This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are 2 Tests Enough?

yokomindy

yokomindy Newbie

Hello,

I've been suffering from fatigue, depression, bloating, gas, gerd and numbness in my feet for years, so thought maybe it could be celiac. My GI tested me, but only tested for the Tissue Transgltaminase Ab, IgG, and screened for Endomysial Ab, IgA. Both tests came back normal. The GI said that these two tests were all that were needed. That the other tests were unnecessary. Can anyone tell me weather these two tests would be adequate. Are the other tests on the celiac panel not needed?

Thanks.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well I personally recommend all 5 tests being done but you had the best 2 done. The thing is that they are specific for damage. The IgA and IgG even though less accurate they pick up gluten reactions in the body so I still find them useful.

Hennessey Rookie
Hello,

I've been suffering from fatigue, depression, bloating, gas, gerd and numbness in my feet for years, so thought maybe it could be celiac.  My GI tested me, but only tested for the Tissue Transgltaminase Ab, IgG, and screened for  Endomysial Ab, IgA.  Both tests came back normal.  The GI said that these two tests were all that were needed. That the other tests were unnecessary.  Can anyone tell me weather these two tests would be adequate.  Are the other tests on the celiac panel not needed?

Thanks.

Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just going to ask the same question...my son was only tested for the Anti-Endomysial and Anti-Tissue transglutaminase....they were both negative....he has numerous allergies and one is wheat. I asked him to be tested for gluten and they had said positive for Gluten, but also did those 2 blood tests for celiac as well which they said negative....I can't be more confused!! I am guessing the gluten was showing because of the wheat allergy. ??? I am guessing he does not have celiac, they seem to think not.....all this guessing drives me nuts! So my question was going to be to Kati and see what she thinks about the whole test results.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

My daughter tested positive for the anti-gliadin anti-bodies. Her Dr. supported our descision to put her on a gluten-free diet. She also is intolerant to wheat. Her allergist and pediatric Dr. both feel that the positive gluten anti-bodies are a sign that her immune system sees gluten as an invader. We have a couple of other distant family memebers that have celiac disease, but they're adults. With young children it is often times harder to get a cut and dry diagnosis. In our dd case... her allergist feels that if we continued to give her gluten, over time we would also see the Anti-Endomysial and Anti-Tissue transglutaminase turn positive as well. At this point she doesn't have celiac disease but she's intolerant to gluten. Because my dd has many intolerances and allergies we decided to go gluten-free and she has made remarkable strides. :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I think that obviously the tests show a gluten issue.

The tTG and EMA are more specific for damage so if there is none yet then they could come back negative..they are very good tests and will usually pick up damage quickly.

The first thing to elevate is IgG and IgA. They detect a problem with gluten in the body. Even though they are less accurate they do their part in the puzzle.

Archived