80 replies to this topic

#61 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŒeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

I'm confused now which part was wrong but I will be sure to pay attention to the original post when I make it again. The texture and taste of this bread today was a little like biscotti. I think that if I were to put the slices in the oven and dry them like you do for croutons it would make an excellent biscotti. Sorry to say my bread did not stay soft but it still has a good flavor to it. I dipped pieces from my second small loaf into soup today. Tommorrow I will make either french toast or biscotti with the rest of it.

Same here! Not soft any longer (quite dry) BUT will make good French toast tomorrow! Next time I will make two loaves and freeze one. Or make some buns.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 Simona19

Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

Same here! Not soft any longer (quite dry) BUT will make good French toast tomorrow! Next time I will make two loaves and freeze one. Or make some buns.

Mine is dry this time too- more baking soda could be the reason. It isn't tasty like before. :angry:

The recipe should be like this:

Simona’s braided Challah
(Soft and edible for many days- no need to freeze)

Ingredients:

3 cups white rice flour
2 cups brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
½ cup arrowroot starch
3 Tbsp. Xantam gum
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1 Tbsp. of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of warm vanilla rice milk
2 rapid yeast packets ( it must be rapid yeast!)
3-5 Tbsp. of sugar (5 Tbsp., if you want to have a sweeter Challah bread)

4 large eggs
1 egg white
1 stick of Fleishman unsalted margarine in room temperature, not melted (if you don't have, use salted, but don't add salt anymore)

Egg wash:
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. or sugar
1 Tbsp. of rice milk

Direction:

1. Mix yeast, sugar and warm milk together and let it rise for about 15-20 minutes.

2. Put all dry ingredient in stand mixer. Add proofed yeast, eggs, and egg white. Mix for 3 minutes on low and 2- 3 minutes on high.

3. Place waxed paper on 10x15 baking sheet. Take a bigger cutting board and spread some oil (vegetable, canola) over. Divide dough on 6-8 pieces. Put some oil on yours hands, the same way like you do with lotion. Take one peace of dough, make ball and roll it into braid long about 6-7 inches. Repeat it three times. Take this braids and braid them together. Place them on baking pan.
If you work with 8 pieces, make second row of the Challah the same way as first. For the third row of Challah use only two pieces.
If you work with 6 pieces, then make second row with two braids and the first with one (like letter S).
When you work with braids, always have oily hands. Don’t be afraid to use oil. Nothing will happen to dough.
This part is messy and little complicated, but it can be done.

4. Let it rise for 40-50 minutes (it colder room, for 1 hour).
5. Preheat oven to 350 F.
6. Mix 1 egg yolk, sugar and milk and spread this mixture with brush over Challah. Bake it for 50-60 minutes.
7. Mix 3 Tbsp. of sugar and 2 Tbsp. of water and spread it over Challah after you take it out.

#63 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

This dough would be good for a chocolate babka, cinnamon rolls, buns, or bread sticks like others sad.
Sorry for dry bread.
I found out myself that you need to use everything like I wrote, otherwise the result can be slightly different and not always good.
I kept my bread covered with plastic foil and in a plastic bag from store. It was soft for 3 days. On forth day I made French toast and it was soft, and good. I still have half from mine. I think I will make toasts tommorow to.

#64 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

If somebody makes cinnamon rolls out of this...please write about it. I love reading about this bread!
I'm going to have to try...hey GlutenFreeManna? Did you make yours without using a mixer???

Did all of you make braids with your bread dough???
Did anyone make regular loaves?
Is this important or not? :unsure:
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#65 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

If somebody makes cinnamon rolls out of this...please write about it. I love reading about this bread!
I'm going to have to try...hey GlutenFreeManna? Did you make yours without using a mixer???

Did all of you make braids with your bread dough???
Did anyone make regular loaves?
Is this important or not? :unsure:

Yes I made mine by mixing by hand as suggested by Simona. It was hard work but I managed to get it mixed up well. I made two small braided loaves with only three threads in each bread. I had never made challah bread before so I didn't want to get to complicated with four or six threaded braids. The dough was not hard to work with as long as you had lots of oil on your hands. I had to re-oil my hands about 3 times while forming the loaves.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#66 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:08 AM

I made the smaller Challah bread myself with the half of dough. With the other half I made an apple
cake. I also made buns.

Posted Image

This Challah was soft for 3 days.
Posted Image

Apple cake
dough ( I covered the bottom of the pan by spreading the dough by hands), shredded apples, sugar, cinnamon and dough on top (you must devide dough on 4-6 slices, spread it in your hands and cover the top of cake one part at time - the dough is delicate and you wouldn't be able to cover all area at ones)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#67 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:28 AM

Oh my Gosh that is just beautiful!
I love the way the dough looks prebaked.
Thank you again!
Your pictures belong in a cookbook!
So does your recipe!

OK, now just what is a Chocolate Babka??
Sounds yummy! :o
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#68 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

Mine is dry this time too- more baking soda could be the reason. It isn't tasty like before. :angry:

The recipe should be like this:

I compared your first recipe to this. They are the same ingredients except this new one doesn't list the salt.

I thought maybe we could fix the first one but it looks OK.

Cook on!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#69 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:19 AM

I compared your first recipe to this. They are the same ingredients except this new one doesn't list the salt.

Cook on!

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I fixed the second recipe again. I used copy and paste from my file, where I originaly forgot to add salt. And I already fixed the first time. Hm...
:blink: :blink: :o :o :o
I did the same mistake twice. I fixed the recipe. If you use unsalted butter, margarine, then you need salt, but if you use salted margarine, then you don't need to use salt!!!
Finally I sad it right. :rolleyes:

#70 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Can I use cow's milk and butter?

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#71 love2travel

love2travel

ÄŒeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

I used lactose-free milk and ghee.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#72 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

I think so. Try it and you will see, if you need to adjust something later. I wish that I could use milk and butter in my recipes. The life would be easier, but I can't and I came out with this recipe instead.

#73 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

Cook on!

It was good catch. The salt is important.
Thank you.

#74 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

Oh my Gosh that is just beautiful!
I love the way the dough looks prebaked.
Thank you again!
Your pictures belong in a cookbook!
So does your recipe!

OK, now just what is a Chocolate Babka??
Sounds yummy! :o

A Chocolate babka is this:
http://www.finecooki...late-babka.aspx

But we should try to make it with my dough and put chocolate in middle

I'm also wondering, if my dough would be good for this. This is WOW!
http://www.finecooki...santhemums.aspx

#75 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

Chocolate babka sounds wonderful! Sorry to report that this bread completely crumbled on me today when I tried to slice it. So it was impossible to use for french toast or anything else except croutons or bread crumbs. I made croutons out of the remaining half of a loaf. I sprayed with olive oil, sprinkled with kosher salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Made the best croutons I have made in a long time however!

I will try the bread again sometime with a different milk sub and all the right ingredients. Thank you again for all your work and sharing the ideas for what else to make from this dough.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: