This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Ketchup And Mustard Ok?

e&j0304

e&j0304 Enthusiast

I guess the title pretty much says it all! I was wondering what you all think about ketchup and mustard. I have heard conflicting info on those. My daughter loves to "dip" her food in ketchup and I just want to make sure that's ok.

Are there any other types of gluten-free things she can dip stuff in?

We have been on the gluten-free diet for 4 complete days now and Ella is doing well. Actually, today she had a GREAT day. She seemed to have a ton of energy (which is unusual for her) and she played so well without asking to eat constantly. She even wanted to stay at a party to play with the kids today!!! I was so thrilled. It's those little things that don't mean much to anyone else, but to me mean so much. She was interacting normally and not obsessing about eating and clinging to me. I was so proud....

I know there will be ups and downs with this even if it works. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I can't help it when I see her doing so well. Maybe this is our answer...

One more thing. Should Ella have her own toaster or is it ok to use ours that has non gluten-free bread going into it? We toast things several times a day for her and I don't know if using our regular toaster would be a cross-contamination problem. My husband things that is taking things a little too far, but I want to do this right and don't want her getting exposed to gluten during the trial on this diet. Just wanted to know what you all think.

Thanks again so much. I don't know what I'd do without this forum. You are all so kind and helpful. :)

Shannon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I can't offer anytihing definite on ketchup since I don't use it, but I think that Heinz is gluten free. As to mustard, all forms of French's Mustard are gluten free.

If you toast ordinary baked goods as well as gluten-free ones, you should have separate toasters. Some gluten will stick in the toaster in the crumbs and will cross comtaminate the gluten-free foods. For what is costs, buy a second toaster and be scrupulous about keeping the two types of food in their respective toasters. It only takes a trace of wheat to trigger a gluten reaction.

lovegrov Collaborator

It is essential to give her her own toaster. There's no question at all that crumbs from your bread will contaminate hers. Wooden spoons are another source of problems.

All ketchups that I've checked (4 years) have been gluten-free. And virtually all mustards. Same with mayo -- all gluten-free. HOWEVER, you either need squeeze bottles or must get her her own jar. Dipping knives with non-gluten-free crumbs contaminates her condiments. This applies to anything like this, including peanut butter and jelly.

richard

tarnalberry Community Regular

Ketchup is virtually always gluten-free (haven't seen one that isn't), and most mustards are gluten-free (do check the label, a few use wheat starch - I don't have the brand of the one I had in the fridge that had wheat starch anymore though, since I threw it out).

Separate toasters are a must!

Guest nini

We didn't have space for a separate toaster, so I bought a toaster oven, and when we toast anything in there for me or my daughter we put down a layer of fresh clean aluminum foil on the rack. But yes, cross contamination from a toaster is a biggie, as is dipping out of condiment jars or margarine tubs etc... she will need her own jars labeled so no one else dips out of them or get the squeeze bottles. That's what we do. I use pure butter instead of margarine, so we have a fresh stick for us and my husband uses the margarine tub. I found squeeze bottles of Helleman's mayo and while it's a little more pricey than the jar, it's better than having to have two jars in the fridge and risking my husband not paying attention and double dipping out of the wrong jar (which he has done)

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing some improvement. I noticed pretty immediate improvements with my daughter too... I think when they are younger they usually respond quicker to the diet.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will definitely get her her own toaster today. I have another question. Does anyone know if Pillsbury Icing (for cakes and stuff) is safe? I need to make a safe cake for her.

I can't even begin to tell you how well she is doing on this diet. She is a different kid! She has done SO well the past two days. It really brings tears to my eyes to see her interacting with everyone and doing so well!!!

I am so excited about this!! Thank you all so much!!!!

Shannon

Guest Lucy

For margerine, I keep mine separate for my son by always buying a "blue" tub for him. Everyone know's that if the margerine is a blue tub it is only for dustin. If it is in a "yellow" tub, it is everyone elses. Same with peanut butter. I buy one with a blue lid for dustin, and a red lid for everyone else. It helps keep the kids aware, since they can't read yet.

I always make Dustin's food first. ALWAYS. Then completely put his stuff away, and then make the rest of the families. IT is not easy, but it makes it easier to be sure he is not getting gluten cross contaimination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I use the Pillsbury Frosting... not all of them are gluten-free, some have wheat in them but General Mills will not have any "hidden" gluten in the ingredients. Just read the ingredients and if it appears to be gluten free then it is (with this brand anyway).

robbiesmom Rookie

For Robbie's B-day cake I am using Kinnikinnic white cake mix and making my own frosting with Margarine, milk and powdered sugar-I did a test run and he liked it-so did my Husband and myself-My Husband hasn't cared for a whole lot of things yet so it was encouraging to know he liked the cake! Now it will feel good to serve it to his friends and their parents! :)

Guest taweavmo3

YAY!!!!! I am so happy to hear that Ella is doing so well! I have been thinking about you guys, and wondering how she was doing on her new diet. I have chills after reading your post....I remember how amazing it felt when we saw Emmie getting well for the first time. After two years of struggling, our real little girl was coming out. And it just keeps getting better and better every day!

It still just floors me that doctors would rather put a toddler on meds than try a diet change, that just blows me away. Thank goodness you did some research on your own, not all parents would think to do that. I hope she continues to do well......keep us posted on her progess! This board is full of so many supportive, knowledgable people, they'll help you weave your way through the beginner stages!

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Tamara, Thanks for your post. Emmie's story has been inspirational to me since I think her symptoms were so similar to Ella's. I am glad that Emmie is continuing to do so well!

This has just been such an amazing change. Everyone who sees her now can tell how different she is. My husband and I are in awe. Today we went to an indoor park and she cried when we had to leave because she just wanted to play! We went to this same park a few months ago and she didn't even get down and play for more than a few minutes because she said, "I want to go bye-bye. I just want to go home and eat." This was 1/2 hour after having a snack...

Today, she didn't even care about eating!! She was having so much fun. She also wandered all over the park, not caring where I was. She is usually stuck to my side crying. She did ask a couple of times for a snack, but I just told her it wasn't time and she moved on without a tear. A week ago that would have caused a major meltdown. I think she has a lot of habits now that need to be modified, but she is moving in the right direction.

In addition to her behavior change, her stools are already looking more "normal" and her tummy looks much less bloated.

I can tell that she just feels better.

Thank everyone again for all your support. We still haven't gotten Ella's test results back, but I really don't care anymore. We have seen without a doubt that at the least she has a gluten intolerence and we will not be giving it to her anymore.

Thanks and take care!

Shannon

Guest nini

Shannon, I am so thrilled to hear that you are having such positive results with Ella. I remember well the joy of "getting my real daughter back" the change in her was so noticeable that no one could argue with me that gluten was the cause of her problems.

We had her "sneak a peek" at school today for she starts kindergarten on Wednesday and I got to meet her teachers. They were asking me what to watch for with her "illness" and I said Oh she's perfectly healthy as long as she stays completely gluten free! I don't think they are used to that concept because too many kids are on medications... I too don't understand the logic of Dr.s that would rather put a small child on drugs than to try dietary changes first. Of course I understand some illnesses and conditions require medication, but in so many kids if they just explored what it in their diet that could be causing problems then the kids wouldn't have to be on drugs.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Thank you, Nisla! You have been so helpful, as has everyone here, and it's been such a source of encouragement for me to come here. I hope little Cheyenne likes Kindergarden!! I'm sure she'll do great there.

I totally agree with you about the doctors. I just want to go to her old ped. (we just switched to a new one) and tell him how well this is working. I'm sure I'd just be talking to myself though because he'll refuse to believe that it's really working. I think he thinks this is all in my head. Oh well...she's better and that's all that matters.

I have a quick question. Today we went to the mall. Ella had a safe meal (I packed it for her) but her cousins had pizza, chips and fruit. THe one cousin was eating his pizza and chips and using greasy hands to get his fruit. Then they offered it to Ella and she ate the fruit. Since we got home from the mall which was about 3 hours after lunch she started acting kind of whiny and clingy and was asking for snacks more. She also had a loose stool (not diarrhea, but just looser than normal) late tonight before bed and her tummy looked bloated. She sat on the toilet forever and I think her tummy was bothering her. I am almost positive that she didn't eat anything with gluten in it today. Is it just my imagination playing games with me, or could that little expose cause her to act like she used to again? She wasn't acing near as badly as she used to, but I could just see a glimpse of it.

Just wondering what you all think. Can I expect her to be her "new normal" good self tomorrow if she had a tiny exposure? I sure hope so!! I got a little discouraged there for a minute, but I know there will ups and downs with this. Overall she's doing so well.

I should go...her gluten-free cake is almost done baking!

Thanks again,

Shannon

tarnalberry Community Regular
Just wondering what you all think.  Can I expect her to be her "new normal" good self tomorrow if she had a tiny exposure?  I sure hope so!!  I got a little discouraged there for a minute, but I know there will ups and downs with this.  Overall she's doing so well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The second day after a gluten exposure is my worst, in terms of mood, but everyone is different. It's nothing but a "wait and see" game after the fact, unfortunately.

Guest nini

I've run into that with Cheyenne's cousins eating their gluten foods and getting their grubby hands all over her food as well... I've had to take stuff away from them and throw it in the trash and have a talk with them about being careful with crumbs and grubby hands when they are eating . My sister is just not used to having to watch out for stuff like that and the kids are well... kids... they are messy... I get very nervous and have to keep an eagle eye on them and make sure they don't try to offer her anything as well...

No I doubt it is your imagination. Their little systems are very sensitive and even a small crumb on a piece of fruit would make a difference. My family thinks I am being OCD about the crumb and cross contamination issue but I don't care. Well, except for my brother in law... we were over at my moms house for his birthday and he was very concerned to let me know I needed to re wash my daughters plate that her cousin had set out for her since he said "all kinds of crumbs had been flying over that plate"...

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Thanks for replying. So far today she has been cranky and asked to eat the second she woke up. I am so bummed out right now. :( I really hope that this was just a contamination issue and not that her good behavior the past few days was just a fluke. I was so excited about this diet and now I'm really bummed. Hopefully we can get her back on track.

It's just that it felt too good to be true since we noticed positive changes so quickly after starting the diet. Now I feel like I woke up from the dream or something! I know that it's only day 6 and that's still really early into this though. We will figure this out!!

Thanks again,

Shannon

Guest nini

hang in there Shannon. Trust me, no matter how careful you are, accidents are still going to happen. Hopefully they will become few and far between.

I'm sure it wasn't a fluke that she was doing so good... kids can heal extremely quick but they are also extremely sensitive to the smallest amounts of gluten if that is the problem. It still amazes me how just a molecule of it can affect my daughter's behavior. And make her tummy all bloated and painful.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement. Today has been ok. Not as good as it has been, but also not as bad as it was pre-gluten-free diet. We'll see how the rest of today goes I guess. Tonight we are going to a birthday party for my nephew and I am nervous that she's going to get something she shouldn't have. There are always plates of food laying around and she is used to eating off of them because that's what she used to do. I obviously discouraged that, but she would get to things before I saw. I'm going to have to watch her extra closely tonight.

Also, Ella's bloodwork came back negative. That was an extra blow for me today after I'm already a little down. I thought I was prepared for that to happen, but I was still holding out hope that we would get an actual diagnosis. The nurse left a message on our maching saying, "Ella does not have Celiac." I know that I have to put stock in the fact that she's doing better, but I couldn't help crying. I'm sure you all feel that it would be nice to have doctors on your side. Hopefully Ella's new pediatrician will back us up on the gluten-free diet.

Ok, thanks for listening to me ramble!

Shannon

Guest nini

Shannon, Cheyenne's bloodwork came back negative too, so believe me I know your frustration. I KNOW my child is gluten intolerant. I know she responds well to the diet. Trust your momma bear instinct. It will get you through a lot.

Just today I had to get some paperwork filled out for the school nurse (Chey starts Kindergarten tomorrow!) and I had to take it by the Dr.s office to get it all signed. We had to be very careful to classify her "disorder" as "Gluten Intolerance" and not Celiac, but thankfully all appropriate paperwork is signed and dotted so we are ready for school (I think!)

when it comes to the party tonight, carry stuff with you that you know she likes and set her up with a tray of her food that she can pick off of whenever she wants.

what we do when we go to parties is carry a bag of goodies, but I also peruse the choices and IF I see anything that is safe I let her know ahead of time "you can have that or this or what we brought..." Yes you may have to be a little more vigilant, but if you start up front telling her "this stuff here is OK, you CAN have this" but this stuff over here is not ok... she may be more willing to cooperate.

key Contributor

SHannon,

It could make her sick. It has been four months with my son being gluten free and there were times I would get discouraged over him still having bad days or loose stools. I think he wasn't ready to digest certain foods other then gluten. He is much better now and tolerates alot more. SOmetimes I think high fat, dairy and high fiber can bother them initially, but don't let every bad day get you down too bad! I had those and I would stress myself out more then I should have, looking back that is!

It is still an unknown for us too at times. ONe time a month ago he was very fussy and had a fever, but I thought his belly was bothering him from getting gluten somewhere. He spit up a couple of times and then started throwing up one morning. It freaked me out. Anyway, it turned out he had a double ear infection and his ears were bulging! I felt horrible that I hadn't taken him in sooner. So don't blame everything on gluten! He just hadn't had a cold and I didn't think about his ears.

GOodluck,

Monica

Archived