2 replies to this topic

#1 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi Everyone, Even though I have been gluten free for a little over 2 years I still dont really understand the gluten content in prepackaged foods. I recently transformed my kitchen from a shared kitchen to a 100 percent gluten-free kitchen and in doing so i have been buying more gluten-free snack foods for my husband and kids. I don't eat many snacks but if I decide to eat a cookie and the company says it tests for gluten at levels of 20 ppm what does that really mean? Is each cookie 20 ppm -or the serving size- or the box? So if I eat 3 cookies could I get sick? Hope you can help Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Parts per million is a ratio. It is like a percentage, except that percent is parts per hundred. It applies equally to any amount of the item in question, whether one small bite or the entire package.

Part of the dilemma is that you don't know for sure how many ppm there are. The company tests for 20 because there is a relatively easy and inexpensive test at that level. The actual product very likely contains far less--maybe even none at all.

Glutino make gluten-free products in a dedicated gluten-free facility, so there is minimal chance of contamination. They realize that accidents happen, so they test at 20 ppm, even though the products are expected to be very close to zero, if not actually zero.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:49 PM

Parts per million is a ratio. It is like a percentage, except that percent is parts per hundred. It applies equally to any amount of the item in question, whether one small bite or the entire package.

Part of the dilemma is that you don't know for sure how many ppm there are. The company tests for 20 because there is a relatively easy and inexpensive test at that level. The actual product very likely contains far less--maybe even none at all.

Glutino make gluten-free products in a dedicated gluten-free facility, so there is minimal chance of contamination. They realize that accidents happen, so they test at 20 ppm, even though the products are expected to be very close to zero, if not actually zero.

Thank you ! That helps clear things up a bit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: