9 replies to this topic

#1 Jill2011

Jill2011

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hello, I am newly diagnosed several days ago. I am generally slightly underweight and during the month before I was diagnosed I lost an additional 15 lbs (not purposfully). I am trying to not overwhelm myself with too much information or diet changes and am generally eating fruits, veggies, and plain proteins, all made at home so far. I am concerned about the cc issue. I am eliminating nuts and dairy and soy for a month also, and then will reintroduce them and see how I do.

My concern is that I'm not getting enough calories and I will continue to lose weight. I am trying to eat something with fat at each meal as best as I can (avocado, egg, some red meat), but I am finding myself much less hungry than I was pre-diagnosis. I don't want to lose any additional weight. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Februaryrich

Februaryrich

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

Celiac is a weird disease lol, some go hungry all the time and some can't eat because they feel full. I'm also slightly underweight and wish to gain 10 more pounds but without eating real bread, real pasta and real bakery, it's hard LOL. It's not that they're lacking nutriments, It's just that before I went gluten-free I would grab a good here and there and eat all the time. It's so much harder to eat "on the spot" now. So I bring my own stuff whenever I go out, it works lol.
Gluten free since 01/09/11
Food intolerance to be determined!

#3 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

I'm one of those who feels full and I'm never really hungry since going gluten free. When I was on gluten I was hungry all the time. It's so weird.
I'm not underweight, but I recently lost a lot of weight and if I lose too much more I will be underweight, so I'm also trying to maximize calories - unsuccessfully, lol! It's very hard when you're gluten and dairy free. I mainly eat veggies, rice, potatoes and meat. I've lost all inclination to snack.
I'm hoping things will balance out eventually.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Add carbs like rice. Lots of rice out there. Fruits - calorie rich and good for you unless you are intolerant.

Add some vitamins - at least a good multi.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hello, I am newly diagnosed several days ago. I am generally slightly underweight and during the month before I was diagnosed I lost an additional 15 lbs (not purposfully). I am trying to not overwhelm myself with too much information or diet changes and am generally eating fruits, veggies, and plain proteins, all made at home so far. I am concerned about the cc issue. I am eliminating nuts and dairy and soy for a month also, and then will reintroduce them and see how I do.

My concern is that I'm not getting enough calories and I will continue to lose weight. I am trying to eat something with fat at each meal as best as I can (avocado, egg, some red meat), but I am finding myself much less hungry than I was pre-diagnosis. I don't want to lose any additional weight. Any advice?

Welcome..you've come to the right place!
Try HONEY!! It's good for the digestive track,it's a great antioxident, and also tends to act as an antibiotic ( google health benifits of HONEY)....AND it helps add on WEIGHT! Put it on your fresh slices fruit (bananas,apples,peaches,strawberries...) it goes with EVERYTHING! put it in your hearbal tea (watch out for sealed tea though...they tend to use WHEAT GLUTEN as a sealent but don't list as an ingregient because its considered part of the packaging)..only use stapled or loose tea!
Throw a little in with your VEGGIES when stirfrying. Quick trick: partually cook your harder veggies in boiling water, i.e : brocolli, carrots,slices of sweet potatoe or yam...saute you light veggies i.e: mushrooms,eggplant... THEN throw in your drained hard veggies...saute the whole thing for a few minutes with a teeny bit of gluten /dairyfree margeraine..for flavor: like EARTHBALANCE OR SMARTBALANCE LIGHT..olive oil or coconut oil..and some HONEY....SSSOOOOooooo...YUMMY!!!! :D Some times I throw in a handfull of casews as when when stirfrying!(you don't HAVE to have a WOK either...a frypan works JUST fine...just make sure its a new uncontaminated one!)
Theres SOOOooo many ways to add a little HONEY...(a table spoon in the morning)...it'll
put weight on you guys AND its good for you!!! :rolleyes: :) :D
It makes a good glaze on chicken or drizzled on your steak with a sprinkling of sea salt!
Not to mention on verious potatoe dishes (they're are SOOOO many ways to use POTATOES as well...which is also a great HEALTHY way to add a little weight..Mashed YAMS or sliced and sauted yams with mushrooms and honey instead of traditional brown sugar)..the point is to have FUN with this guys..and be healthy...there is a whole new world of food out there BESIDES bread...we just need to BE CREATIVE!!!
A handfull of golden raisins thrown into your stirfry..saute..rice..or mash..is a lovely way to add little juicey pockets of sweetness to your cooking as well!!! :rolleyes: :P :D
Then theres fruit and yogurt prfiets with honey and gluten free granolla...so many things...have FUN with it...so ya girls hungry yet..lets get cooking!!! :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Try HONEY!! It's good for the digestive track,it's a great antioxident, and also tends to act as an antibiotic ( google health benifits of HONEY)....AND it helps add on WEIGHT! Put it on your fresh slices fruit (bananas,apples,peaches,strawberries...) it goes with EVERYTHING! put it in your hearbal tea (watch out for sealed tea though...they tend to use WHEAT GLUTEN as a sealent but don't list as an ingregient because its considered part of the packaging)..only use stapled or loose tea!

Cougie, gluten in tea bags is right up there with the other celiac urban legends like envelope glue. If you use the google button on the top right of your screen, search for "gluten in tea bags" you'll find a number of threads where it has been discussed.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

Cougie, gluten in tea bags is right up there with the other celiac urban legends like envelope glue. If you use the google button on the top right of your screen, search for "gluten in tea bags" you'll find a number of threads where it has been discussed.

Darn it! on the "what to watch for "sites/lists they say stamps ,envolopes and tea bags among OTHER things...So WHAT am I supposed to beleive!!! of course I BELIEVE you!!!...
But you know what i'm saying...It's very fustrating...whats true and whats not!
Another thing...there's a million threads here...no I have'nt read all of them...I just took it for granted that this very official site I had been on was giving me real ,not false information.I'm sorry I didn't mean to mislead anyone... :( <_< !!
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Darn it! on the "what to watch for "sites/lists they say stamps ,envolopes and tea bags among OTHER things...So WHAT am I supposed to beleive!!! of course I BELIEVE you!!!...
But you know what i'm saying...It's very fustrating...whats true and whats not!
Another thing...there's a million threads here...no I have'nt read all of them...I just took it for granted that this very official site I had been on was giving me real ,not false information.I'm sorry I didn't mean to mislead anyone... :( Posted Image !!

No problem, Cougie! There's a lot of misinformation out there. And when we first go gluten-free, it's all so very confusing. We just try to keep you informed. :P Uh, I haven't read all the millions of threads on here either. :lol:
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#9 GlutenBoy1986

GlutenBoy1986

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

Welcome..you've come to the right place!
Throw a little in with your VEGGIES when stirfrying. Quick trick: partually cook your harder veggies in boiling water, i.e : brocolli, carrots,slices of sweet potatoe or yam...saute you light veggies i.e: mushrooms,eggplant... THEN throw in your drained hard veggies...saute the whole thing for a few minutes with a teeny bit of gluten /dairyfree margeraine..for flavor: like EARTHBALANCE OR SMARTBALANCE LIGHT..olive oil or coconut oil..and some HONEY....SSSOOOOooooo...YUMMY!!!! :D Some times I throw in a handfull of casews as when when stirfrying!(you don't HAVE to have a WOK either...a frypan works JUST fine...just make sure its a new uncontaminated one!)
Theres SOOOooo many ways to add a little HONEY...(a table spoon in the morning)...it'll
put weight on you guys AND its good for you!!! :rolleyes: :) :D
It makes a good glaze on chicken or drizzled on your steak with a sprinkling of sea salt!
Not to mention on verious potatoe dishes (they're are SOOOO many ways to use POTATOES as well...which is also a great HEALTHY way to add a little weight..Mashed YAMS or sliced and sauted yams with mushrooms and honey instead of traditional brown sugar)..the point is to have FUN with this guys..and be healthy...there is a whole new world of food out there BESIDES bread...we just need to BE CREATIVE!!!
A handfull of golden raisins thrown into your stirfry..saute..rice..or mash..is a lovely way to add little juicey pockets of sweetness to your cooking as well!!! :rolleyes: :P :D
Then theres fruit and yogurt prfiets with honey and gluten free granolla...so many things...have FUN with it...so ya girls hungry yet..lets get cooking!!! :D

Im in the same boat me and my twin bro and that sounds like a great idea thanks for this. ;)

#10 Goof

Goof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

Jill, I would say you're on the right track. I'm in the same boat as you, underweight for sure! I dropped about 20 lbs without trying before going gluten-free. It sounds like you're focusing on the right things - protein, fruits and veggies. I've really put a premium on the proteins, particularly lean protiens (I eat a lot of turkey and chicken, and the occasional burger, no roll of course!). It has helped quite a bit! Even though I'm sure I'm eating less calories than I used to, I am gaining the weight back. It will come back, but slowly. So don't get frustrated when it doesn't just pour right back on. Think of it like a marathon, and not a sprint. Make sure you're eating enough of what your body needs every day. If you're eating things packed with protein and other nutrients as opposed to just sugary snacks, you'll be much better off in the long run. (It's ok to have a snack now and then . I'm saying this just after I had a Snickers bar! :P) And just think of it as a day to day thing, so you don't get overwhelmed
(like I did! :) )

And the honey...I need to try some of those. Thanks for the ideas!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: