This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Did It Take?

pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut Apprentice

So I had my biopsy on Friday, still waiting for the results. Regardless, I am gluten free for life because of my blood tests. So I guess I am over here on the "other side" now. :unsure:

Today is day 4, and I feel like crap, which I attribute to gluten withdrawal. I just want to eat an entire chocolate cake right now. :o

Some of my neuro symptoms that I suspect are from gluten are tingling in my toes and feet. I also have been having insane muscle twitches all over my body. Yesterday, my cheek muscle kept twitching all day...and now my left thumb is going crazy! :unsure:

For those of you with neuro symptoms, how long did it take on a gluten free diet to see improvement? Has anybody ever been completely cured of their symptoms?? At what point should I see a neurologist to make sure these symptoms aren't from something else? I had an appt. with a neuro before I got my blood test results, but I canceled it thinking we had the answer.

I would love to hear others experiences!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lolololo Rookie

It's been about two weeks for me and I'm still getting symptoms that you've described. I guess it takes time.

It's been about two weeks for me and I'm still getting symptoms that you've described. I guess it takes time.

Ugghh...sorry to hear this, loX4! I guess I was hoping for something dramatic, so far the only thing that is better for me is the gas and bloating. All the other crap is still there.

I think I can....I think I can.... ;)

Kquad Apprentice

As i said in another post, mine ( neuro) lasted 6 weeks going off gluten and faded away. The only things now, is that when I get glutened, the neuro symptoms are much worse. The GI stuff only lasts for 2 weeks. I am now 7 weeks later and still having some neuro symptoms. I am beginning to think, that I may have some permanent damage now. The neurologist and I both think I have gluten ataxia now. It evidently is progressive with repeated exposure.

On the plus side, I feel like someone has taken their foot off the accelerator in my brain for the first time in years. My wife said I am getting to be more like the person she married and I can go to the store and remember why I am there. Nearly a decade of being told I had IBS, with no real testing! May have been able to miss a lot of this and now having possible permanent damage ( mainly visual stuff, but some balance issues)

AVR1962 Collaborator

So I had my biopsy on Friday, still waiting for the results. Regardless, I am gluten free for life because of my blood tests. So I guess I am over here on the "other side" now. :unsure:

Today is day 4, and I feel like crap, which I attribute to gluten withdrawal. I just want to eat an entire chocolate cake right now. :o

Some of my neuro symptoms that I suspect are from gluten are tingling in my toes and feet. I also have been having insane muscle twitches all over my body. Yesterday, my cheek muscle kept twitching all day...and now my left thumb is going crazy! :unsure:

For those of you with neuro symptoms, how long did it take on a gluten free diet to see improvement? Has anybody ever been completely cured of their symptoms?? At what point should I see a neurologist to make sure these symptoms aren't from something else? I had an appt. with a neuro before I got my blood test results, but I canceled it thinking we had the answer.

I would love to hear others experiences!

I had the same problem when I first went off glutens feeling so hungry. One of the other members here actually explained what happens in the body, it is a process.

The toes could be a couple different things. Toes can tingle if your calcium levels go too low. You want to make sure you are getting enough vit D to help absorb your calcium. GOOGLE "L-carnitine tingling in toes" also. I have had all kinds of problems with tingling, pins and needle pain, and hot feet which all stopped when I started taking L-carnitine.

Muscle spasms/twitched were corrected by taking a potassium supplement, magnesium plays a roll in muscle contraction as well, all of which can be looked up.

How much vitamin D are you taking daily? As I increased my vit D the bugs crawling and hair-like feelings on my skin went away. I take 4000 IUs total in one day, split at each meal.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Some of my neuro problems went away pretty quickly like depression and the pins and needles sensation. Sublingual B12 helped speed that along.

Ataxia can take longer to resolve. For me the biggest difference was noticed at 6 months and continued to improve for a while after that. My ataxia was very far advanced though and others might see improvement sooner. I had also thought the damage might be permanent but within a couple years the only time I got ataxic was when I was glutened and now that I have been gluten free for 9 years it doesn't even appear then. Physical therapy also helped me a great deal. It can take a long time for nerve issues to heal but they should heal so don't lose hope.

come dance with me Enthusiast

Have a whole gluten-free chocolate cake. If you make it at home you won't be able to tell them apart like you can with the bought type.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kquad Apprentice

Some of my neuro problems went away pretty quickly like depression and the pins and needles sensation. Sublingual B12 helped speed that along.

Ataxia can take longer to resolve. For me the biggest difference was noticed at 6 months and continued to improve for a while after that. My ataxia was very far advanced though and others might see improvement sooner. I had also thought the damage might be permanent but within a couple years the only time I got ataxic was when I was glutened and now that I have been gluten free for 9 years it doesn't even appear then. Physical therapy also helped me a great deal. It can take a long time for nerve issues to heal but they should heal so don't lose hope.

Thanks ravenwoodglass :)

frieze Community Regular

As i said in another post, mine ( neuro) lasted 6 weeks going off gluten and faded away. The only things now, is that when I get glutened, the neuro symptoms are much worse. The GI stuff only lasts for 2 weeks. I am now 7 weeks later and still having some neuro symptoms. I am beginning to think, that I may have some permanent damage now. The neurologist and I both think I have gluten ataxia now. It evidently is progressive with repeated exposure.

On the plus side, I feel like someone has taken their foot off the accelerator in my brain for the first time in years. My wife said I am getting to be more like the person she married and I can go to the store and remember why I am there. Nearly a decade of being told I had IBS, with no real testing! May have been able to miss a lot of this and now having possible permanent damage ( mainly visual stuff, but some balance issues)

before you give up on the ataxia, try CoQ10, this turned out to be my issue, rather than gluten. Though i wouldn't swear that the gluten didn't make it worse.

Thank you all so much for the advice! I am not taking ANY multi vitamins right now....duh...so dumb! :rolleyes:

I am headed to GNC today to stock up! I am also going to make a Betty Crocker gluten-free devils food cake, and yes, I might just eat the entire thing! B)

One last question....do you think I should see a neurologist and get her take on all of this? What are the chances that she will be familiar with gluten ataxia and all of the other "atypical" symptoms of gluten intolerance? My primary care doc gave me a referral to one before I got my Celiac dx, because she wanted to rule out MS!! :o Or should I give it 6 months or so and re-evaluate, hopefully some of this stuff will have gone away. Would there be any benefit of getting neuro testing now and then tracking the possible improvement on a gluten-free diet?

Archived