(Gluten and casein free)

Ingredients:

3 cups white rice flour
2 cups brown rice flour
˝ cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
˝ cup arrowroot starch
3 Tbsp. Xantam gum
1 teaspoon Baking soda (I used measuring spoons)
1 Tbsp. of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt

3 cups of warm vanilla rice milk
2 rapid yeast packets
3 Tbsp. of sugar

4 large eggs
1 egg white
1 stick of Fleishman margarine in room temperature, not melted

Egg wash:
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. or sugar
1 Tbsp. of rice milk

Direction:

1. Mix yeast, sugar and warm milk together and let it rise for about 15-20 minutes.

2. Put all dry ingredient in stand mixer. Add proofed yeast, eggs, and egg white. Mix for 3 minutes on low and 2- 3 minutes on high.

3. Place waxed paper on 10x15 baking sheet. Take a bigger cutting board and spread some oil (vegetable, canola) over. Divide dough on 6-8 pieces. Put some oil on yours hands, the same way like you do with lotion. Take one peace of dough, make ball and roll it into braid long about 6-7 inches. Repeat it three times. Take this braids and braid them together. Place them on baking pan.
If you work with 8 pieces, make second row of the Challah the same way as first. For the third row of Challah use only two pieces.

Posted Image

If you work with 6 pieces, then make second row with two braids and the first with one (like letter S).
When you work with braids, always have oily hands. Don’t be afraid to use oil. Nothing will happen to dough.
This part is messy and little complicated, but it can be done.

4. Let it rise for 40-50 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. Mix 1 egg yolk, sugar and milk and spread this mixture with brush over Challah. Bake it for 50-60 minutes.

Posted Image

7. Mix 3 Tbsp. of sugar and 2 Tbsp. of water and spread it over Challah after you take it out.
Enjoy! This Challah tastes like the real think. It’s very good and very soft for 3-4 days.

Posted Image

OR

I bough round porcelain dish for pies. It’s 2 inch deep and have 9 inches in diameter. I used it the second time when I baked this Challah.
I divided dough 6 times. I braided three braids together and placed them in one half of the pie pan. I repeated this with other three braids.

Posted Image

I let it rise for 1 hour and baked on 350 F for 50 minutes. After I took it out, I spread the sugary water over the top of Challah.

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŚeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for posting this. I love challah bread and this recipe (the combinations, ratios) looks delicious!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for posting this. I love challah bread and this recipe (the combinations, ratios) looks delicious!

Check it now, I posted some pictures too.

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

Check it now, I posted some pictures too.

OMG!

Simona, will you marry me? No...wait..I'm already married to a guy. :blink:

Will you be my mommy? :lol:

Looks like another great recipe!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

I realized that I forgot to right salt in the ingredients. I fixed the recipe.
I hope that people would make this recipe the right way.

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

I realized that I forgot to right salt in the ingredients. I fixed the recipe.
I hope that people would make this recipe the right way.

Any gluten-free recipe you can form with your hands rather than spread wins my vote! I am making this tomorrow.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:05 PM

Any gluten-free recipe you can form with your hands rather than spread wins my vote! I am making this tomorrow.

I just baked this. I divided dough in half. From one part I made a small Challah in bread pan with only three braids and from another I made an apple cake.
I ate one big slice from cake and one slice from Challah. I’m watching TV now and waiting when I can go sleep because I ate too much. Hahaha…

#8 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

I just baked this. I divided dough in half. From one part I made a small Challah in bread pan with only three braids and from another I made an apple cake.
I ate one big slice from cake and one slice from Challah. I’m watching TV now and waiting when I can go sleep because I ate too much. Hahaha…

Yum! I don't blame you for eating too much. It truly looks good. Plus the fact that it remains soft for a few days is a bonus, that is for sure. Looking forward to it!

#9 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:56 PM

OMG!!!
You are brilliant!
I'm making that this winter.
You are amazing!
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#10 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:32 AM

Thank you for the compliments. I understand the pain that we feel when we see something in store, or bakery that we were able to eat, and now we can just watch. If I make something that is good, really good I will share it right away with you guys.

P.S.: If you like to have sweeter Challah, add 2 more Tbsp. of sugar.

#11 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

That looks wonderful! Question, do you think I can make this if I don't have a stand mixer? I only have a little hand mixer. Is the dough very hard to mix? Would it burn up my motor on my little hand mixer? I am very tempted to try. You are making some amazing things!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#12 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

That looks wonderful! Question, do you think I can make this if I don't have a stand mixer? I only have a little hand mixer. Is the dough very hard to mix? Would it burn up my motor on my little hand mixer? I am very tempted to try. You are making some amazing things!

I think that you would burn the motor. The dough isn't very hard, but the hand mixer wouldn't survive.
I didn't have stand mixer before neither, and I tried to find the ways how can I make things without the expensive stand mixer.
My suggestion is:
Proof the yeast. Put all dry ingredients in bowl and strain them few times through strainer for pasta. Mix Eggs and margarine with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.
Mix all ingredients together with hands for about 5-7 minutes and continue with the recipe.
Enjoy!

#13 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

I think that you would burn the motor. The dough isn't very hard, but the hand mixer wouldn't survive.
I didn't have stand mixer before neither, and I tried to find the ways how can I make things without the expensive stand mixer.
My suggestion is:
Proof the yeast. Put all dry ingredients in bowl and strain them few times through strainer for pasta. Mix Eggs and margarine with hand mixer for 1-2 minutes.
Mix all ingredients together with hands for about 5-7 minutes and continue with the recipe.
Enjoy!

Thanks! Perhaps I will try that method to make this bread. I am hoping to get a stand mixer for Christmas this year so if I have to I can wait to do it right. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#14 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

Thanks! Perhaps I will try that method to make this bread. I am hoping to get a stand mixer for Christmas this year so if I have to I can wait to do it right. :)

When I worked with the stand mixer, I didn’t use whisk or hook attachment. I used the middle think. It didn’t whisked eggs, or wasn’t so hard that you needed hook. Everything was just mixed together. By straining the dry ingredients you will mix Xantan gum evenly. By mixing eggs with margarine you would give your cake some fluffiness. I don’t see big different by mixing all ingredients with hands. Before I went on gluten and casein free diet, I have been making cakes, breads the same way for years. Nobody uses stand mixer in my country. I bough the mixer because some recipes have very sticky dough that you have hard time to get it out of mixer (usually they are not so great).
Make the bread without mixer. It will be good.

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

You will find that a stand mixer makes ALL the difference in gluten-free bread making. If you like making pasta I highly recommend the pasta attachment (if the mixer is a KitchenAid).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: