42 replies to this topic

#1 BobbyKat LittleCub

BobbyKat LittleCub

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

Since I'm losing my hair, I probably need to buy a gluten free shampoo. Can anyone tell me what brands are safe to use?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:00 AM

I use Garnier. Dove and Suave will also label gluten ingredients. If you prefer organic good labelers are Shikai and Giovanni and Himalaya even says gluten free on the bottles. There are others but those are the only ones I am familiar with. I like the Himalaya but have trouble with getting it out of the bottle since the bottles are very stiff. They have redesigned the packages to make it easier to dispense but I haven't bought it since the change so don't know how much improvement there is.
I lose hair with either soy or gluten and find extra biotin to be helpful in regrowing.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

^ i use the same brand. :)

#4 rgarton

rgarton

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

I use The Body Shop banana shampoo and ocnditioner (smells amazing!!!), or the ice blue shampoo (wakes you u in the morning). All gluten, wheat, soya free :)
Lifes not waiting for the storm to pass, its learning to dance in the rain...

#5 moose07

moose07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

oh my gosh! I've been concerned about my hair falling out too. I even cut it pretty short so that I wouldn't have to watch it fall out anymore. I never thought my shampoo could be contributing. Now I feel dumb for not thinking about this.

#6 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Do you have wavy or curly hair? I went "no 'poo" (I use an occasional surfactant-free soap like dr. Bronner's, and lots of regular conditioning, the book "curly girl" or the Internet has lots of info), and my hair felt a lot better and shed less. That was pre-gluten-free, and now that I'm gluten-free, my hair feels amazing and I'm shedding a more normal amount.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#7 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I use Alba hawaiian hair wash, it's organic. I love it!
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#8 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

Owning a salon, the shampoo thing has been an issue for me too. I just can't seem to wash my hair without the shampoo running down my face no matter how hard I try. I know how damaging store brand shampoos are to hair ESPECIALLY if you get your hair colored or highlighted. Paul Mitchell is by no means the best salon brand but the Awapui shampoo smells great AND is gluten free. No itchy scalp or worries about accidental ingestion!
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

http://secure.jrliggett.com/

We use JR Ligget shampoo bars. Very gentle.

I do have to use something to shake it up every few weeks - remove residue / mildly strip but had to do that with Aveda, too.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 Lesx2

Lesx2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:20 PM

Costco Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner. Both gluten-free and surprisingly good. Also Aveda products.

#11 BobbyKat LittleCub

BobbyKat LittleCub

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I thought I'd try this one since I have psoriasis & excema.

Is there any gluten ingredients in ingredients listed below?

Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo plus Conditioner

Active ingredient
Salicylic acid 3%

Inactive ingredients
purified water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, citric acid, cocamidopropyl

betaine, lauryl glucoside, PEG-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, coco-glucoside, glyceryl

oleate, aleurites moluccana seed oil, zinc PCA, panthenol, rheum palmatum extract, carthamus

tinctorius (safflower) flower extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, propylene glycol,

edetate disodium

#12 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi everybody...
I'm quite new to this, but it bothers me that everyone seems concerned with ingestion only...when talking shampoo, but if everything I've read so far talks about wheat contamination and so on...what about absorbsion?
can't it be absorbed into your skin? why isn't anyone conserned about that!? We just bought this lovely bottle of Nexxus at Cosco...My family loved it. Everyone liked the way thier hair felt...except me!I was ok at first... then my hair just went limp and raggy,dirty looking within an hour(sorta wilted). I wasn't feeling that great either...then my 12 yr old pointed out that it had (Wheat) in the ingreadiance(I hadn't thought to look..being new at this, but he did...great kid!!!)
Also in the past I have mysterous tender sopots in my scalp(like bad sun burn without the sun burn!) I'm wondering if its ben shampoo related all along (and no...I ussreally don't get shampoo in my mouth) but notice my arms and back itch alot after shampooing!
Thats what I have to say about that!
So what does anybody hear about panteane??? I know the ingreadiants have changed over the years...several times...but I just bought some and couldn't find wheat on there any where..is it under a differant name? someone mentioned on a past blog that it had gluten( I read this after googling the question this morning and this cite popped up!)
This cite has been heaven sent by the way...thats why I desided to join!!!
THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR EXPERIANCES AND ADVICE!!!

COUGIE23
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#13 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

Oh come on people.... Noone has anything to say about absorbtion vs. ingestion when it comes to hair/skin products???I can't be the only one who's thought or cared about this....opinion...anyone???? I know your out there...302 veiws and no one has an opinion....come on newbes...your totaly anonomus...no one can see your face ...its only a question...share your experiances...we know its just your side of things...everything should be taken with a grain of salt in a forum anyway(not literly)...I've noticed on the member list there's alot of people who look but never post...don't be afraid...half the healing is sharing with fellow sufferers...it will make this stupid diesese alittle more bearable!!!!! beleive me for those of you who don't like to call this a diesese, IT IS!!! maybe your just lucky to have mild symptoms....there are some people here who have it REAL BAD!!! :angry: !!!!!!!!and would beg to differ!You've read their threads...don't be a wimp about this and face it for what it is....and be gratfull if you just have a tummyahce and itchy skin!!! it could be a lot worse!!!! I'm not speaking to those who responded to this thread...but to those who haven't responded to any thing or have made light on other threads!
Have fun...share...get informed...be greatful we have a site like this...and SHARE!!!! every opinion counts!!! yours too!!!! :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#14 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

Oh come on people.... Noone has anything to say about absorbtion vs. ingestion when it comes to hair/skin products???I can't be the only one who's thought or cared about this....opinion...anyone???? I know your out there...302 veiws and no one has an opinion....come on newbes...your totaly anonomus...no one can see your face ...its only a question...share your experiances...we know its just your side of things...everything should be taken with a grain of salt in a forum anyway(not literly)...I've noticed on the member list there's alot of people who look but never post...don't be afraid...half the healing is sharing with fellow sufferers...it will make this stupid diesese alittle more bearable!!!!! beleive me for those of you who don't like to call this a diesese, IT IS!!! maybe your just lucky to have mild symptoms....there are some people here who have it REAL BAD!!! :angry: !!!!!!!!and would beg to differ!You've read their threads...don't be a wimp about this and face it for what it is....and be gratfull if you just have a tummyahce and itchy skin!!! it could be a lot worse!!!! I'm not speaking to those who responded to this thread...but to those who haven't responded to any thing or have made light on other threads!
Have fun...share...get informed...be greatful we have a site like this...and SHARE!!!! every opinion counts!!! yours too!!!! :D

(I'm speaking purely for celiac here - not for anyone who has any other types of issues with gluten)

For celiac the damage comes when gluten enters the small intestine.

You picking up a handful of wheat gluten isn't going to hurt you unless you ingest it.

I doubt a shampoo makes your hair directly fall out. I'd say it's either a different issue or the malabsorption of nutrients is what is causing the hair loss. I had big issues with it before diagnosis and it's just now getting better.

I think it was the Australian research with vaccines that does it by injecting gluten, yes?

Once again - I'm not referring to anything regarding a wheat allergy or some other type of gluten sensitivity. I haven't done my homework on what reactions can or may be caused by direct contact, etc.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

Well, my dog's shampoo had wheat germ oil in it and it made my hands hurt like I'd been pruning Acacia trees (made them swell, sore, achey muscles).

My facial moisturizers have "gluten sensitive" wheat in them, meaning gluten has been separated and removed and I dont have an obvious problem with it but I will not buy more.

Some people have issues with gluten cosmetics, body care. Others don't. I wouldn't use gluten toothpaste...in a bit pickier since I have DH.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: