This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Which Generic Lab Did You Use?

lcarter

lcarter Contributor

I am thinking about having a gene test done and am wondering which lab to use. Which lab and test did you have? And, why did you choose the particular lab? Thanks the info as this will help me to make a decision.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simona19 Collaborator

I am thinking about having a gene test done and am wondering which lab to use. Which lab and test did you have? And, why did you choose the particular lab? Thanks the info as this will help me to make a decision.

I had twice Quest Lab, but each time the result came back negative. I posted the results here and people told me that I have 1/2 of DQ2. After I saw a doctor at Celiac Center in New York, I had another genetic test done through Kimball Genetics. It was a mouth swab. This lab works under Labcorp. This time the result came back positive. They did every alelle. I have the 1/2 of DQ2 which means that I have small chance to develop celiac disease, but the chance is there.

JoshB Apprentice

I'd say your best value is 23andme.com. You'll have to be willing to look up data on DQ from snpedia.com, though, because 23andme itself only flags DQ 2.5 (the major risk factor for celiac disease). I'm not sure if it's even possible to determine DQ 7.5 through genetics, and they don't tell you about DQ2.2 or DQ 8.1 on 23's website. To get that info you'll have to dig into your raw data yourself.

Still, that seems to be better than a lot of the gene tests on offer elsewhere. People are always coming here saying "I have DQ2!", which doesn't tell you what you want to know. DQ 2.5 is very high risk. DQ 2.2 has a small amount of risk. DQ 2.X doesn't seem to matter. Mostly DQ 2 is split pretty evenly between 2.5 and 2.2, so I really think you want to know that lower level data.

Open Original Shared Link

--------------------

Also, when I say 2.5 is "very high risk" that's relative to other DQ types. DQ 2.5 carriers are still unlikely to have celiac disease. Genetic factors influence risk, but they don't write your destiny.

Simona19 Collaborator

I'd say your best value is 23andme.com. You'll have to be willing to look up data on DQ from snpedia.com, though, because 23andme itself only flags DQ 2.5 (the major risk factor for celiac disease). I'm not sure if it's even possible to determine DQ 7.5 through genetics, and they don't tell you about DQ2.2 or DQ 8.1 on 23's website. To get that info you'll have to dig into your raw data yourself.

Still, that seems to be better than a lot of the gene tests on offer elsewhere. People are always coming here saying "I have DQ2!", which doesn't tell you what you want to know. DQ 2.5 is very high risk. DQ 2.2 has a small amount of risk. DQ 2.X doesn't seem to matter. Mostly DQ 2 is split pretty evenly between 2.5 and 2.2, so I really think you want to know that lower level data.

--------------------

Also, when I say 2.5 is "very high risk" that's relative to other DQ types. DQ 2.5 carriers are still unlikely to have celiac disease. Genetic factors influence risk, but they don't write your destiny.

Can you tell me what I have?

The Kimball Genetics results:

A DQA1*05 allele was detected but neither of the DQB1*02 alleles was detected. The DQ2 molecule is encoded by a DQB1*05 allele and a DQA1*02 allele. This individual is positive for half of the DQ2 heterodime. An individual who is positive for DQ2 and/or DQ8 is at rist for having and/or developing celiac disease. among individuals positive for DQ2 and/or DQ8, the overall risk for developing celiac disease is 3% and approaches 40% if there is a known first degree relative with celiac disease.

Individuals with the DQA1 sequence variant (*0501 or *0505) or the DQB1 sequence variangt (*0201 or * 0202) but not both (i.e., half of the DQ2 heterodime) have much lower risk for celiac disease then those who have DQ2 (i.e. the full heterodimer). In asymptomatic individuals, the presence of this allele and the positive results of immunoassays or intestinal biopsy may support a diagnosis of celiac disease.

Among patients with celiac disease, over 90% have DQ2 (DQA1*05/DQB1*02) and approximately 5 % have half of the DQ2 heterodime. These alleles are found in over 30% of the general population. The majority of individuals with DQ2 or half of the DQ2 heterodimer do not develop celiac disease and detection of these alleles is not suffecient for a diagnosis of celiac disease.

DQA1 Genotype:

010201/010202/010203

+0505/0509-rare

010201/010202/010203+0508-rare

010204+0505/0509

010204+0508- rare

DQA1*0505 detected

DQB1 Genotype:

030101/030104/0313/0319/0322/0324

+050201

0321+050201

The results for Quest Diagnostic:

The patient does not have the HLA-DQ variants associated with celiac disease. More than 97% of celiavc patients carry either HLA-DQ2 (DQA1*05/DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8 (DQA1*03/DQB1*0302) or both.

HLA DQ2 (DQA*05/DQBl*02) negative

Hla DQ8 (DQA*03/DQB1*0302) negative

Hla DQA1* 01

Hla DQA1* 05

Hla DQB1 0301

Hla DQB1* 0502

I have two different results. One is positive and another negative. :blink: :blink:

JoshB Apprentice

I think you're [DQ 7.5]/[DQ 5]. [DQ 7.5] is an oddball. Pretty rare except in the middle east. It seems to confer some risk for celiac disease, but I haven't found anyone who says how much risk. Only a very small percentage of Celiacs have [DQ 7.5], but then [DQ 7.5] people make up a very small percentage of the population. [DQ 7.5] could potentially split to help form [DQ 2.5] if you had a child with the right (or wrong maybe) partner.

You can see most of this on the Wiki article I linked to earlier.

Hla DQA1* 01

Hla DQA1* 05

Hla DQB1 0301

Hla DQB1* 0502

That's the important section of your test. Your "A"s are not fully resolved, so you might have A1-101, 102, 103 etc... and A1-501, 502...

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

As I read your results Simona it all sounded like gobeldy-gook to me! :blink:

I'm so glad Josh was able to translate for you.

Josh..if you are that fluent in double-speak you could have a promising future in politics? LOL :D

Simona19 Collaborator

I think you're [DQ 7.5]/[DQ 5]. [DQ 7.5] is an oddball. Pretty rare except in the middle east. It seems to confer some risk for celiac disease, but I haven't found anyone who says how much risk. Only a very small percentage of Celiacs have [DQ 7.5], but then [DQ 7.5] people make up a very small percentage of the population. [DQ 7.5] could potentially split to help form [DQ 2.5] if you had a child with the right (or wrong maybe) partner.

You can see most of this on the Wiki article I linked to earlier.

Hla DQA1* 01

Hla DQA1* 05

Hla DQB1 0301

Hla DQB1* 0502

That's the important section of your test. Your "A"s are not fully resolved, so you might have A1-101, 102, 103 etc... and A1-501, 502...

I think I have DQ5

and DQ 7.5

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived