80 replies to this topic

#16 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

Any gluten-free recipe you can form with your hands rather than spread wins my vote! I am making this tomorrow.

Hi! Did you made the Challah? If yes, how was it? Today is Tuesday and mine still soft. If you didn't like it, what do I need to change to have a better recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŚeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hi! Did you made the Challah? If yes, how was it? Today is Tuesday and mine still soft. If you didn't like it, what do I need to change to have a better recipe?

Simona, I intended to make it yesterday but I had a lot of pain (chronic back pain). However, I see my chiropractor and have a nice long massage scheduled for this afternoon. So, I am definitely going to make it tomorrow. I also plan to do a lot of canning and making jams, etc. because we had to pick all our veg and herbs because of frost. Can't wait!

I'm glad your challah is still so soft. I am very excited about this recipe and will be sure to post my experience with it. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#18 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:55 AM

I also did not get a chance to make it. I don't have enough brown rice flour. My gluten-free store that I was getting it from went out of business and I have only been able to find Bob's Red Mill flours. So I had to order some online. I have everything else (except the stand mixer). As soon as I can I am going to try to make it. Will be watching this thread for Love2travel's experience. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#19 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Simona, my Simona Challah Bread is now rising! I did not have a chance to make it yesterday, either, but today was the day. I cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to form the bread rather than spread it out into a pan. It wasn't sticky at all. I subbed some sorghum flour for some of the white rice flour - will see how that works. I also love using bacon fat (for rubbing the dough). It looks so lovely. Cannot wait to try it - will post results very soon. :) It was such a pleasure to make and I bet it will be even more of a pleasure to eat! :P I've busily been making lots of preserves and am itching to try them with the bread.

Just a quick note - the recipe calls for a stick of margarine but does not mention when to add it in. As I am a baker I knew but for those new to baking it would be helpful to mention that in the original directions. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#20 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Simona, my Simona Challah Bread is now rising! I did not have a chance to make it yesterday, either, but today was the day. I cannot tell you how wonderful it felt to form the bread rather than spread it out into a pan. It wasn't sticky at all. I subbed some sorghum flour for some of the white rice flour - will see how that works. I also love using bacon fat (for rubbing the dough). It looks so lovely. Cannot wait to try it - will post results very soon. :) It was such a pleasure to make and I bet it will be even more of a pleasure to eat! :P I've busily been making lots of preserves and am itching to try them with the bread.

Just a quick note - the recipe calls for a stick of margarine but does not mention when to add it in. As I am a baker I knew but for those new to baking it would be helpful to mention that in the original directions. :)

I hope your Challah would come out perfect. Today is Thursday and mine still soft. I made French toast from it for lunch today. I had finally tasted real French toast with maple sirup. :) :)

Ooo, I mixed margarine (unsalted) together with everything at once. I wanted to make a very simple recipe. Mix everything and bake. :D :D When I baked from regular flour before, the last thing that I added into dough was butter. Now... I did it this way.

#21 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

I hope your Challah would come out perfect. Today is Thursday and mine still soft. I made French toast from it for lunch today. I had finally tasted real French toast with maple sirup. :) :)

Ooo, I mixed margarine together with everything at once. I wanted to make a very simple recipe. Mix everything and bake. :D :D When I baked from regular flour before, the last thing that I added into dough was butter. Now... I did it this way.

French toast - awesome idea! I was thinking of making a butterscotch French toast and this bread looks like it would be perfect. It looks so good rising. I will cry tears of happiness if it tastes as good as it looks - I see other possibilities for this dough such as cinnamon rolls. A savoury version would be awesome, too, for things such as bruschetta. Simona, I think you have a hit on your hands. I really do.

#22 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

I just came to post that mine is rising as well! I had to make a few changes. I used corn starch in place of the arrow root and coconut milk in place of the rice milk. For margerine I used Earth Balance dairy free and soy free spread. I mixed it all up by hand and then formed it. This dough smells like a soft pretzel dough to me. I think I might use this same recipe to try to make soft pretzels next. It smells heavenly and I have not even baked it yet! :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#23 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I'm waiting by the computer for any reply about your baking like a small baby for a piece of cake after dinner.
I was struck by the smell myself. OMG!!!! It's our "miracle bread'???? I hope... B) B)

#24 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

I'm waiting by the computer for any reply about your baking like a small baby for a piece of cake after dinner.
I was struck by the smell myself. OMG!!!! It's our "miracle bread'???? I hope... B) B)

I'm practically pacing waiting for it! Thirty minutes to go before I tear into it.

#25 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

I just came to post that mine is rising as well! I had to make a few changes. I used corn starch in place of the arrow root and coconut milk in place of the rice milk. For margerine I used Earth Balance dairy free and soy free spread. I mixed it all up by hand and then formed it. This dough smells like a soft pretzel dough to me. I think I might use this same recipe to try to make soft pretzels next. It smells heavenly and I have not even baked it yet! :)

I'm so excited I'm almost holding my breath! Mine has about 28 minutes to bake. Is yours in the oven yet?

#26 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

I'm so excited I'm almost holding my breath! Mine has about 28 minutes to bake. Is yours in the oven yet?

How long are you planning to keep it in? If the Challah doesn't look like on my pictures, keep it little longer. Even 5 minutes makes different.
Don't forget to brush it with sugary water.
I'm waiting with you guys. I still have from mine, other wise I would bake it with you. Ach... The warm, freshly baked Challah is best.

#27 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I JUST put it in the oven! So mine won't be ready for about an hour. I made two small loafs instead of one. I can't even think of what to make for dinner, I'm so excited about this bread. I think I'm going to make my husband eat leftovers and I'm going to eat this bread for dinner. :lol: Seriously, I keep trying to come up with meals that go well with good bread and I can't think of any! I've gotten in the mode of making food that doesn't require bread with it. Maybe tommorrow I will have to make a good thick soup or something else that is good with bread to sop it up. :D

#28 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

How long are you planning to keep it in? If the Challah doesn't look like on my pictures, keep it little longer. Even 5 minutes makes different.
Don't forget to brush it with sugary water.
I'm waiting with you guys. I still have from mine, other wise I would bake it with you. Ach... The warm, freshly baked Challah is best.

Likely 50 minutes but I always set the timer for about ten minutes less then work my way up. I cook/bake to temperature so I am looking for an internal temp of 190. Only about 12 minutes left!

#29 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

I JUST put it in the oven! So mine won't be ready for about an hour. I made two small loafs instead of one. I can't even think of what to make for dinner, I'm so excited about this bread. I think I'm going to make my husband eat leftovers and I'm going to eat this bread for dinner. :lol: Seriously, I keep trying to come up with meals that go well with good bread and I can't think of any! I've gotten in the mode of making food that doesn't require bread with it. Maybe tommorrow I will have to make a good thick soup or something else that is good with bread to sop it up. :D

We're having vichyssoise soup with it tonight (but I will most certainly be having my share before dinner).

#30 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

We're having vichyssoise soup with it tonight (but I will most certainly be having my share before dinner).

I'm thinking butternut squash soup tommorrow if I don't devour all the bread before then. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: