20 replies to this topic

#16 LisaM7

LisaM7

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

Thanks, Lisa. I will try it soon and let you know how it goes and what kind of flour I use :)

Many thanks! This is a treasured recipe for my entire family, so I just have to find a way to continue to make it and have it taste as good as before (maybe not exactly the same as before but still as wonderful!). I will be interested to hear what type of flour(s) you use and whether you make any other changes (e.g., I'm not sure if the baking soda and baking powder are required because of the buttermilk, or if they have something to do with the gluten in the flour?).

I'm thinking of using one of the suggestions here to try Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour mixture and see how that turns out. That would be the easiest I think.

My grandmother taught me to cook from the time I was about 10 (I'm now 50), and she also taught me how to make pie crust. I have never used a store-bought pie crust, and I'm told mine are wonderful. So that is the next project -- a really wonderful gluten-free pie crust so I can continue to make homemade apple pies (which she also taught me how to make), my husband's and my favorite quiche (a recipe we developed), etc.

If anyone here has a great gluten-free pie crust recipe, please share! (Maybe that would require a new topic header?)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

Use water. You could use milk, buttermilk, (or add a bit extra vinegar to the plain milk) or other milk sub like nut milk if you wanted to.

Skillet bread in small 8" round cast iron pan, like cornbread:

I would be using those 3 gluten-free flours as part of the recipe, I use salt, and pure apple cider vinegar and baking soda to leaven it.

Dry, measure out in large measuring cup:
About half almond meal, then 1/4 amaranth and 1/4 sorghum by proportion, so that would be 1/2 cup almond meal, 1/4cup of amaranth and 1/4 cup of sorghum. You can add a bit more to make 1 and 1/4 cup total flours for thicker bread

1/4 to 1/2 teas baking soda
optional spices, such as pinch of cumin, cinnamon, chinese five spice, or 1/2 teas cocoa powder
pinch of salt to taste, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon

wet ingredients, mix in separate bowl:

1/2 half teasp (or more) apple cider vinegar
glop of olive oil, about a spoonful (depending on how moist you want this, teaspoon or more)
glop of molasses, maybe half to a teaspoon
glop or honey, agave, or other sweetener, to taste. (can use artificial or stevia, if going low sugar route) perhaps the equivalent of a tablespoon

add 1 egg and beat it up

You will be adding water to this, but add the flours/nut meals first and then see how much you need to add to get a thick batter, since flour mixtures vary in dryness and eggs vary in size

Stir until blended, adding water as needed.

Pour batter into your preheated pan that has more oil in it. Pan should be hot but not smoking, watch the oil carefully. Cook until bottom is done, then finish under broiler. Never leave it alone but watch carefully as it cooks, as nutmeals burn quickly.

The stovetop to broiler method makes wonderful crust, and it cooks quickly. It needs no gum with this mixture.

recipe was on this thread here
http://www.celiac.co...627#entry680627

The same flour mixture could be subbed in as a "cornbread enhancer" for those looking for all purpose flours, or who want cornbread, but have discovered they can't eat corn. This recipe keeps well in the refrigerator without having to be frozen. I keep half amaranth and half sorghum gluten-free flour mixed up in the refrigerator as a sort of "all purpose." fallback.

Oh, and the skillet - yes, definitely the cast iron is the key to a good crust and moist interior.

Takala, how long under the broiler? Also, do you cook these like pancakes? Thanks.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#18 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yes, like a giant pancake you don't flip - The 'under the broiler' part will depend on how far away from the top burner element the rack is set - about 6". And it goes fast. Maybe a minute or two, maximum, and you watch the top of the bread until it starts to turn color and lightly brown- then pull it out with a hot mitt potholder on your hand. This is why I emphasize NEVER leave this stuff unattended when you are cooking it.

#19 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:34 AM

Yes, like a giant pancake you don't flip - The 'under the broiler' part will depend on how far away from the top burner element the rack is set - about 6". And it goes fast. Maybe a minute or two, maximum, and you watch the top of the bread until it starts to turn color and lightly brown- then pull it out with a hot mitt potholder on your hand. This is why I emphasize NEVER leave this stuff unattended when you are cooking it.

Ok. I'm going to try your skillet bread sometime soon.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#20 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

Takala, I'm not going to lie to you, I just finished off 4 pieces of your skillet bread (as in I just ate half of it--oink). That was some good eats!

I'm going to have to work on my technique and get that down b/c I did burn the bottom. The amazing thing is it was still good even burned a little bit on the bottom. Wow.

THANK YOU for sharing that delicious recipe.

Lisa, your cornbread is next :)

#21 LisaM7

LisaM7

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

Freeatlast, I hope my grandmother's cornbread turns out as well!! Good luck with the flour substitution. I can't wait to hear about the results.

Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: