42 replies to this topic

#16 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

For celiac the damage comes when gluten enters the small intestine.

The antibody reaction actually starts the moment gluten contacts a mucous membrane. There are some countries that test for celiac using a gluten suppository or a swab that is placed either in the mouth or rectum and then the tissue is biopsied 2 to 4 hours later. IMHO that is a much more humane way of diagnosing us than the 3 month gluten challenge that is commonly done here.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

I doubt a shampoo makes your hair directly fall out. I'd say it's either a different issue or the malabsorption of nutrients is what is causing the hair loss. I had big issues with it before diagnosis and it's just now getting better.

Malabsorption of nutrients can play a big part especially in the newly diagnosed. Hair loss (alopecia) can also be part of the autoimmune action from celiac in some people. I lose hair when glutened or when I have injested soy and I have been healed and absorbing nutrients for years now. People can also lose hair because of stressors, either an illness or emotional stress. Could that be a reaction in some people from gluten ingredients in shampoos? Perhaps. There are many reasons for hair loss and sometimes it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#18 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thankyou Kytrala and prickly pear!
If its one thing I've learned from this site...it's there are many differant ways to be Gluten sensitive and many seperate/but relatied problems attached to the original problem...and everyone is unique in thier reaction, but still we are conected with a common problem( i.e. Gluten) :D thankyou for responding!! I personaly am losing my hair...It juat keeps getting thiner and more fragile...it contantly breaks off and grows slowly...(got a perm in '86 and it never did recover!)I get sunburn like soresopts,(but no dandruff) and I get it nice and fluffy and clean and pretty ...only for it to go limp and oily within 3 hours!!!very fustrating!!! :angry:
But that was before I found out that I was Celiac/ casien sensitive. I suspected I was Lactose intolerant and cut back...but had no Idea about casien ,let alone wheat sensitivity...I pretty much kept alot to myself..unless it became to obvious (some times you just can't hide it! we thought I had MS for the longest time(the results were borderline). its nice to know the truth finally and be able to at least have something I can work with..instead of people just acting like its just all in my head!!! or I'm making stuff up to get out of doing things REALLY!!! I can think of better ways to get out of things than making this sort of stuff up...it is miserable enogh to go through ( I practactly had every symptom listed under MS/ including incontanance,memory loss,sezures you name it!!!)let alone having everyone (especialy doctors) act like your crazy and its JUST YOU!!! <_<
so thankyou...all opinions welcome :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#19 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thankyou Kytrala and prickly pear!
If its one thing I've learned from this site...it's there are many differant ways to be Gluten sensitive and many seperate/but relatied problems attached to the original problem...and everyone is unique in thier reaction, but still we are conected with a common problem( i.e. Gluten) :D thankyou for responding!! I personaly am losing my hair...It juat keeps getting thiner and more fragile...it contantly breaks off and grows slowly...(got a perm in '86 and it never did recover!)I get sunburn like soresopts,(but no dandruff) and I get it nice and fluffy and clean and pretty ...only for it to go limp and oily within 3 hours!!!very fustrating!!! :angry:
But that was before I found out that I was Celiac/ casien sensitive. I suspected I was Lactose intolerant and cut back...but had no Idea about casien ,let alone wheat sensitivity...I pretty much kept alot to myself..unless it became to obvious (some times you just can't hide it! we thought I had MS for the longest time(the results were borderline). its nice to know the truth finally and be able to at least have something I can work with..instead of people just acting like its just all in my head!!! or I'm making stuff up to get out of doing things REALLY!!! I can think of better ways to get out of things than making this sort of stuff up...it is miserable enogh to go through ( I practactly had every symptom listed under MS/ including incontanance,memory loss,sezures you name it!!!)let alone having everyone (especialy doctors) act like your crazy and its JUST YOU!!! <_<

And yes I definatly have a severe malnutrition problem as well as having diffuclty absorbing food(not to mention an obvious spelling problem..LOL)! My problem for years is that my body thinks its starving and tends to pack on the weight...I have been able to lose weight (I'm not that heavey...but rather rubenesq)but I need to lose some...and I was never hungry...and had not desire to eat even when I was because my stomache was allways sad and lathargic feeling...after eating (alot or alittle) I'd get bloated (like I was 7 months pregnant) orI'd feel like throwing up(which I did a lot!!!)
The worst...Which is what I'm still having problems with is the feeling like my entire intestoinal tract includind my stomace is covered in bee stingers and open sores!!!ouch!!Damm gluten/casien :angry: <_< But now I know whats doing this I can work on it! :D But MAN that stuffs in EVERYTHING!!!! :blink:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

#20 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

( I practactly had every symptom listed under MS/ including incontanance,memory loss,sezures you name it!!!)let alone having everyone (especialy doctors) act like your crazy and its JUST YOU!!! <_<

Your not alone in that. I was thought to have MS also and had the same issues you did plus aphasia and extreme difficulty walking because of the ataxia. Doctors actually told me the brain lesions they found on the MRI were meaningless and I wanted to be sick! Here have a prozac!
It can take some time to recover when the brain is impacted but it can recover.
I don't know how long ago you were diagnosed but hang in there as it does get better.

PS I adore your avatar but wouldn't want to meet him on a country road.

#21 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Your not alone in that. I was thought to have MS also and had the same issues you did plus aphasia and extreme difficulty walking because of the ataxia. Doctors actually told me the brain lesions they found on the MRI were meaningless and I wanted to be sick! Here have a prozac!
It can take some time to recover when the brain is impacted but it can recover.
I don't know how long ago you were diagnosed but hang in there as it does get better.

PS I adore your avatar but wouldn't want to meet him on a country road.

Thanks ravenwood!
I was diagnosed a month ago if even that. I am still very glutened and compleatly react very violently to any thing dairy at this point...poeple just don't understand why I've eaten these things all my life and haven't had any problems! I tell them..but I have had problems!! I just never put all the symptoms in one basket...and certainly didn't know they were gluten/casien related!
I explain it this way....you eat sugar all your life,never knowing that you are prone to Diebetes...but one day you hit a sateration point and your body just can't handle it anymore....then all the problems you had before and didn't realized was caused by being diabetic make sense...you just didn't know what it was! thats what celiacs is like!!!only with gluten!Right now I can't eat much...my stomache has just had enogh!!! and if I eat anything to harsh..or with hidden gluten/dairy...my stomache and intestines feel like bee stingers and open sores allthe way to the very end...if you know what i mean! ;)
And yeah... they call me cougar or cougie (my husband came up with that) :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#22 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

Ataxia...I'll have to look that up...I might have that problem...severe pain in extremities? touble using said extemities?Do you get numbness or compleate loss of feeling in verious parts? or twiches like hicups (I get them in my foot, top of my knee,top/bottom eyelid,forearm ect.!? I was on cruches at one point and other times had to stop painting because my hands were so bad!

Thanks ravenwood!
I was diagnosed a month ago if even that. I am still very glutened and compleatly react very violently to any thing dairy at this point...poeple just don't understand why I've eaten these things all my life and haven't had any problems! I tell them..but I have had problems!! I just never put all the symptoms in one basket...and certainly didn't know they were gluten/casien related!
I explain it this way....you eat sugar all your life,never knowing that you are prone to Diebetes...but one day you hit a sateration point and your body just can't handle it anymore....then all the problems you had before and didn't realized was caused by being diabetic make sense...you just didn't know what it was! thats what celiacs is like!!!only with gluten!Right now I can't eat much...my stomache has just had enogh!!! and if I eat anything to harsh..or with hidden gluten/dairy...my stomache and intestines feel like bee stingers and open sores allthe way to the very end...if you know what i mean! ;)

Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#23 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thanks ravenwood!

Go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Rice, veggies (well cooked) fresh meats and chicken etc. If you like sweet potatos they are a good source of vitamins and both soluable and insoluable fiber. In oriental medicine they are used to treat both D and C. Get a new dedicated toaster, replace any scratched nonstick cookware, strainers and wooden cutting boards and spoons. If your husband still eats gluten make sure he brushes his teeth really well before you kiss. If you can make your home gluten free, including pet foods that is a good idea but if you can't make sure that you isolate gluten foods. Make sure you don't let anyone bake with flour in your house as breathing it in will gluten you and it hangs in the air for up to 2 days.
It can take time for the antibodies to die down so don't despair if it seems to take some time to heal. It is a good idea to avoid gluten ingredients in toiletries and also since you have neuro symptoms wait to try distilled gluten grains in alcohol until you are well healed. Most can tolerate them but there are some of us that can't and it seems like those of us with neuro issues are more prone to not tolerate. Do wait to try any certified oats as those can also be a problem for some of us.
You may be a bit moodier than usual for a while because of the withdrawl that some of us go through.
Celiac usually requires a trigger and illnesses or stress can be a trigger and can make symptoms worse. For women childbirth can be that trigger. While we are born with the genetic tendency to develop celiac it isn't always present from birth and many of us don't become celiac until later in life.

#24 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

Ataxia is a feeling of being off balance. I likened it to walking on a ship in a rough sea and I tended to fall to the right. Pins and needles, numbness and sometimes pain in the hands and feet is often paresthesias. If you are not already taking it get some gluten free sublingual B12 as that can help the nerves heal more quickly.

#25 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

[quote name='ravenwoodglass' timestamp='1315862921' post='729742
Celiac usually requires a trigger and illnesses or stress can be a trigger and can make symptoms worse. For women childbirth can be that trigger. While we are born with the genetic tendency to develop celiac it isn't always present from birth and many of us don't become celiac until later in life.
[/quote]
SOrry about the"repeat"...I think I got this down now!!
anyway...god knows I've had enogh things to trigger this... thats one of the reasons it seemed like MS..it kept coming and going!!!I'd heard of wheat and milk alergies....but this certainly doean't ACT like no alergy I've heard of LOL...seriously....I agree with someone else on this site who described it more like poisoning!!!
Yeah....my most reasent flare up started 10 years ago with breaking my ankle ..and then just when things were dying down...I slipped on some Ice in the grocery store(long story) and had severe soft tissue damage and other chiropractic issues....thats when I really started to have issues with not being able to use my hands and crazy severe pain(numbness,tics,low tremmors,severe leg/arm cramps..ect....the list goes on)! my chiropractor couldn't understand why I hadn't healed ,let alone was getting worse,and was very conserned about the unmmentionable possibilities!poor guy ....for all we knew it could have been a brain tumor!or MS... :rolleyes: After several trips to the hospital I did have an mri for MS..it was negitive butthen i found my "GOOD"dr.D and she's the only one who ever even considered it to be celiacs/casien...I had the had the IgG's and the IgA's and the glutamantasy thing done was positive and that was that! here I am....and I can't afford any scopes or biopsys because I have no insurance and every thing is out of pocket! :blink: oh...got to go....its time to be SUPERMOM again...thanks your your kind words! :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#26 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:13 PM

I'd heard of wheat and milk alergies....but this certainly doean't ACT like no alergy I've heard of LOL...

That's because celiac is an autoimmune disease caused by antibodies. It is not an allergy which is a histamine reaction.

#27 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Ataxia is a feeling of being off balance. I likened it to walking on a ship in a rough sea and I tended to fall to the right. Pins and needles, numbness and sometimes pain in the hands and feet is often paresthesias. If you are not already taking it get some gluten free sublingual B12 as that can help the nerves heal more quickly.

Yeah I forgot about that one! Got that to...tend to drift to the right while walking(cutting people off/running ing to them like a drunken sailor) losing my balance..while walking..sometimes even while stationary(i've gotten some real funny looks! :rolleyes:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#28 catsmeow

catsmeow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

I use Alba hawaiian hair wash, it's organic. I love it!

The formula has been changed since I wrote this. Alba is now putting hydrolyzed wheat protein into their shampoo.....GGGGRRRRR... :angry:
You've cat to be kitten me right meow

Wheat Allergy-April 2010
Gluten Intolerant-April 2010
Dairy/casien intolerant-Aug 2012
Lactose intolerant- Aug 2012
Soy Intolerant-November 2012
October 2012- I learned that I am 1/2 Irish with a strong family history of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. I will never know If I am Celiac because I will never eat gluten again in order to test postive, it's poison and I do not ever want to feel the way I felt before implementing the gluten free diet EVER again!!!

#29 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Since I'm losing my hair, I probably need to buy a gluten free shampoo. Can anyone tell me what brands are safe to use?

I did not read thru all the replies so someone may have already mentioned this. Besides looking at what you are using on your hair make sure your thyroid is good. If you mention to your doc that you are having hair loss and you are cncerned about the function of your thyroid he/she should set you up for a blood test. Thyyroid problems can cause hair loss.

However, another thing to look at is the possibility that your body is not absorbing the proper nutrients for hair growth which is not uncommon for celaics. I was losing my hair so I started taking an additional zinc supplemn on top of my multi vit which also contains zinc and take BioSil drops and my hair stopped falling out. I know a lady who took Evening Primrose oil tabs and it helped her regain her hair loss.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#30 Alwayssomething

Alwayssomething

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

Hi everybody...
I'm quite new to this, but it bothers me that everyone seems concerned with ingestion only...when talking shampoo, but if everything I've read so far talks about wheat contamination and so on...what about absorbsion?
can't it be absorbed into your skin? why isn't anyone conserned about that!? We just bought this lovely bottle of Nexxus at Cosco...My family loved it. Everyone liked the way thier hair felt...except me!I was ok at first... then my hair just went limp and raggy,dirty looking within an hour(sorta wilted). I wasn't feeling that great either...then my 12 yr old pointed out that it had (Wheat) in the ingreadiance(I hadn't thought to look..being new at this, but he did...great kid!!!)
Also in the past I have mysterous tender sopots in my scalp(like bad sun burn without the sun burn!) I'm wondering if its ben shampoo related all along (and no...I ussreally don't get shampoo in my mouth) but notice my arms and back itch alot after shampooing!
Thats what I have to say about that!
So what does anybody hear about panteane??? I know the ingreadiants have changed over the years...several times...but I just bought some and couldn't find wheat on there any where..is it under a differant name? someone mentioned on a past blog that it had gluten( I read this after googling the question this morning and this cite popped up!)
This cite has been heaven sent by the way...thats why I desided to join!!!
THANKYOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR EXPERIANCES AND ADVICE!!!

COUGIE23

I think you are very right, I like to use Benedryl as an example, the bottle says right on it not to use it on the skin if you are also ingesting another form, and every dr out there will tell you the same thing. Yet those same doctors will tell you that gluten in your beauty products will have no affect. Realy? Also most facial products claim that they are "healing" your acne/roseca making your skin healthier etc....well if that is true it is being absorbed.
I have to admit though one of my symptoms is DH so as soon as I use a product that has any form of gluten in it the rash that covers my body is worse than another other symptom I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: