arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Should I Cheat? Olive Garden..

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Should I cheat because apparently the gluten free pasta there is no good? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Cheat and eat something not gluten free?

1. Yes, but eat something like meat, rather than pasta (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Go ahead, it's a rare outing (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Avoid it, stay gluten free...don't want to embarass yourself with gas (0 votes [0.00%])

4. They might make comments or judge you, just eat a normal meal (0 votes [0.00%])

5. NEVER! (14 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

6. Sure (0 votes [0.00%])

Is the gluten-free pasta gross? Specify experience below

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

2. No (10 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

3. Kind of (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Not for gluten free (4 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

16 replies to this topic

#1 BarbieGirl

BarbieGirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

What do you think? From online it seems like the gluten free pasta if a microwaved small serving dish. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of my eldest sister's boyfriend by ordering something GLUTEN FREE. Would refusing breadsticks seem rude? Pre-gluten intolerant I loved Olive Garden, I'd eat two baskets of breadsticks it seemed, all by myself. Not to mention the food, oh lordy! Someone help me, the temptation is too much. My sister decided on Olive Garden because she was going to take us kids out for dinner to meet her boyfriend, however, now my dad is tagging along. There's no way to "change restaurants".

Help,

confused teen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Let me talk to your dad. What father would allow/ encourage a child to do something medically inadvisable? It's Medical Neglect if not full child abuse.

Now you Miss Barbie -

Apparently your parents and older sibling haven't grown up. They can't think of what will keep you healthy and well. So....you will have to be the grown- up. Don't go. Or eat the gluten-free option. Or eat before you go.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

Let me talk to your dad. What father would allow/ encourage a child to do something medically inadvisable? It's Medical Neglect if not full child abuse.

Now you Miss Barbie -

Apparently your parents and older sibling haven't grown up. They can't think of what will keep you healthy and well. So....you will have to be the grown- up. Don't go. Or eat the gluten-free option. Or eat before you go.

What Karen said!
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 AzizaRivers

AzizaRivers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:58 PM

Someone who is celiac or gluten-intolerant should NEVER cheat. Never. Never ever. You should be aware that each time you cheat you're doing physical damage to your intestinal lining and raising your risk of developing serious complications later in life, including a few types of cancers.

Your family should understand this too, and as the above posters have said, your father especially should not allow you to do that.

Also, what's so embarrassing about your food being gluten-free? I don't really get it. Just order the gluten-free food, it's not a big deal, I promise. You're going to dinner to socialize with family, no one should be so hyper focused on what your food is called that it matters you order something gluten-free.
Celiac diagnosed October-November 2010 (blood test negative, biopsy inconclusive after gluten-free for 6 weeks, miraculous diet results).

October 2010: Gluten free.
November 2010: No HFCS or artificial sweeteners.
March 2011: Gradually fading out soy.

#5 allergyprone

allergyprone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

DO NOT GO TO OLIVE GARDEN i had their gluten free pasta and within a half hour i was dying i was on a band trip and luckily my mom was there and drove me home because i couldn't sit up i had be glutened

#6 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Last time I cheated I ended up violently with intersussception and in ER - now that is embarrassing!! I would not go -especially as previous poster said they were glutened by eating their gluten free pasta!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Get the mixed grill, specify gluten free. You can eat the salad, no croutons.

I've had it and it was fine. And good.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#8 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

While experimenting with my diet at first I decided to try some gluten intolerance aides.....as far as the bloating and gas they worked but it did not help with my balance issues which for me will be the very sign for me. I was so sick, it took me 3 weeks to regain my balance after that incident so I will stick to salads mostly when I eat out. I especially like the rice pasta!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#9 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:14 PM

You are worrying far too much about what people will think. It's one of the more painful parts of being a teenager. You will be much happier in general once you stop caring so much. Be true to yourself and everything else will sort itself out.

Would you think poorly of a friend with a peanut allergy who ordered carefully to avoid peanuts? I bet you wouldn't give it a second thought. I haven't tried Olive Garden's gluten-free food but I'm sure it beats getting sick while you're meeting your sister's boyfriend. If he asks, just say you've learned that gluten disagrees with you and leave it at that.

It is NEVER rude to refuse food like breadsticks at a restaurant. You're paying the restaurant for the service, not the other way around.

In fact, it is very rare to be in a situation where it is rude to politely decline food, especially if it makes you sick. What's rude and invasive is insisting another person eat something. People don't always like particular foods, they might be full, they might be dieting, they might have an allergy - there are a million reasons for saying "no, thank you" and a polite person simply takes "no" for an answer without asking questions or forcing the issue.

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:21 PM

What do you think? From online it seems like the gluten free pasta if a microwaved small serving dish. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of my eldest sister's boyfriend by ordering something GLUTEN FREE. Would refusing breadsticks seem rude? Pre-gluten intolerant I loved Olive Garden, I'd eat two baskets of breadsticks it seemed, all by myself. Not to mention the food, oh lordy! Someone help me, the temptation is too much. My sister decided on Olive Garden because she was going to take us kids out for dinner to meet her boyfriend, however, now my dad is tagging along. There's no way to "change restaurants".

Help,

confused teen

They have a new gluten-free menu. The pasta is no longer microwaved and the portion is quite large. Why would it be rude to not take breadsticks? Why would you be embarrassed to order gluten-free? Just ask for the gluten-free menu when you are seated.

You'll have to ask for croutons on the side for your salad.

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

While experimenting with my diet at first I decided to try some gluten intolerance aides.....as far as the bloating and gas they worked but it did not help with my balance issues which for me will be the very sign for me. I was so sick, it took me 3 weeks to regain my balance after that incident so I will stick to salads mostly when I eat out. I especially like the rice pasta!

For me, salads are the riskiest things to get unless I know there are no croutons in the place. I can't tell you how many times I began eating the salad and found a crouton in there. Or crumbs. Or the taste of crouton. I hate croutons to begin with! Often they will start to put them on your salad then realize the mistake and pick them off. Not good.

#12 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:33 AM

I agree with the others. On top of that... If you want to be taken seriously about your need to be gluten-free in the future, you need to show that it matters to you by not cheating on the diet.

Definitely eat before you go. You might order something gluten-free to fit in. This is no different from ordering the chicken instead of the fish.

I would not trust olive garden to be safe but I'm on the paranoid side. If asked I'd just say that I wasn't there for the food, I was there for the occasion!
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#13 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:34 AM

That is, pre-eat so you won't be actually hungry when the bread comes out, and if you don't like or trust the food it won't be torment!
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

#14 BarbieGirl

BarbieGirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Thanks! I think I will eat a little something in advance, and then judging by their gluten-free menu, I think I'll play it safe® and go with the mixed grill, all chicken...when I order should I specify gluten free? Or is it assumed that the dish is always gluten free?

#15 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

That sounds like a good plan. Definitely specify gluten-free when you order, though! That way they'll be more aware and won't do something silly like put bread on your plate with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: