80 replies to this topic

#31 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Likely 50 minutes but I always set the timer for about ten minutes less then work my way up. I cook/bake to temperature so I am looking for an internal temp of 190. Only about 12 minutes left!

This is fun that we both ended up making it at the same time. We should have bake off days where everyone bakes something on the same day and shares what they are baking.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŚeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

I'm thinking butternut squash soup tommorrow if I don't devour all the bread before then. :lol:

Yum! I just bought some butternut squash for the same reason - roasted butternut squash and carrot soup with ginger and spices and maybe some pepitas. In my dairy days I would have added some peppered creme fraiche!

Man, this bread thing is so exciting! As soon as it is out of the oven I am tearing off a big old chunk.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#33 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

This is fun that we both ended up making it at the same time. We should have bake off days where everyone bakes something on the same day and shares what they are baking.

Isn't it funny? Great minds think alike! ;) I would love to have bake-off days - I was thinking the same thing. Ooooooh...my buzzer just went!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#34 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

Yum! I just bought some butternut squash for the same reason - roasted butternut squash and carrot soup with ginger and spices and maybe some pepitas. In my dairy days I would have added some peppered creme fraiche!

Man, this bread thing is so exciting! As soon as it is out of the oven I am tearing off a big old chunk.

I'm just starting to see winter squashes in the market here. I love this time of year! Coconut milk (in the can) is a great addition to soup to make it creamy.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#35 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Isn't it funny? Great minds think alike! ;) I would love to have bake-off days - I was thinking the same thing. Ooooooh...my buzzer just went!

Mine is starting to smell heavenly! 35 mintues left!

#36 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

I'm just starting to see winter squashes in the market here. I love this time of year! Coconut milk (in the can) is a great addition to soup to make it creamy.

Is it ever. I love coconut milk - always have and even more so now.

Bread is only at 170 - must wait a few minutes longer, darn it. :angry:

#37 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

I just took a look in my oven and it is looking beautiful! The loaves are lightly golden right now like a piece of crusty French bread.

#38 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

I JUST put it in the oven! So mine won't be ready for about an hour. I made two small loafs instead of one. I can't even think of what to make for dinner, I'm so excited about this bread. I think I'm going to make my husband eat leftovers and I'm going to eat this bread for dinner. :lol: Seriously, I keep trying to come up with meals that go well with good bread and I can't think of any! I've gotten in the mode of making food that doesn't require bread with it. Maybe tommorrow I will have to make a good thick soup or something else that is good with bread to sop it up. :D

Potato beans soup
5-7 potatoes
1 can kidney beans
2 hot-dogs, oil for roasting
1 small onion
3 Tbsp. of oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp. dry red pepper (paprika), black pepper, salt,
2 Tbsp. corn starch
2 Tbsp. rice flour
Peel potatoes and make small cubes about ˝ inch x ˝ inch from them. Put them in pot and add water evenly with them.. Cook them for 15 minutes. Add beans, chopped garlic, salt, pepper.
Chop onion and roast it golden brown. Take it off the stove and add dry red pepper. Pure into soup.
Chop hot-dogs on little cubes and roast them in pan with little oil. Add to soup.
At the end mix corn starch and rice flour with about 1 cup water and add to soup. The soup will thicken. Be prepared with 1 cup water because it can get very thick and with water you will adjust the consistence.
Do the final taste and check, if you need more salt, or spices, or even dry garlic and enjoy!

P.S.: You can change hot-dogs for 4-5 chopped bacon slices.

#39 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

I just took a look in my oven and it is looking beautiful! The loaves are lightly golden right now like a piece of crusty French bread.

OK - FINALLY out of the oven. Only half is with sugar water because I wanted some savoury bread, too. It still looks beautiful, it rose nicely and is golden brown. I ripped a chunk off (couldn't stand it) and am just now devouring it with ghee (the non-sugary side). I really like the texture and flavour. Will be able to tell more after it cools a bit...

#40 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

OK - FINALLY out of the oven. Only half is with sugar water because I wanted some savoury bread, too. It still looks beautiful, it rose nicely and is golden brown. I ripped a chunk off (couldn't stand it) and am just now devouring it with ghee (the non-sugary side). I really like the texture and flavour. Will be able to tell more after it cools a bit...

I'm happy that you like it so far. I have my laptop in kitchen and what I managed to do from my dinner was just to peel potatoes. Husband isn't going to be happy :lol: :lol:

#41 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Potato beans soup
5-7 potatoes
1 can kidney beans
2 hot-dogs, oil for roasting
1 small onion
3 Tbsp. of oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp. dry red pepper (paprika), black pepper, salt,
2 Tbsp. corn starch
2 Tbsp. rice flour
Peel potatoes and make small cubes about ˝ inch x ˝ inch from them. Put them in pot and add water evenly with them.. Cook them for 15 minutes. Add beans, chopped garlic, salt, pepper.
Chop onion and roast it golden brown. Take it off the stove and add dry red pepper. Pure into soup.
Chop hot-dogs on little cubes and roast them in pan with little oil. Add to soup.
At the end mix corn starch and rice flour with about 1 cup water and add to soup. The soup will thicken. Be prepared with 1 cup water because it can get very thick and with water you will adjust the consistence.
Do the final taste and if you need more salt, or spices, or even dry garlic and enjoy!

P.S.: You can change hot-dogs for 4-5 chopped bacon slices.

Thanks! I cannot think of the last time I bought hot dogs. It is hard to find ones that are soy free and pork free too. Sounds like a good hardy soup though. I will keep it in mind.

#42 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

Thanks! I cannot think of the last time I bought hot dogs. It is hard to find ones that are soy free and pork free too. Sounds like a good hardy soup though. I will keep it in mind.

It is good soup. As I sad, you can use bacon- turkey for meat in it. I'm making it only in winter and only about twice, but when I do, everybody enjoy it.

You can eat this bread with stuffed cabbage, or some pasta dish, or just with butter.

#43 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

It is good soup. As I sad, you can use bacon- turkey for meat in it. I'm making it only in winter and only about twice, but when I do, everybody enjoy it.

You can eat this bread with stuffed cabbage, or some pasta dish, or just with butter.

Oh, you are genius! I am too lazy to cook tonight so pasta it is! I can have that ready in 15 minutes and have bread on the side.

#44 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm waiting for your reports. Is the Challah good, or not?

#45 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm waiting for your reports. Is the Challah good, or not?

It is very good! My husband's words were: "If that is not a recipe you found online you should share it on celiac.com". Then I told him I found it here! :lol:

I am wishing that it were either a little sweeter or less sweet and more savory. Next time I will try it with vanilla flavored almond milk since your recipe called for vanilla flavored rice milk. Or I will make it with plain homemade rice milk and use fresh herbs to make it savory. Also I have noticed that when I make baked goods with coconut milk they are very moist but don't rise as much. This a great soft bread but I wish it were a little more fluffy. It may be because of the milk or because I mixed by hand. It is the best I have made since being gluten free however. I love the crust that it has from the egg wash. Thank you for sharing it with us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: