19 replies to this topic

#1 peeptoad

peeptoad

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

Hello. I'm new and I'm trying to determine if I have a gluten sensitivity/intolerance/whatever since I've been having moderate GI issues for about 5 years now. I've been gluten-free for about a month now, and plan on going another month before I "challenge" myself. So far, so good I do feel better overall and many of my GI issues have been reduced dramatically.
Anyhow, in regards to the actual challenge does anyone know the proper method for going about this?
Is a single serving of bread/pasta/etc enough or should I eat gluten for a few days and then revert back to gluten-free? Or is everyone different? I just want to do things properly, so I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Austin Guy

Austin Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

I also felt really good after going gluten free, but now (100 days in) even the smallest amount of gluten just destroys me. I wouldn't eat a bread crumb for any amount of money.

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant May 10, 2011 after going gluten free May 8.
Allergic to cat dander, salmon, nuts, lots of airborne pollens and mold.
Soy intolerance August 2011
Dairy and egg intolerance November 2011
Peanuts 2013
Titanium dioxide June, 2014

Bisphenol-A August, 2014.

#3 PainfulSpaghetti

PainfulSpaghetti

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Welcome Peeptoad! Once your body begins to heal from the damage the gluten causes, it can be very hard on your system to introduce gluten back into it. Be very careful with your challenge, and try a small portion. Such as 1 cookie, or cracker. NOT a whole sandwich as I did. That was a bad idea for me!

#4 pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hello. I'm new and I'm trying to determine if I have a gluten sensitivity/intolerance/whatever since I've been having moderate GI issues for about 5 years now. I've been gluten-free for about a month now, and plan on going another month before I "challenge" myself. So far, so good I do feel better overall and many of my GI issues have been reduced dramatically.
Anyhow, in regards to the actual challenge does anyone know the proper method for going about this?
Is a single serving of bread/pasta/etc enough or should I eat gluten for a few days and then revert back to gluten-free? Or is everyone different? I just want to do things properly, so I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks...

Hi! It's not clear to me from your post if you are planning on self-diagnosis or getting actual testing done. If you are going to get the blood tests and/or biopsy, you will need to be eating gluten for at the minimum 6-8 weeks ahead of time (most docs prefer 3-4 months to avoid false negative test result).

There is no official amount of gluten you need to consume for a gluten challenge, but the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread a day seems to be the recommended "dosage".
Celiac DX 9/2011 ~ Gluten free ever since
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 10/2011
Premature Ovarian Failure 11/2010
Rheumatoid Arthritis 10/2011
Sjogren's Disease 10/2011

"The best way out is always through" ~Robert Frost

#5 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the responses you guys.

Hi! It's not clear to me from your post if you are planning on self-diagnosis or getting actual testing done. If you are going to get the blood tests and/or biopsy, you will need to be eating gluten for at the minimum 6-8 weeks ahead of time (most docs prefer 3-4 months to avoid false negative test result).

There is no official amount of gluten you need to consume for a gluten challenge, but the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread a day seems to be the recommended "dosage".

I was tested about two years ago when I originally went I went to my new (and current) doctor with GI complaints (chronic diarrhea, bloating, cramps, etc). She told me that I was negative for celiac and I was mailed some test results (I had many tests done for parasites, full blood chemistry, CBC, etc as well). The only test I can locate on my results that would have anything to do with celiac was a fecal test in which they looked for IgA. It was within the normal range, so I assume this means that I'm negative... however the GI issues continue to this day, and my GI doctor (not my primary care doctor who ordered the original test) has nothing else to offer, so I'm down to experimenting by myself.

But, anyway, on the challenge I guess I will try a small serving at first and see what happens over a few hours. Then maybe a bit more (like a full serving of food)? I did read on one site that for the challenge they recommended eating full servings of gluten at all 3 meals for an entire day. Just wanted to get some other opinions...

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Gluten reactions can be delayed. When I did my doctor guided elimination and challenge I was told to eat the suspect food in as pure a form as possible three times a day for a week or until I reacted. I challenged with Cream of Wheat and triscuts. It was day 3 before I reacted and then I called the doctor and asked if I should keep going for the rest of the week. His reply 'Good heavens no!'.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:30 AM

Gluten reactions can be delayed. When I did my doctor guided elimination and challenge I was told to eat the suspect food in as pure a form as possible three times a day for a week or until I reacted. I challenged with Cream of Wheat and triscuts. It was day 3 before I reacted and then I called the doctor and asked if I should keep going for the rest of the week. His reply 'Good heavens no!'.

Thanks a lot ravenwoodglass. That's helpful, especially since you were working with your doctor on the elimination.

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:53 AM

Thanks a lot ravenwoodglass. That's helpful, especially since you were working with your doctor on the elimination.

That doctor literally saved my life since I show a false negative on blood work. My GI wouldn't even consider celiac until I had seen the other doctor and once I was referred back to that GI he demanded another challenge that had very dire consequences. I hope you get some answers and some relief soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#9 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

That doctor literally saved my life since I show a false negative on blood work. My GI wouldn't even consider celiac until I had seen the other doctor and once I was referred back to that GI he demanded another challenge that had very dire consequences. I hope you get some answers and some relief soon.

Thanks. I actually feel better already from being gluten free for a month.
Do you happen to know if the fecal antibody test is similar to the blood test in terms of accuracy? I think that's the only test I had done...

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

Thanks. I actually feel better already from being gluten free for a month.
Do you happen to know if the fecal antibody test is similar to the blood test in terms of accuracy? I think that's the only test I had done...

You mention that the fecal test was for fecal IGA. Do you know if your total IGA was done with any of your blood work? If you have low total IGA then that would throw off the fecal IGA.
The best test is how you feel off of gluten. If your feeling better and symptoms are resolving then you have your answer. If you do want to have testing redone then that would require going back to gluten for about 3 months.

#11 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

You mention that the fecal test was for fecal IGA. Do you know if your total IGA was done with any of your blood work? If you have low total IGA then that would throw off the fecal IGA.
The best test is how you feel off of gluten. If your feeling better and symptoms are resolving then you have your answer. If you do want to have testing redone then that would require going back to gluten for about 3 months.

No, I don't know for sure if I had bloodwork done for IgA, but I don't recall seeing anything else that looked like an antibody test anywhere on my lab results. Will need to check again. Regardless, you're right, the best test is how I feel.
I did just discover that the digestive enzymes that I take once in awhile have wheat in them though, but I still have 5 weeks before I plan on challenging, so hopefully it's completely out of my system by then. I think I've taken the enzymes maybe two or three times in the last month. Drats.

#12 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

My "gluten challenge" officially started this morning. I just ate a poppy seed bagel with cream cheese and tomato. That's my favorite breakfast and I missed it over the last ten weeks. I'm going to keep eating gluten for about 7-14 days, or until I get a reaction, whichever comes first. I guess delayed reactions to gluten are common, and my reduction of symptoms when I went gluten-free happened gradually over about 2 weeks, not all at once.
Have to say I'm expecting a reaction. If I don't have one, then I'm not sure what to think...
If anyone has any advice, then fire away. Otherwise I'll just gluten myself 3x/day until something bad happens. :P

#13 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

If anyone has any advice, then fire away.

Kinnickkinnick and Udi's makes gluten free bagels if you do react, but if you've contaminated your cream cheese with the regular ones, feed it to someone else ;)

#14 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

So, I'm now on day 5 of my challenge and my GI symptoms seem to gradually be returning. Is this normal for a gluten challenge? (as opposed to a sudden reaction, even if delayed by a few days).
The only thing that has returned "suddenly" so far is the skin issue I was having on my legs. That started back up yesterday and has gotten worse since yesterday morning. So I know that's definitely because of gluten at least.

#15 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:43 AM

So, I'm now on day 5 of my challenge and my GI symptoms seem to gradually be returning. Is this normal for a gluten challenge? (as opposed to a sudden reaction, even if delayed by a few days).
The only thing that has returned "suddenly" so far is the skin issue I was having on my legs. That started back up yesterday and has gotten worse since yesterday morning. So I know that's definitely because of gluten at least.

Yes it can be normal. Not everyone has a sudden return to full blown GI distess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: