorairobara

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi im not sure if you are a member of living social or groupon but every so often they have spend $25 get $50 worth of food from glutenfreely.com. And there you could buy twice as much! Also idk if you have access to military bases but I know my commissary Has gluten free foods ad at almost half the price that you would find at a local grocery store!!

Also what I will do is make a big pot of rice and eat worth that for a week. You can do so much with rice!! And rice noodles, if you go to the oriental part of your grocery store you can find bug bags of Asian style rice noodles for like 3 dollars and there just as good as the gluten-free ones but a third of the price!!

Hope this helps!
Natalie

Nice! I didn't know about the living social or the military base! I think there's a military base somewhere close(ish) by and if it's ever on the way I'm going to take advantage of my military ID while I still can! Thank you!

Also, whoever mentioned Aldis that is a good one! I get lots of chips, lunch meats by the pound, and meat sticks from there and they even have gluten free fruit snacks if you can find them! They come and go at the Aldis I shop at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: