21 replies to this topic

#16 celiacshawn

celiacshawn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

Instead of soaking the rice in rice vinegar and then fanning it dry (the more traditional way) there's now a faster way of making sushi rice that involves these little seasoning packet things. I can't think of what it is called right now. Anyway I would bet they are using that method and the stuff probably contains gluten. If I could eat gluten I wouldn't go to a place that makes their sushi rice that way anyway... Kind of a cheap/fast method.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

Not that I can eat sushi right now (iodine thing) , but this makes me want to cry.

I dream about sushi. I like sashimi but I love sushi.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 Februaryrich

Februaryrich

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

I felt awful for the next day when I ate sushi, and I ate it without the soy sauce though and it could of been the type of sushi? I know for a fact I wasn't eating the popular makis which contains gluten for sure
Gluten free since 01/09/11
Food intolerance to be determined!

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

I felt awful for the next day when I ate sushi, and I ate it without the soy sauce though and it could of been the type of sushi? I know for a fact I wasn't eating the popular makis which contains gluten for sure

Could it have been bad fish? Or cc from the knife or mat getting wheat ingredients on it?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

I have only gotten sick once eating sushi. Someone at our table ordered a spider roll and the best answer I can come up with is that the same knife was used to cut it and the cucumber roll I ordered. I generally don't order rolls - only sashimi and occassionally sushi. Never had a problem with sashimi.

That happened to me this past weekend. My husband and I went out. I ordered sashimi, sunomono and a couple of rolls. He ordered some tempura rolls and I had D all the next day. Pretty sure it was a shared knife problem. Luckily for me those trace contamination episodes don't last long.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#21 annam224

annam224

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Can someone please explain to me how rice, rice vinegar, salt, and sugar can contain gluten? That's all that is in sushi rice.

I can see how it might be a problem if you're one of the rare celiacs who reacts to distilled grain vinegars, as rice vinegar sometimes has grain vinegar in it, but for most celiacs sushi rice would be fine. I bet your waitress confused "gltuten" with "glutenous rice" which is another name for sushi rice. Of course sushi rice is gluten-free like all rices.

The sushi chef at the restaraunt where I am currently trying to eat (;)) enlightened me to the fact that in many restaraunts, the rice vinegar added to the rice contains trace amounts of wheat to thicken it and make it more sticky. This may not be true of all rice vinegar, but you should always check with the chef where you are. Hope this helps (:

#22 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

There's a post on why sushi rice may not be safe here (http://www.celiac.co...hi/page__st__15):

As far as the rice is concerned you have to know the type of vinegar they use with it. I've been glutened with just a rice bowl and sashimi, turns out they were using a vinegar made for sushi rice and it had some barley syrup as a sweetner.

Also: Japanese MSG is apparently not gluten-free (although US MSG is)
And: cc is a huge problem at sushi restaurants

Although a friendly place where you can chat with the chef while he's making it and watch him work will probably be fine. They'll probably also let you check the vinegar.

And watch out for barley tea. So annoying it exists and is so popular. :(

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: