25 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:47 AM

I only eat plain Lays Stax and Mission Corn chips. Which other ones are good for super sensitive people? (every lays product other that Stax make me sick)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:24 AM

I cut potatoes thinly and cook at 400 for 30 minutes in olive oil. You can also make other veggie chips that way. Safe and good. I can't eat processed foods. I'm very sensitive.

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:40 AM

Do you Bake or do you have a fryer?
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

For potato chips I can only eat plain Wavy Lays or Kettle chips. I can't eat the Stax because they have soy. For corn chips I make my own most of the time using Mission Corn tortillas. I spray with olive oil, cut with a pizza cutter and bake them on a baking sheet with holes in it at 325 for 12-15 minutes or until crispy. I don't buy the bagged ones very often but I have been able to eat Garden of Eatin blue corn chips, Grande Restaurant style Gluten free and sometimes Fritos. Fritos however made me sick last itme I ate them--maybe I ate too much corn that day? I just threw up about 20 minutes later and had heartburn. I didn't have a gltuen reaction but I haven't eaten them since.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

I do bake and I do have a fryer. :) I am going to try making my own with the mission tortillas. That sounds soo good. Warm chips and salsa...yummy!

#6 RL2011

RL2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

FoodShouldTasteGood Tortilla Chips. I really like these chips and they are made from sweet potatoes.

Richard

#7 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

FoodShouldTasteGood Tortilla Chips. I really like these chips and they are made from sweet potatoes.

I just looked these up on the internet. I had never heard of them. They look great!
Thanks

#8 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

Late July Organic chips might be worth looking at. They are GFCO certified, so if lay's staxx work with you, I would imagine these should as well. ( http://www.latejuly.com/ )

I haven't tried them myself, but my son seems to like them. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#9 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Fritos however made me sick last itme I ate them--maybe I ate too much corn that day? I just threw up about 20 minutes later and had heartburn. I didn't have a gltuen reaction but I haven't eaten them since.

Both my daughter and I had a terrible reaction to fritos before, too. She's not sensitive to corn much, best I can tell, but we both got our gluten reaction to that one like crazy (before I knew I was super sensitive).

Although I was talking with the frito's company today and the young man said that while they didn't test their products for gluten before, they have started testing them periodically now. It's still <20ppm only, but better than it was!

And the really interesting part. We start talking super sensitivity comes up, and he mentions that one of his good friends is sensitive to lower concentrations than 20ppm, too, and keeps wishing for lower ppm standards.

heh - super sensitives are like ninjas. :ph34r: We are everywhere. :lol:

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#10 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Both my daughter and I had a terrible reaction to fritos before, too. She's not sensitive to corn much, best I can tell, but we both got our gluten reaction to that one like crazy (before I knew I was super sensitive).

Although I was talking with the frito's company today and the young man said that while they didn't test their products for gluten before, they have started testing them periodically now. It's still <20ppm only, but better than it was!

And the really interesting part. We start talking super sensitivity comes up, and he mentions that one of his good friends is sensitive to lower concentrations than 20ppm, too, and keeps wishing for lower ppm standards.

heh - super sensitives are like ninjas. :ph34r: We are everywhere. :lol:

Interesting to know! So perhaps my sensitive system did detect the gluten and throwing up prevented me from getting the rest of my symptoms. I have reacted by throwing up one other time--when I was a given regualar pasta at Olive Garden and told it was gluten-free. Throwing up that time did not prevent me from getting gluten symptoms however--probably because of the large amount versus just a trace in the Fritos. :ph34r: We need to start the super sensitive ninja club! :lol:
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#11 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

Fritos were sometimes okay and sometimes not when I tried them years ago. I took them out.

lisa

#12 butterfl8

butterfl8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

Food Should Taste Good chips are AMAZING!!! Like replacement wheat thins! YUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMY!!!
I also like Boulder Canyon Chips. http://www.bouldercanyonfoods.com/
They write gluten free right on the front of the bag! Bless their lovely hearts. And their lovely chips!
And I've never had a problem with the Mission chips either.
It's the small indulgences that we must find that help us enjoy, right? :P
-Daisy
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#13 butterfl8

butterfl8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Well, I must revise my above statement. However, eating half a bag of chips is really never a good idea, but what's done is done. Poor Boulder Canyon Chips are now (at the very least) on my caution list, if I can restrict myself to less than 1/2 a bag. So they probably won't be bought again! I did notice an increased selection at the store, and the increase was of non-gluten free items. So oh well. I'm off to go feed my hungry self. Again.
-Daisy
I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
--David Sedaris

#14 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

I love the riceworks Brown Rice Crisps. My favourites are Salsa Fresca and Sweet Chili. In fact I am munching on a bag of Salsa Fresca right now.
http://www.riceworks...lavors_USA.html

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#15 Jeremiah29:11

Jeremiah29:11

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

I noticed that no one really mentioned Kettle Brand Chips. It is listed on the back of the package if they are gluten-free or not. I think my husband does well with those but after reading the posts from people I wonder if we are monitoring his diet close enough. He is having tests run this week because he never feels well anymore. It's almost hard to pinpoint if he's been contaminated unless he has the specific symptoms that we know very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: