arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Coping With Increased Sensitivity- Any Success Stories?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 kennedymoore

kennedymoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

I would drop all Bobs Red Mill products. I am one who reacts to gluten free oats and I react to all BRM because of the gluten free oat contamination. Last Jan. I ate at a dedicated bakery that used BRM products. Ugg..I reacted terrible!

Thanks for posting that about BRM. I just purchased two of their products, one being the chocolate chip mix. I had already decided to return it because it contained soy. I have Hashimotos too and SOY is out for me. No one should consume soy unless it is fermented (my opinion). Now I am returning all of their products. Great tip!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kennedymoore

kennedymoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

I've been struggling for quite some time now with what seems to be an increased sensitivity to gluten. When I was first diagnosed about 5 years ago as non-celiac gluten sensitive, I responded incredibly well to a less than perfect gluten-free diet. That lasted about 1 1/2 years and then I started having problems again. My symptoms are and always have been intestinal distress and diarrhea and the depression that goes along with not feeling well. I have had some success by getting away from processed gluten-free foods and taking more precautions in a very gluten filled kitchen that I share with my family of five. I have not been able to bring myself to make our house gluten free due to not wanting to put my family through that. Any success that I have seems to be only temporary and then things get worse again. Have any of you gone through feeling better, getting sick again and then finding your way back to wellness? If so, I would love to hear your story. I welcome responses from everyone but am particularly interested in hearing from non-celiacs since genetic testing has my doctor pretty sure I am not celiac. Blood testing was negative for celiac, but an Igg score was 84 when anything above a thirty was positive. Never got a biopsy prior to gluten-free diet. The blood work was done prior to gluten-free diet, resulting in the initial diagnosis and prompting the gluten-free diet. The genetic testing was done fairly recently. Sure could use a mentor who has already been down this road. Taking some fairly radical precautions and still not staying well has me feeling a little discouraged.

I actually have celiac disease and I don't believe that the reaction to gluten is any different in celiacs than those who are non-celiac gluten intolerant. The obvious reaction to gluten is what most people focus on, however, because exposure can be "silent" you are still damaging your precious body. I would turn my entire kitchen and house gluten-free and not think twice about it. I have a 12-year old who does not have celiac disease but was delighted to join me on our new lifestyle. Gluten-free was the best Rx I never had. Make the transition simple: meat, seafood, fruit, vegetables, soaked seeds - all you want. You can eat well without eating anything from a box ever. Good luck to you and your family. A new life of wellness, happiness, challenges and victories await you. One day you will look back and say "living gluten-free is the easiest thing I have ever done in my life" I know I did!

#18 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:15 AM

Any luck with other brands?

Ener G, kinnikinnick, Betty Crocker-gluten free, King Arthur-gluten free, Glutino. Mostly I eat lots of fresh meats, fruits and veggies.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: