20 replies to this topic

#16 smc

smc

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

Wow, Pricklypear1971 I had a terrible reaction to Riceworks chips too that knocked me out for a few days. I never knew what got me .

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 alexsami

alexsami

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:04 AM

funny, well not really, but i just pigged out on organic fruit juice sweetened gluten free corn flakes....needless to say....stomach NOT happy :(

#18 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:08 AM

Wow, Pricklypear1971 I had a terrible reaction to Riceworks chips too that knocked me out for a few days. I never knew what got me .

Oh wow, Riceworks is TERRIBLE. Read the ingredients and look them up. Never seen such a toxic soup. Who knows, it may have been cc, too but it gave the worst reaction for a WEEK.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#19 RER

RER

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I have tried chex many times over the last 20 years or so. We used to head straight to the cereal aisle when we visited the US as kids to get them because they weren't available in Canada. They recently came to Canada so I tried them again. But it was the same result. I can handle them for a couple breakfasts and then the reaction is undeniable. It's so disappointing. When I contacted the company to question their processing for this product I was told the processing equipment is cleaned between runs of the wheat and gluten-free items, but they are run on the same equipment. It's hard to believe my stomach can be that sensitive but this sort of hyper-sensitivity seems to happen again and again. 

I noticed a section somewhere here on super sensitive celiacs, so I'm off to read more there next....

But one more thing first, I wonder if there's a more centralized list of "gluten-free" products that have red flags. I would add to this list Kraft/Skippy etc peanut butters, Philadelphia cream cheese, Gluten-free rice krispies by Kellog's, Gluten-free corn flakes by Nature's Path, Gluten-free crackers by Breton's, the older style of San-J Tamari soy sauce (white or black labels that do NOT list wheat in the ingredients), against the grain products from Lakeview bakery in Calgary Alberta.

Thanks!

#20 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

I react to chex also. Again it is a boxed thing! I now try to avoid anything boxed or bagged , key word is "Try" It is hard to do specially during the holiday season. But it is do able! I now just get fruit and veggies to pig out on. Celery carrots , apples oranges grapes are a good go to.

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#21 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

I don't do well with Chex, but for me it is definitely a sugar/processed crap reaction - nothing to do with gluten.  If I keep it to a small bowl and eat something else with it that has decent protein I'm fine.  Keep in mind, milk has sugars in it too, and the corn and rice in the cereal digest quickly and get turned to sugar too - so it's a triple-wammy.

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: