This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Paranoia

alucard4545

alucard4545 Explorer

I'm still new to the gluten free lifestyle and it can sure be a headache. Since even a trace amount of gluten can be harmful, I start getting paranoid about possibilities of getting contaminated.

-Some of these may sound silly, but for example I'll think "Hey...what if there's gluten in tap water? I don't have a water filter and I know various things have been found in tap water."

-Another thing I'll get paranoid about is family at home either walking too close or hovering over me while I have my plate of food. (I'm the only celiac in my household) I imagine that if tiny crumbs are stuck to their clothes, that there is a chance of them falling onto my plate at these times.

-I also rinse my hands fanatically when I'm preparing food for myself in the kitchen.

So there it is. Anyone else have similar paranoid thoughts? Please share.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I hate people hovering over my plate or the serving bowls/plates. I hated that before because who wants people breathing on the food?

I will say that, as you get some processes or procedures for your food in place at home, you will feel more relaxed. I have found myself calmly eating & then suddenly remember "gluten-free?" But its OK because we have followed the procedures without even thinking about it.

Hungrylady Rookie

My adorable 5 year old son will come at me after he eats lunging in for a kiss and I have to put out my hand to his chest and stop him quick! It kills me, but he like most 5 year olds, wears his food on his face.

Personally I think in the begining a little extra caution is best. I am just like you and i am still making mistakes! Grrr....

kareng Grand Master

My adorable 5 year old son will come at me after he eats lunging in for a kiss and I have to put out my hand to his chest and stop him quick! It kills me, but he like most 5 year olds, wears his food on his face.

Personally I think in the begining a little extra caution is best. I am just like you and i am still making mistakes! Grrr....

Maybe you could get him a washcloth/hand towel with a favorite character or favorite color(they have bright orange & neon green). Wet it & put it on a plate next to his food. It could just become a habit to wipe off after he eats. Call it the "Crumby Boy Rule". No leaving the table while crumby.

heatherjane Contributor

The paranoia is normal, but it will be easier to calm down after a time of experience and learning. It has helped me to remember that mistakes/glutenings are bound to happen, but I'm still way better off than I was when I first started the diet. You have a lifetime to get the hang of the lifestyle, so try not to let it make you miserable.

Pie Lover Newbie

Heatherjane, I'm sure glad to see your post! Like others here I've been extremely paranoid since being diagnosed two weeks ago and have driven many a waiter crazy. Still, I'm sure mistakes were made, and it's a relief to know that an occasional one won't lead to catastrophe. I was afraid it would.

anabananakins Explorer

I hate people touching things of mine when they've eaten but not yet washed their hands. Ugh, I don't need their gluten-y mitts on my stuff! I am an obsessive hand washer now.

Crumbs just freak me out. Damn evil things.

It does become second nature though, and you do stress a lot less as time goes by. I remember the first time I ever ate out I was just so nervous about ordering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heatherjane Contributor

Heatherjane, I'm sure glad to see your post! Like others here I've been extremely paranoid since being diagnosed two weeks ago and have driven many a waiter crazy. Still, I'm sure mistakes were made, and it's a relief to know that an occasional one won't lead to catastrophe. I was afraid it would.

Glad I can help. :) Just to clarify, some people who are extremely sensitive will be put into the hospital by contamination, so I'm not saying that you don't need to worry about it at all. You will always need to stay diligent about avoiding crumbs and contamination and grilling the waitstaff for prep practices, but it will become second nature after a while. I've just learned from the past few years that I've been in this lifestyle is that all I can do is my very best. I can't let it ruin my life with anxiety.

swindlogg Newbie

yes, I am extremely diligent with gluten, to the point where it certainly seems like paranoia to an outsider; expressing such behaviors as not using paper towels if the roll was sitting on somewhere with crumbs (could be on the edges) to using a paper towel to hold around the remote (a popular spot for those non-gluten-free'ers in my house to snack)

I also shy away from close contact when eating, and freak out if someone waves their hand above my plate. (or anything for that matter)

Also wash out pretty much every bowl/utensil before I use them (even if they are already 'clean')..

Not really worth the risk.

Hungrylady Rookie

hey, good idea with the wash cloth. Any advice on hubby, lmol...... :P

kareng Grand Master

hey, good idea with the wash cloth. Any advice on hubby, lmol...... :P

No kissy No Lovey until he brushes, flosses and rinses.

(If he has been eating gluten)

Archived