Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Simona

81 posts in this topic

Simona

Ads by Google:

Thanks for posting this. I love challah bread and this recipe (the combinations, ratios) looks delicious!

Thanks for posting this. I love challah bread and this recipe (the combinations, ratios) looks delicious!

Check it now, I posted some pictures too.

Check it now, I posted some pictures too.

OMG!

Simona, will you marry me? No...wait..I'm already married to a guy. :blink:

Will you be my mommy? :lol:

Looks like another great recipe!

I realized that I forgot to right salt in the ingredients. I fixed the recipe.

I hope that people would make this recipe the right way.

I realized that I forgot to right salt in the ingredients. I fixed the recipe.

I hope that people would make this recipe the right way.

Any gluten-free recipe you can form with your hands rather than spread wins my vote! I am making this tomorrow.

Any gluten-free recipe you can form with your hands rather than spread wins my vote! I am making this tomorrow.

I just baked this. I divided dough in half. From one part I made a small Challah in bread pan with only three braids and from another I made an apple cake.

I ate one big slice from cake and one slice from Challah. I

I just baked this. I divided dough in half. From one part I made a small Challah in bread pan with only three braids and from another I made an apple cake.

I ate one big slice from cake and one slice from Challah. I

OMG!!!

You are brilliant!

I'm making that this winter.

You are amazing!

Thank you for the compliments. I understand the pain that we feel when we see something in store, or bakery that we were able to eat, and now we can just watch. If I make something that is good, really good I will share it right away with you guys.

P.S.: If you like to have sweeter Challah, add 2 more Tbsp. of sugar.

That looks wonderful! Question, do you think I can make this if I don't have a stand mixer? I only have a little hand mixer. Is the dough very hard to mix? Would it burn up my motor on my little hand mixer? I am very tempted to try. You are making some amazing things!

That looks wonderful! Question, do you think I can make this if I don't have a stand mixer? I only have a little hand mixer. Is the dough very hard to mix? Would it burn up my motor on my little hand mixer? I am very tempted to try. You are making some amazing things!

I think that you would burn the motor. The dough isn't very hard, but the hand mixer wouldn't survive.

I didn't have stand mixer before neither, and I tried to find the ways how can I make things without the expensive stand mixer.

My suggestion is:

Proof the yeast. Put all dry ingredients in bowl and strain them few times through strainer for pasta. Mix Eggs and margarine with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.

Mix all ingredients together with hands for about 5-7 minutes and continue with the recipe.

Enjoy!

I think that you would burn the motor. The dough isn't very hard, but the hand mixer wouldn't survive.

I didn't have stand mixer before neither, and I tried to find the ways how can I make things without the expensive stand mixer.

My suggestion is:

Proof the yeast. Put all dry ingredients in bowl and strain them few times through strainer for pasta. Mix Eggs and margarine with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.

Mix all ingredients together with hands for about 5-7 minutes and continue with the recipe.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Perhaps I will try that method to make this bread. I am hoping to get a stand mixer for Christmas this year so if I have to I can wait to do it right. :)

Thanks! Perhaps I will try that method to make this bread. I am hoping to get a stand mixer for Christmas this year so if I have to I can wait to do it right. :)

When I worked with the stand mixer, I didn

You will find that a stand mixer makes ALL the difference in gluten-free bread making. If you like making pasta I highly recommend the pasta attachment (if the mixer is a KitchenAid).

Hi! Did you made the Challah? If yes, how was it? Today is Tuesday and mine still soft. If you didn't like it, what do I need to change to have a better recipe?

Hi! Did you made the Challah? If yes, how was it? Today is Tuesday and mine still soft. If you didn't like it, what do I need to change to have a better recipe?

Simona, I intended to make it yesterday but I had a lot of pain (chronic back pain). However, I see my chiropractor and have a nice long massage scheduled for this afternoon. So, I am definitely going to make it tomorrow. I also plan to do a lot of canning and making jams, etc. because we had to pick all our veg and herbs because of frost. Can't wait!

I'm glad your challah is still so soft. I am very excited about this recipe and will be sure to post my experience with it. :)

I also did not get a chance to make it. I don't have enough brown rice flour. My gluten-free store that I was getting it from went out of business and I have only been able to find Bob's Red Mill flours. So I had to order some online. I have everything else (except the stand mixer). As soon as I can I am going to try to make it. Will be watching this thread for Love2travel's experience. :)

Simona, my Simona Challah Bread is now rising! I did not have a chance to make it yesterday, either, but today was the day. I cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to form the bread rather than spread it out into a pan. It wasn't sticky at all. I subbed some sorghum flour for some of the white rice flour - will see how that works. I also love using bacon fat (for rubbing the dough). It looks so lovely. Cannot wait to try it - will post results very soon. :) It was such a pleasure to make and I bet it will be even more of a pleasure to eat! :P I've busily been making lots of preserves and am itching to try them with the bread.

Just a quick note - the recipe calls for a stick of margarine but does not mention when to add it in. As I am a baker I knew but for those new to baking it would be helpful to mention that in the original directions. :)

Simona, my Simona Challah Bread is now rising! I did not have a chance to make it yesterday, either, but today was the day. I cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to form the bread rather than spread it out into a pan. It wasn't sticky at all. I subbed some sorghum flour for some of the white rice flour - will see how that works. I also love using bacon fat (for rubbing the dough). It looks so lovely. Cannot wait to try it - will post results very soon. :) It was such a pleasure to make and I bet it will be even more of a pleasure to eat! :P I've busily been making lots of preserves and am itching to try them with the bread.

Just a quick note - the recipe calls for a stick of margarine but does not mention when to add it in. As I am a baker I knew but for those new to baking it would be helpful to mention that in the original directions. :)

I hope your Challah would come out perfect. Today is Thursday and mine still soft. I made French toast from it for lunch today. I had finally tasted real French toast with maple sirup. :) :)

Ooo, I mixed margarine (unsalted) together with everything at once. I wanted to make a very simple recipe. Mix everything and bake. :D :D When I baked from regular flour before, the last thing that I added into dough was butter. Now... I did it this way.

I hope your Challah would come out perfect. Today is Thursday and mine still soft. I made French toast from it for lunch today. I had finally tasted real French toast with maple sirup. :) :)

Ooo, I mixed margarine together with everything at once. I wanted to make a very simple recipe. Mix everything and bake. :D :D When I baked from regular flour before, the last thing that I added into dough was butter. Now... I did it this way.

French toast - awesome idea! I was thinking of making a butterscotch French toast and this bread looks like it would be perfect. It looks so good rising. I will cry tears of happiness if it tastes as good as it looks - I see other possibilities for this dough such as cinnamon rolls. A savoury version would be awesome, too, for things such as bruschetta. Simona, I think you have a hit on your hands. I really do.

I just came to post that mine is rising as well! I had to make a few changes. I used corn starch in place of the arrow root and coconut milk in place of the rice milk. For margerine I used Earth Balance dairy free and soy free spread. I mixed it all up by hand and then formed it. This dough smells like a soft pretzel dough to me. I think I might use this same recipe to try to make soft pretzels next. It smells heavenly and I have not even baked it yet! :)

I'm waiting by the computer for any reply about your baking like a small baby for a piece of cake after dinner.

I was struck by the smell myself. OMG!!!! It's our "miracle bread'???? I hope... B) B)

I'm waiting by the computer for any reply about your baking like a small baby for a piece of cake after dinner.

I was struck by the smell myself. OMG!!!! It's our "miracle bread'???? I hope... B) B)

I'm practically pacing waiting for it! Thirty minutes to go before I tear into it.

I just came to post that mine is rising as well! I had to make a few changes. I used corn starch in place of the arrow root and coconut milk in place of the rice milk. For margerine I used Earth Balance dairy free and soy free spread. I mixed it all up by hand and then formed it. This dough smells like a soft pretzel dough to me. I think I might use this same recipe to try to make soft pretzels next. It smells heavenly and I have not even baked it yet! :)

I'm so excited I'm almost holding my breath! Mine has about 28 minutes to bake. Is yours in the oven yet?