arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Finding People In Highschool Who Has Cd...

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ashley

Ashley

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Anyone have any suggestions? I've already had to explain to few a people what celiac disease is, but, I haven't been able to find anyone yet who knows what it actually is. I kind of hate explaining it over and over. But, I've gotta deal with it. I've looked a little around our Cafeteria Room for anyone with a lunch box, but it never fails to have a sandwich flying out of it. Finding someone who understands would help me a great deal. Thank You!

-Diganosed with Celiac's Disease on April 15, 2005.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"-Picasso

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 07:33 PM

I found that in college it is easier to find people who know about these sorts of things and know what gluten is. In High School serious vegetarians and more health food eaters will be aware of gluten and possibly Celiacs. Good luck finding someone!

#3 ruddabega

ruddabega

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:56 PM

I'm in high school too... It's really hard when people are gobbling up pizza in front of you every day. I just bring my own thing and let my friends taste what they want. Trust me, it will get easier. I was diagnosed in Nov. 2004 and the first few months were horrible. Maybe this next school year will bring on more mature people around you... but kids will be kids, if you know what I mean.

Rinku-- How old are you?

Sorry I can't offer more!
Camila

Dixon, California (near Sacramento)
18 years old
Diagnosed by blood and biopsy Nov. 2004
gluten-free since Nov. 2004
continual digestive problems
Crohn's disease diagnosed 1/8/06

#4 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:56 PM

I found that in college it is easier to find people who know about these sorts of things and know what gluten is.  In High School serious vegetarians and more health food eaters will be aware of gluten and possibly Celiacs.  Good luck finding someone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure it is, there's probably a lot of people who major in some kind of medical stuff. Okay, I'll be sure to look for that. Thanks!

#5 Ashley

Ashley

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:01 PM

I'm in high school too... It's really hard when people are gobbling up pizza in front of you every day. I just bring my own thing and let my friends taste what they want. Trust me, it will get easier. I was diagnosed in Nov. 2004 and the first few months were horrible. Maybe this next school year will bring on more mature people around you... but kids will be kids, if you know what I mean.

Rinku-- How old are you?

Sorry I can't offer more!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, I can barely sit there while they have a box with a mini pizza in it. It smells so good. So do I, but, it's usually fruit and peanuts, and occasionally meat roll up things. Telling me that really helps. I'm getting better about it, it's a lot easier this month then in June.

I'm fourteen, and I'll be fifteen on Sept. 30. My name's Ash, if you want to know. I need to put that in my signature...

#6 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

I'm starting my freshman year of high school... I'm also 14, turning 15 in January. I was diagnosed in 7th grade...at first they were curious as to what the diet was, what happened if I ate gluten, what gluten is, etc. Then it was just celiac3270 eating his gluten-free food...normal. Staring high school, I'm just going to answer people if they ask me what I'm eating, etc., but not make a big deal about it.

If anyone teases you or makes a joke or a nasty comment about your food, and you make them really think about what they're saying, they'll sound like a moron. Seriously, that's like laughing at someone because they have a peanut allergy or lactose intolerance...jeez. I don't expect to find another Celiac--it would be really cool if I did, but I'm fine. I feel independent and self-sufficient with the whole gluten thing. And there are always my friends here.

#7 melly

melly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

I'm starting my freshman year of high school... I'm also 14, turning 15 in January.  I was diagnosed in 7th grade...at first they were curious as to what the diet was, what happened if I ate gluten, what gluten is, etc.  Then it was just celiac3270 eating his gluten-free food...normal.  Staring high school, I'm just going to answer people if they ask me what I'm eating, etc., but not make a big deal about it.

If anyone teases you or makes a joke or a nasty comment about your food, and you make them really think about what they're saying, they'll sound like a moron.  Seriously, that's like laughing at someone because they have a peanut allergy or lactose intolerance...jeez.  I don't expect to find another Celiac--it would be really cool if I did, but I'm fine.  I feel independent and self-sufficient with the whole gluten thing.  And there are always my friends here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how was seventh grade did people make fun of you im going into seventh grade this will be my first school year gluten free

#8 sweetiegrl109

sweetiegrl109

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:21 AM

im gunna be a junior this year and i went through the past two years of school lunches just basically sitting there watching my friends eat foods i used to be able to...dont get me wrong i dont reconmend it...<_<... but it was the only way i could handle it...my school had no good salads and all there was were basically wraps, luckily this year for school my schedule lets me go early and have leave before lunch...
-jess-

--gluten-free Since 2003--
-Conclusive Bloodwork/Biopsy-

#9 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:40 AM

It was fine...they had known me for a long time so they were just curious... I got a little of the annoying "What happens if you eat gluten?" but it wasn't too bad. After that it was just celiac3270's gluten-free lunch...and some of them tried to read labels and stuff. It was fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: