This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Halloween Help

divamomma

divamomma Enthusiast

This will be my daughter's first Halloween since being diagnosed. I also have a 7 yr old daughter without celiac. I am very nervous about halloween and trick or treating. It has alwasy been such a big deal for us and my kids love it, so do my husband and I. How do you all handle the halloween candy? Do you let them eat the gluten-free stuff and then do what with the rest? I don't want one kid to end up with more loot than the other. I don't even know what candy would be gluten-free, it seems to be always changing. I am also in Canada. We have also thought about having both girls trick or treat then trade their loot for a large halloween basket of stuff. (kind of like an easter basket, maybe with a hunt involved). What are your thoughts? What do you all do at halloween?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gluten free overseas Apprentice

I'm a mom in the same boat! Both of my boys can't have gluten, and one can't have casein either--it's our first Halloween on the diet. Anyone out there know what to do?

I'm thinking of hosting a pumpkin or squash carving party and everyone wears costumes (maybe not the same night as Halloween) and just having candy for the boys to have after the party. It sounds like a lot of work though. But... I want my boys to be kids and to not feel like they are left out of fun stuff at holidays. I don't know what to do.

I'm already freaked about Thanksgiving too.

Mack the Knife Explorer

Yeah. I think you should let your daughters go trick and treating - and then they can come home exchange their loot with you for an equal amount of gluten free candy.

Then you can keep the candy they can't eat and give it away next Halloween.

Maybe give you daughter some gluten free candy to take with her though so she's not tempted to cheat during the evening.

domesticactivist Collaborator

We can't even eat the gluten-free candy, so the kids go trick or treating and then we buy it from them. Then we give the candy away. We also will make some treats we can eat.

shadowicewolf Proficient

either get your own and exchange it out or make your own candy (they might like this option more)

Mizzo Enthusiast

We go trick r treating, separate out a reasonable amount of gluten-free candy.(with backups of course) and donate the rest. Last year the dentist did dollars for candy and another option was donating candy to an elderly housing community. Shelters also accept unopened candy.

I backup the treats with fruit snacks, small bags of smartfood popcorn or Utz cheese balls etc..

Darn210 Enthusiast

Here are a couple of things I've done in the past . . .

I let them pick out a predetermined number of pieces of (safe) candy from their stash and the rest they trade in for a toy (one year it was a Webkinz).

I let them pick out a predetermined number of pieces of (safe) candy from their stash and I buy the rest off of them.

My daughter (celiac) trades her not-safe candy for safe candy with her brother (not celiac).

The last couple of years, my husband's office has collected Halloween candy (whatever you can pry away from the kids and the leftover's from what you pass out). They participate in a project called "Operation Gratitude" which ships it to troops overseas. Last year, my kid's school participated in the same program. Also, last year, there was a local dentist doing a buy-back program (something like $1/pound of candy). I don't know what he was doing with the candy, but he wanted to get it off the street (so-to-speak) :lol: Take a look around your community for some kind of program like these.

I do try to let them have some and get most of it out of the house because I'm the one with the weakest will power. I won't let the kids eat a bunch of candy in one sitting but I'll sneak pieces all day long :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

This will be the first gluten free Halloween for both of my boys. I will probably let them pick out what is safe and exchange the rest out with stuff they can eat. The candy we hand out is always gluten free (so I can eat some when I am handing it out :lol: ) so no big deal for us. Anyway I'm sure dad won't mind eating what we cant! I'm also hosting my 3rd Halloween party this year. First part I was diagnosed but hadn't went gluten free yet. Second party I didn't make the whole thing gluten free because of the expense, but had a separate area for gluten free food for me and three other guests. This year with both of my kids along with myself are gluten free so that's a no brainer..the whole thing will be gluten free. I'm going to keep it simple so the expense won't be to bad.

carecare Enthusiast

Does anyone have a good list of gluten free candies handy? I hadn't even thought about Halloween...something I'll have to be doing from now on.

CC

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Does anyone have a good list of gluten free candies handy? I hadn't even thought about Halloween...something I'll have to be doing from now on.

CC

Here's a list from last year: Open Original Shared Link

Keep in mind some things may have changed and may no longer be gluten-free. Several bloggers do take the time to contact companies and compile a new list each year. It usually gets posted here, so keep an eye out for an updated 2011 list.

StephanieL Enthusiast

We have AMAZING neighbors. Those who know my kids have issues have in the past gotten them books, little toys or money last year (this is our second year here so that was our first T-or-T here). Those know don't know us and gave us regular candy (kids can't do any commercial candy, we are dairy, egg, soy, peanut, tree nut, banana, coconut, palm allergic) we "buy" the candy from them. We do about 1/2 trading for safe candy and 1/2 cash/toy store gift card.

This helps in many ways too as they don't really have a stash of crappy candy around for a month or more.

allergyprone Contributor

Halloween was always my favorite

luckly for my parents i had just aged out of trick or treating when i got diagnosed with celiac disease so they didn't have to deal with it, but when i would go to a party and they would give out goodie bags i would put the safe stuff in my "safe" (let your kids build one or declare a shelf in the closet their safe "safe" and don't alow others to mess with the food on it, i had an entire cubbard, i was the only one in the family with celiac disease) and trade the rest of candy with my siblings (not celiac) for small toys like legos or cards

use halloween as a teaching opertunity allow your kids to sort their candy with a list then look over it your self and make sure it is all safe, then you can use the unsafe candy as bartering chips giving them a couple options like a nikel a piece or they can use all their candy to get a fish or something

i do not recomend giving unsafe candy to siblings unless all children fully understand what is safe and not because they will most likely retrade or get sticky fingers (i did this, your kids might not) and end up eating the bad stuff

also instead of giving out candy hand out non food items then when your kids get back just swap your kids bad stuff for the stuff in the bowl and hand out the unsafe candy

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I think you'll be surprised by how much candy they CAN have. We usually just split it into 3 piles when we get home - stuff Kiddo can eat, stuff mom and dad can eat, and stuff no one wants. I always end up throwing most of Kiddo's away eventually any way. I always let him pick out what we hand out and make sure it is gluten-free. I always buy too much, so that gets thrown in with his.

For those of you worrying about Thanksgiving...don't fret! It can be done!! We usually host one dinner (totally gluten-free) and then attend one dinner (not gluten-free, we bring our own food). Same with Christmas. Both dinners are great and Kiddo does just fine. I never feel like he is left out. It is more work, but really not enough to stress about.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I didn't read the other posts but our kids in CA hardly trick or treat any more probably due to 9/11. 18 year olds do and some people with babies. Most people attend harvest festivals held on Halloween night. They are at churches and schools. That is what we will be doing from now on. That may be a safe alternative for you. You could contribute some gluten free things as prizes.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I'm just dreaming, but what if all the gluten free restaurants, stores etc.passed out a gluten free treat on Halloween, wouldn't that be fun? Maybe someday.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Name a fully gluten free resurant.... There are none to my knowledge.

Also, another fun idea. Take some marshmellows, put them in a little bag, attach a ghost cut out and take a poam from here:

Open Original Shared Link

I've seen it done with "snowman poop" before.

Juliebove Rising Star

Most years we do not give out candy. When my daughter was younger we only handed out toys. We even did this prior to knowing of her food allergies because for the most part I am anti-candy. This year we are giving out fruit snacks that are purely fruit. Reason being she is too old for toys. Used to be I could use the extras for school parties and such.

I try to discourage her from going out Trick Or Treating. She doesn't need the candy and wouldn't be able to eat most of it anyway. And she won't go this year because she is on a low carb diet and just can't have it. When she did go out I would try to limit the number of houses she went to. Maybe 10 or 12. She would just get discouraged when she got stuff she couldn't eat. For her it's not only gluten but peanuts and almonds as well.

Back at home I would have a special treat bag for her. Small amount of food in it. Not necessarily candy. Might be gum and meat. But stuff she doesn't normally get. And some toys.

If my husband is home he will usually eat the candy she can't. Otherwise we just throw it away. And for that reason, I don't want her going out. It's just a waste.

Also keep in mind that something that could normally be safe might not be safe as a mini candy. They are not necessarily processed in the same place and can be subject to cross contamination. So unless you have the bag they came from, you won't really know.

kareng Grand Master

We could start a new thread to collect completely gluten-free restaurants. This candy thread is pretty important! ( not said sarcastically)

kareng Grand Master

Name a fully gluten free resurant.... There are none to my knowledge.

It worked. I moved the comments about resturauants to thier own thread.

• 1 month later...
Tabz Contributor

gluten-free candy bars

--------------------------

midnight milky way - not the normel one the normel one has wheat in it.

carmel milky way

sickers alomond

plain snickers

hershys bars

m&ms - ( not the pretsil filled one's

mounds

almond joy

weathers hard candy's

payday

york peperment patty's

baby ruth

tootsie rolls and pop's

these are the only ones i know so fare hope this list helps you.:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST TO BE SAFE CHECK THE LABEL'S ON THE CANDY BARS.

sometimes the ingredients change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gum's

all tridents are gluten-free

and all dentine gum too

Archived