27 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Well, shoot, I can't compete with your mom :o - she really has me licked. Could give all the rest of you a good run for your money. :lol:

but "shroomie"...in my mind, from the way you talk, you're so young!! ;)

As I say, it's not the years, it's the mileage.... :lol:

Sylvia posted a link to this article on another thread...you know how doctors say "older people" are never DXed with this? :rolleyes: They are so clueless.....maybe some of you would like to read it.

Article in Living Without Magazine --

(http://www.livingwit...acs-2720-1.html)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

When they say "You're only as old as you feel" I say "No, you're as young as you act" :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

When they say "You're only as old as you feel" I say "No, you're as young as you act" :P

then, I am 22 :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

I went to a round table last week, of the local Celiac group. I was the youngest one there by a long shot (and I'm 40). I know a few were in their 80's. Most had been dx'ed in the last 5 years.

I thought it was great to see so many people who obviously had NOT tossed in the towel and are still working to improve their health.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

But my MOM at 84 is the real amazing one. She started gluten-free a few months ago and feels GREAT! She realizes ALL of HER issues are because of this too. (My Dad had all the symptoms too, but it's too late for him, sadly) As she puts it "You're never too old to start feeling better" and of the rest in the family who will not be tested or try gluten free ? She says "Oh for heaven's sake, what's the problem? The gluten-free diet is not such a big damn deal" :lol:

OH I definitely think you AND your mom are amazing! That apple didn't fall far from that tree :)
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

OH I definitely think you AND your mom are amazing! That apple didn't fall far from that tree :)

Ada, wow, you made my day, my week, hell, my month!...thanks, what an incredibly sweet thing to say. :) Just what I needed to hear today. :D

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Love your 12 "steps"! perfect!!

I'm one of the "over 40s" (doctors who think celiac is never DXed in older people need to be schooled! :angry: ) I had symptoms and complications from gluten all of my life. So much sadness and pain, and yet, I never put it all together until I learned about celiac. Finally DXed at nearly 54 but only because I FIGURED IT OUT. ;) I was either going to be in a wheelchair, a mental health ward or dead before long...I was THAT bad.

I make progress (slowly) every month. I am regaining my life!! :)

But my MOM at 84 is the real amazing one. She started gluten-free a few months ago and feels GREAT! She realizes ALL of HER issues are because of this too. (My Dad had all the symptoms too, but it's too late for him, sadly) As she puts it "You're never too old to start feeling better" and of the rest in the family who will not be tested or try gluten free ? She says "Oh for heaven's sake, what's the problem? The gluten-free diet is not such a big damn deal" :lol:

You have the right attitude...and I hope you feel better soon!
Cheers,
IH

Irish heart..your wonderful!!! :D :D :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

Irish heart..your wonderful!!! :D :D :D

ooooh....c'mon now, you're making me blush (that's not something I readily do...) I humbly appreciate your kind words.... :) cheers, IH :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#24 Celiac Maniac

Celiac Maniac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Wow, I was 33 when I was Dx 10 years ago. I thought I was a late-bloomer!

Yup, absolutely: you're never too old to start feeling better. That's so true.

Here's to your health! (A toast for those of us who are definitely old enough to drink!)

TK Kenyon

#25 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

I hear you guys.....I am 48 and what I cansay looking back now, totally unaware at the time, is that for years I was slowly destroying my body with what I was ingesting. I was having the typical digestive issues until much later. It was the damage of a malnurished body that I was starting to feel and knew something was wrong. I had alot of denial, alot of frustration and feeling lost, wondering how this happened. It was great to finally have an answer but I even questioned the answer. In time there came acceptance. I absolutely do understand.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#26 ironcross

ironcross

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

AMEN AS A FATHER OF TWO AND A FITNESS THERAPIST, AND PERSONAL TRAINER, I WAS FRUSTERATED ON THE LENGTH OF TIME IT TOOK THEM TO FIGURE OUT I HAD CELIAC DISEASE. IF INTERESTED WOULD LOVE TO TYPE CHAT MORE. GOD BLESS!

#27 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

You know the funny/sad thing is how long we go without knowing! Looking back with the knowlage I have now...I've had symtoms since the age of 6 at least....(elementry school age children should not be passing out for no reason, or having debilitating migraines for no reason...blood tests and cat scans allways came up negitive...maybe a simple allergy test would have been nice!!!)
My point is that this goes unchecked for so long and its not till we're older (in my case 47) that we fially find out whats REALY wrong!!!After the nerve dammage and malnoutrishion...I thought it was MS for the longest time....I only had like 95 out of 100 symptoms... :blink: :angry: !!! It's just ashame that none of these "profesionals" had the sense to even be suspicious or make the sugestion!
well now the world is getting wiser about this epidemic...and its begining to bwe a house hold name...maybe someday kids will be tested routinely just as they get their imunity shots...It could happen! :rolleyes: :D
Just thought I'd throw in my 2cents !! B)
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

#28 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

AMEN AS A FATHER OF TWO AND A FITNESS THERAPIST, AND PERSONAL TRAINER, I WAS FRUSTERATED ON THE LENGTH OF TIME IT TOOK THEM TO FIGURE OUT I HAD CELIAC DISEASE. IF INTERESTED WOULD LOVE TO TYPE CHAT MORE. GOD BLESS!

Hi Ironcross...welcome to the community!!! :D
How long ago did you find out?Have you started gluten free yet? It will take awhile for everything to get out of your system..some days even the good stuff will upset you..you have an advantage being a fittness theripist though...you must allready be eating pretty healthy! just watch for those hidden glutens! theres some good info on the Celiac.com site(as well as this forum) but scott has a list of words to look for that are hidden gluten in ingrediants and what to look for!It's very helpful...google all products you use in your house for gluten...(toothpaste, shampoo, deoderent, your brand of instant coffee...)!! Ya I know...I was shocked too ..but gluten is used as a filler and emulsifier...it's in EVERYTHING!!! :blink: :ph34r:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: