This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keep It Under Wraps?

jemms

jemms Apprentice

I start my new job Wednesday and my boss will be taking me out to lunch. I dont really trust anything at a restaurant unless it is a salad so I am sure that is what I will order. Seeing how I cant have dairy or gluten I dont want her to think that I am just some pain in the *** person who is super picky. Do you tell people right away about your Celiacs even if you dont know them very well?? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Don't hide it but don't make a big deal about it. Order as you normally would to avoid gluten and dairy. If asked directly by the boss you can explain that you have food "allergies" (or say celiac if you think they might know what it is) but it's no big deal and then change the subject by asking a question about your new job. The only reason to tell them in advance would be if you are super sensitive and not able to eat out at most places safely. I'm sensitive and I have to tell people via e-mail or facebook quite frequently that I can only eat at certain places due to celiac and food allergies. For me, most of the time it means not going to a restaurant meal. If it were for my job however or something important enough I would go and not eat. In most cases where the person is taking me out specifically (as opposed to a big group) I get asked where I CAN eat and we go there. So it may be to your advantage to talk to them in advance if you are really leary about it. I'm sure your boss would prefer to have a healthy employee instead of one that is sick for the first week.

Takala Enthusiast

You're not going to be able to order safely at a restaurant without revealing something.

Better the boss finds out sooner rather than later, glutened employees tend to be either sleepy or cranky, it's better for them to take you to someplace where there is something edible. (start googling hard now for restaurants in the area w/ gluten free options)

{shrug....} there are so many people with various food restrictions at this point, is it a big deal ? Hey, is that kosher ? Hey, is it sunset yet, is that halal ? That doesn't have peanuts in it, does it ? Is that sugar free ? etc etc etc

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Do you know where you are going? Call ahead and make arrangements beforehand. That would help.

Yes, just downplay it but be safe.

jemms Apprentice

thanks everyone for your help!!! :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NikiG
    Newest Member
    NikiG
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• cristiana
      I am not a medically qualified person, but I think in your shoes I would do the same.     If you are in the UK, there are some really good gluten-free aisles now.  The largest range near where I live, currently, appears to be in Tesco's.
    • Katiec123
      @cristiana I’ve got an appointment with the midwife next week so will speak to her then. Waiting for gp to get back to me. I’ve made the decision today to cut gluten out regardless due to the risks I’ve read about 
    • cristiana
      Hi Katie I am so sorry you had two miscarriages in the past.  Try not to worry, though, because it could be that they were unrelated, perhaps? Well done for contacting your GP.  Is it possible that you can speak to your midwife in the meantime for a chat?    Cristiana  
    • Katiec123
      @cristiana hi!  the things I’ve read online about having untreated coeliac disease whilst pregnant has really scared me and made me very hesitant to continue eating it. I feel like the best option might be to eliminate gluten from my diet now and then continue with testing after I’ve given birth. I’ve got in touch with my gp and am due to get a phone call back on Monday. Really worried now as I’ve had 2 miscarriages in the past 
    • cristiana
      @Katiec123 Welcome to the forum. I started to have symptoms related to coeliac disease (mouth ulcers, aura migraines etc) but no gastric symptoms during my first pregnancy.  That went to term, in fact, I was 10 days over and had to be induced.  But my second baby, born 21 months later, arrived at 33 weeks.  He's now doing well, and taller than all of us - it was just an earlier than expected arrival! I agree, it would not be wise to eat gluten  if there is any suspicion that you have coeliac disease during a pregnancy.   It would of course be good to know for sure, one way or another, because I believe coeliacs receive extra monitoring during pregnancy in many countries.   I think it may be well worth asking your GP if you can be referred to a gastroenterologist for a formal diagnosis asap.   By the way you spell 'coeliac' I'm guessing you are posting from the UK?  If that is the case, the NHS may rush things along for you, I suspect they will.  If it appears that they cannot refer you urgently, if you have the money for a private consultation it might be well worth it, as there is a trend here in the UK (I'm British) to diagnose coeliacs without the need for an endoscopy if the blood test results are compelling. Sounds like this is the case for you.  If you can see a gastroenterologist privately s/he might be able to diagnose you there and then (make sure you take a printout of your blood tests). Generally, there is a lot of support for coeliacs through the NHS, with a nutritionist, annual reviews and blood tests to check for diet compliance and health related issues, DEXA scans to check bone density, extra vaccinations where indicated and in some areas, certain gluten free food available on prescription.  So for lots of reasons, if you can get a diagnosis it's worth it. I hope all goes well with your appointment, let us know how you get on.