18 replies to this topic

#1 OhWell

OhWell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:32 AM

Hi all........I am new here and doing some research.......any info about what regular domestic beers are lowest in Gluten would be appreciated. I heard that Bud light and Corona were low on Gluten.....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

Hi all........I am new here and doing some research.......any info about what regular domestic beers are lowest in Gluten would be appreciated. I heard that Bud light and Corona were low on Gluten.....

:huh: Curious, why do you want to know? We are not on "low gluten" diets... :unsure:
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 Voix

Voix

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

It doesn't really work that way, if one has a gluten problem, one needs to avoid it all together.

However, I have just found a great gluten-free beer company. Have you tried New Planet? It really tastes like real beer. They are award wining and have three flavors.
(NFI)
The sun and the moon will align again, even if the world must start over. Guo Chunning

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

It doesn't really work that way, if one has a gluten problem, one needs to avoid it all together.

However, I have just found a great gluten-free beer company. Have you tried New Planet? It really tastes like real beer. They are award wining and have three flavors.
(NFI)

I like New Planet, too. They are only in a few states right now - the ones around Colorado where it is made. They are working on the permits needed to sell in more states.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

There is really no difference between low gluten & lots of gluten... If you're going to poison yourself it really doesn't matter how much poison you take! BevMo has some great gluten free beers, I think my favorite so far is Red Sail.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#6 JoshB

JoshB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

Gotta vote against the New Planet. I wanted to like it, really I did. Unfortunately it's costs more than Spaten, and it's about on the same level as gluten free "bread".

Learn to like wine.

#7 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Gotta vote against the New Planet. I wanted to like it, really I did. Unfortunately it's costs more than Spaten, and it's about on the same level as gluten free "bread".

Learn to like wine.

Have you tried New Planets Pale Ale? Hubby thinks that one taste the best out of their flavors. Close to real thing. We do agree about price though :(
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

I do have to admit that when someone said on the board a long time ago that Bud Light was low enough to not effect us I did try one. Boy did it taste good as I was a big fan of beer prediagnosis and the sorghum beers to me taste nasty. Result was not pretty. I might as well have had a piece of cake or some phyllo. Just not worth it.
You have to keep in mind that celiac is autoimmune and it takes very, very little gluten to start the autoimmune action.
As someone else mentioned I now do wine mixed with soda when I want something refreshing on a hot day.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 Flasaltwater

Flasaltwater

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

I think I read that Anheuser has a beer called REDBRIDGE that Is Gluten , wheat free I think they make is with Sorghum.
20 years ago told I had IBS, Have one child with Type 1 Diabetes
Symptoms are 20 years of loose stools
15 years chronic anemia still battling
Nighttime Bathroom runs, Insomnia, Bad Smelly Gas
last 2 years severe bloating 1 yr bad indigestion
1 year really bad itchy rash scars to prove it
Pica Ice and salt, no salt at the moment on an iodine break. :)
Small Stature 5'2
Cannot gain weight even have weighed as little as 90lbs currently 110
Hoping to get a diagnosis through skin biopsy and DNA

#10 OhWell

OhWell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

thanks for the feedback.....I probably should have joined a "gluten free" website but my daughter was just DXed with celiac so I joined this forum.........I was posting the beer question for me as I am thinking of changing my diet to a "reduced gluten eating style".....I will probably post a few other questions as I help my daughter out..........I do understand that she will not be able to have any gluten........thanks.....

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

thanks for the feedback.....I probably should have joined a "gluten free" website but my daughter was just DXed with celiac so I joined this forum.........I was posting the beer question for me as I am thinking of changing my diet to a "reduced gluten eating style".....I will probably post a few other questions as I help my daughter out..........I do understand that she will not be able to have any gluten........thanks.....

You're in the right place. Should have just explained better. We have people who have doctors, dieticians & mother-in-laws tell them "a little won't hurt them". :o

You should probably stay gluten-full until you get your blood tested. Celiac is genetic.

With a kid with Celiac, you will probably be eating gluten light or gluten free at home. Just makes it easier.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#12 OhWell

OhWell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

You're in the right place. Should have just explained better. We have people who have doctors, dieticians & mother-in-laws tell them "a little won't hurt them". :o

You should probably stay gluten-full until you get your blood tested. Celiac is genetic.

With a kid with Celiac, you will probably be eating gluten light or gluten free at home. Just makes it easier.

I had one of the tests(not sure what one I am getting a physical in a month and will find out which one) and it was negative for any gluten issue. once I figure out how to use this website I will setup a signature. I can not find the CP.......I have about 20,000 posts on the "Auto forums" so I am sure I will figure this one out......thx again for the help

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

You have found one of the best sites there is for info. Before you go gluten light please do get at least a celiac panel done. All first degree relatives of someone diagnosed is advised to do so even if they don't seem to have the typical celiac symptoms. Celiac is genetic and it is common for there to be more than one in a family and with the different presentations that are found with celiac even if you don't have tummy troubles it needs to be ruled out.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 NateJ

NateJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

Yep AB makes Red Bridge. Its actually really good. Gluten Free made from sorghum.
I live in STL (home of AB) and can get it and almost in grocery store.

There is another called New Grist that is really good also, but harder to find for me.
Its only in a handfull of upscale eating places that I know of around me.
Also, Mike's Hard Lemonade is claiming gluten-free now. Not sure but I drank one the other day when they changed the label
and didn't feel sick at all.
And Woodchuck cider is gluten-free.

Just some other options.

#15 glutenfreeinminnesota

glutenfreeinminnesota

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Yep AB makes Red Bridge. Its actually really good. Gluten Free made from sorghum.
I live in STL (home of AB) and can get it and almost in grocery store.

There is another called New Grist that is really good also, but harder to find for me.
Its only in a handfull of upscale eating places that I know of around me.
Also, Mike's Hard Lemonade is claiming gluten-free now. Not sure but I drank one the other day when they changed the label
and didn't feel sick at all.
And Woodchuck cider is gluten-free.

Just some other options.

I agree about Redbridge! I drink it all the time, and they have it at our new Twins Stadium here in Minnesota! I was so excited, I ordered two as they are only at a few locations around the stadium. I had been drinking them out of the bottle the whole time, and at the game they poured them into a cup. They tasted like real beer!! I actually had three of the people I was with taste it as I was positive I got real beer. Lol...maybe for people who don't like it, they should pour it into a glass!...or maybe after two years of gluten-free my taste buds are playing tricks on me.
Woodchuck is always yummy :)
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease November 2009
2011:
Anemia is gone for the first time in my life, Yay!
Teeth are cleaner according to my dentist (interesting, eh???)
Eyesight has improved for the first time in my life (another interesting thing!)

**My advice to the newly diagnosed** HANG IN THERE!! It gets better and is so worth the seemly long road to getting better. Just be happy you can make yourself healthy with a diet change, and not have to take pills for the rest of your life. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: