3 replies to this topic

#1 Portageegal

Portageegal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

I was recently found to have Celiac Sprue. When I went back after my endoscopy (6 weeks after it) the Dr. told me that is what the biopsy showed. I have IBS also and knew what a gluten-free diet was all about. I had a blood test and the numbers were in the normal range. Through his nurse I was told to keep eating like I have been. I really want to start gluten-free, but it is hard because I am on disability and live in a rest home and unless I have a Drs. order I am sort of 'up the creek'. I will see my GP this week and see what he says, but I am really nervous. I understand the part about any gluten can cause a reaction, but is the reaction as severe with a little as it is with alot? I called the Medicaid office and they said that the home does NOT have to provide me with a special diet. (can you belive that?????)

Carol

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

If you were diagnosed through a positive biopsy then you need to start a gluten free diet right away. Gluten in any amount is bad. There is no levels of celiac but there are levels of symptoms. Some people get bad reactions with small amounts and some people get no symptoms with it whatsoever...in either case any amount needs to be avoided. A little bit of gluten in the diet is equal to not following it and damage will still be done..symptoms or not.

I am sure something will work out for you. Hang in there. :D
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#3 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

So why did they tell you to keep eating gluten? Are there more tests to do? Maybe they just want your GP to tell you what to do.

#4 Portageegal

Portageegal

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:59 AM

I don't know .... The GI is the one that told me that I had it, but at that time I hadn't been to this site and didn't know how serious it was or would have pressured him. Maybe he is waiting for my next visit, but that isn't until Oct. Well, my GP will be here tomorrow and I will see if he can get me some answers. If not I will have to switch GI's.
:angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: