5 replies to this topic

#1 Schatz

Schatz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Two of my sons do not have the genes for celiac. So my oldest really is just allergic to wheat (he tests IgE positive) and it is not celiac.

My other son does not have celiac but he does have a gene for it. So he will be gluten-free to lower his risk of developing it.

Actually, at home the whole family will be gluten-free, but when we're out I know I only need to watch for one child to not have gluten.

I'm happy. Of course if my wish came true then none of my kids would have the gene, but I'm not complaining. :)

I am so glad I had them tested along with the genetic test.
Aug 15, 2011 Newly diagnosed and scared!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sam'sMom

Sam'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

Did you order the genetic test and do it on your own? I am thinking I want us all tested for the gene as well, but don't know the best way to go about it? thanks

#3 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

What genes did your children get tested for? Approximately 1/3 of Americans of European descent are HLA DQ2 or DQ8 positive (I believe that these are the genes that are routinely tested for in commercially available testing), and obviously, not all of these people go on to develop celiac disease.
Also, there is increased recognition that there are other genes involved in the development of celiac disease which are not routinely tested for, especially in non-European populations (check out pubmed.gov for abstracts and references referring to this). So, absence of the DQ2 and/or DQ8 antigens does not guarantee that one will not develop celiac disease.

#4 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

I got the kids tested with kimball genetics division of labcorp. They only sent a summary to my dr but I was able to call and get the full result.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#5 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

I have never had the genetic test done on any of us mostly because my insurance won't cover it. I have no desire to pay out of pocket for it. However, I am curious to what genes I do have. Although without it I'm firmly diagnosed, my youngest son for the most part is diagnosed and my oldest son is not diagnosed and has been negative on blood work several times and had a negative biopsy. I've chose to put him on a gluten free trial anyway and I have noticed some changes in him already in these past two weeks.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 Schatz

Schatz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

They were tested for the DQ8 and DQ2.

My one son has DQ2. My others have neither and the Dr. told me they have a 95% to 98% percent of not getting celiac but that it is possible to get it without those genes.

I had the gene test done at the Dr's office. It was a blood draw.
Aug 15, 2011 Newly diagnosed and scared!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: