2 replies to this topic

#1 Sam81

Sam81

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

I am posting this in the DH section as IF I have celiac - it's DH. I've had NOTHING for breakfast except a cup of what I call "Posh Coffee" (sachets of flavoured coffee - my treat most mornings) and within 45mins to an hour my rash is full on and driving me insane. I know with some DH sufferers they need to limit Iodine which is in most Salt. Could my coffee be sparking me off?? Here are the ingredients. I know some E numbers contain iodine and have tried investigating the E numbers in my coffee but I can't fine the stabilising ones anywhere! This list is gfor a Vanilla Latte but I also have Caramel and Mocha's - Ingredients for Vanilla are:

Sugar
Skimmed milk powder
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
Instant Coffee (10%)
Dried Glucose Syrup
Lactose-Whey Permeate
Lactose
Flavourings
Thickener E466
Milk Proteins
Stabilisers (E340ii, E452i, E331iii)
Salt

Thank you to all you helpful people!! Please feel free to look at pictures of my rash in my other post titled "pictures of my rash" - funnily enough... :huh:

Incase it's relevant I live in the UK.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,710 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:27 AM

I am posting this in the DH section as IF I have celiac - it's DH. I've had NOTHING for breakfast except a cup of what I call "Posh Coffee" (sachets of flavoured coffee - my treat most mornings) and within 45mins to an hour my rash is full on and driving me insane. I know with some DH sufferers they need to limit Iodine which is in most Salt. Could my coffee be sparking me off?? Here are the ingredients. I know some E numbers contain iodine and have tried investigating the E numbers in my coffee but I can't fine the stabilising ones anywhere! This list is gfor a Vanilla Latte but I also have Caramel and Mocha's - Ingredients for Vanilla are:

Sugar
Skimmed milk powder
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
Instant Coffee (10%)
Dried Glucose Syrup
Lactose-Whey Permeate
Lactose
Flavourings
Thickener E466

Milk Proteins
Stabilisers (E340ii, E452i, E331iii)
Salt
Thank you to all you helpful people!! Please feel free to look at pictures of my rash in my other post titled "pictures of my rash" - funnily enough... :huh:

Incase it's relevant I live in the UK.

I don't know what the labeling laws are where you are but I would call the company and ask what the items I bolded are derived from. I think a wheat or barley derived ingredient are more likely the issue. I would also ask if the salt they use is iodized but don't think it likely it is.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

On top of that some people find coffee is an issue. Something about the molecule being similar to gluten.

I thought at one point it was irritating me. I'm not really sure - formed a chai habit. I don't think that's technically any better but oh well...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: