This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Cd & Endoscopy

GlutenGecko

GlutenGecko Newbie

I'm 21 and have been suffering from what I was told is IBS for about 3 months. Note the obvious gluten-laden incidents that I apparently overlooked. I wish I had found out sooner, but I shouldn't complain if the average diagnosis time is 10 years.

It started in May after a serious of events that took place within one week of one another - a breakup after 4 years, new job, and looking for a new apartment. I was visiting friends and had several beers and spent the night. I woke up a few hours later terribly sick with IBS symptoms - no vomiting. Of course I blamed alcohol.

After 4 weeks of the same symptoms, I went to my regular doctor to talk about it. I explained the stressors and he determined that it was possibly IBS and was exacerbated by stress. Considering a family history of anxiety disorders, I decided to try Effexor XR and was given Lomotil. It worked well for diarrhea but didn't relieve bloating/gas/pain.

I went out for dinner with the same friend as the beer incident. We had some very good rosemary bread - we ate 3 loaves between us - and then had large dishes of pasta. Less than an hour later, I was sicker than I had been thus far. However, that morning, I had felt completely normal.

2 weeks later, I decided that enough was enough, and I saw a gastroenterologist. He went immediately to IBS. I am of the school of thought that IBS is mostly a fallback for uneducated doctors who make misdiagnoses. He gave me Levsin and shooed me away.

Levsin sucks.

At this point, my brother was hospitalized with simliar symptoms, but has since completely recovered. We don't live together and hadn't seen one another in a while.

I went back after calling his office over the weekend. I'm sure he was happy to have to call me on a Saturday afternoon. When I went in, he said, and I quote: "Oh, classic IBS symptoms. Take 3 Levsin at once. Take this antinausea medication too."

Not only did it not work, but so many Levsin tablets gave me such bad dry mouth that I couldn't eat without washing food down. Nausea wasn't reduced whatsoever.

How I managed to scour the Internet since the beginning of being sick and not seen information on celiac disease is beyond me. As soon as I saw the symptom list, most notably the recurring bloating/D/steatorrhea/malabsorption, I was convinced. I am 6'1 and went from 180 lbs to under 160 lbs.

I went gluten-free as of Friday night. I still had D on Saturday, but much less bloating. Frequency was still there Sunday, but no steatorrhea. I even had some beloved coffee, which I had sworn off thinking that it was a culprit. Of course, I'm sure caffeine doesn't help.

Before finding out about celiac disease, I had scheduled a colonoscopy/endoscopy for later this month. My real questions out of all of this are: Do they routinely take biospies to test for celiac disease? If not, will they do it upon my request or do they need my gastroenterologist's recommendation? Do I absolutely need a blood test first even though they're going down there anyway? Finally, if I stay gluten-free for the next 2 weeks - because I'm feeling pretty damn good so far - will it affect the biopsy?

Thanks for reading, guys. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Before finding out about celiac disease, I had scheduled a colonoscopy/endoscopy for later this month.  My real questions out of all of this are: Do they routinely take biospies to test for celiac disease?  If not, will they do it upon my request or do they need my gastroenterologist's recommendation?  Do I absolutely need a blood test first even though they're going down there anyway?  Finally, if I stay gluten-free for the next 2 weeks -  because I'm feeling pretty damn good so far - will it affect the biopsy?

Thanks for reading, guys.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Colonoscopies can not detect celiac because celiac damage is found in the small intestine and colonoscopies do the large intestine.

A biopsy is usually done after a blood test however a positive biopsy can rule celiac in but a negative one CAN'T rule celiac out. If it comes back negative then there could be no damage yet(if its in beginning stages)or sporadic damage that they missed.

The complete panel which includes the following works very well.

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

In fact the tTG will be taking the place of biopsies for diagnosis at least in kids very soon.

The tTG and EMA(the best 2 tests)pick up damage, the IgA and IgG pick up gluten sensitivity in the body. The total serum IgA can rule out IgA deficiency.

Don't expect all symptoms to go away so soon though. It's wonderful you are feeling at least a little better. Time for symptoms to go away varies. I was improving by the 3rd month alot but really wasn't back to normal until the 8th month.

Being gluten free will effect results. As soon as you start the diet your body starts to heal so they would not come back accurate.

Many doctors are clueless about celiac. If you feel better go with that.

Welcome to the board...this is a great place. We have very knowledgable and supportive people on here. You'll find out what to look for and the good brands of food and products. :D

cgd Newbie

Beer definitely hurt me the last couple of times I drank it--the pain! So I haven't really missed it. Glad you're feeling better and welcome!

Merika Contributor

Heya,

Go get your blood tests RIGHT NOW and then maybe you won't even need those invasive tests. :)

Btw, anxiety commonly goes along with celiac, and since you mentioned that runs in your family.......

Welcome,

Merika :)

Archived