Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Processed Meat That's Produced In A Gluten Free Facility?

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 Joe0123

Joe0123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

I believe I may be getting cross contamination from the processed meat I buy (Hormel and Jennie O) but it seems like all the brands, even if they say they have gluten free products, also produce them in facilities with products that contain gluten. Are there some brands that are completely gluten free? Should I start buying meat only from a butcher or the grocery deli, but who knows how gluten free they are. It seems like I won't be able to eat meat anymore for fear of gluten contamination. Any help would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

I can't eat processed meat due to the preservatives.
Are you sure it's gluten?
I get sick from both. Gluten is way worse, but preservatives make me feel lousy too and cause D and stomach pain.

Hormel has preservative free lunch meat. That is what I eat...but not very often. I haven't gotten sick from it....yet.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:26 PM

Are you buying pre packaged or getting it sliced at the deli? I only buy prepackaged now because there is to much risk of cross contamination from the deli.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#4 Terri O

Terri O

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

At our deli there is a big sign that says Klements products are Gluten free. And they are made right here in WI! I dont eat that type of meat but thought it interesting. Terri O

#5 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

Anyone else? Everyone who is as sensitive to gluten as I am, what do you do about meat?

#6 rana

rana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Anyone else? Everyone who is as sensitive to gluten as I am, what do you do about meat?

wow, i just posted a very similar question before I read this post. I swear I am getting glutened off of Kroger brand ground beef. I feel much like you do, I am so sensitive I can't seem to win no matter what I do. I have, however, had good luck with Jennie-O turkey sausages and the Hormel no preservative bacon, which contradicts your reaction. this is way too hard, boy has our food supply been severely screwed up. but if it helps i eat a lot of Boar's Head and never had a reaction, and like i said, i am HIGHLY sensitive. I get it sliced at Sunshine Market where the slicers are used exclusively for Boar's Head meat, otherwise I would be worried about CC.

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:34 AM

I am highly sensitive. I stopped eating processed meats. I buy meat packaged at the meat processing plant only. They do all their cutting up in a dedicated area. That works.

#8 rana

rana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

i just realized that Hormel bacon (the natural kind that says gluten free in the cardboard box) has been glutening me after all, it was just so small at first it took me eating it for several weeks to finally realize that was the problem. So no more processed meat for me, either.... I know this post is a little dated now but I had to come back and say this!

#9 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

i just realized that Hormel bacon (the natural kind that says gluten free in the cardboard box) has been glutening me after all, it was just so small at first it took me eating it for several weeks to finally realize that was the problem. So no more processed meat for me, either.... I know this post is a little dated now but I had to come back and say this!

Are you sure it's gluten and not something else in the ingredients?

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

Are you sure it's gluten and not something else in the ingredients?

That is precisely what I was thinking.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Maybe it is too much grease for your system? I eat that bacon all the time and never had any issues with it and I am pretty sensitive to even trace amounts of gluten.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

You can buy chicken breasts and cook them yourself. If you are worried about contamination get the ones with the skin on and rip it off. They are cheaper anyway. Hormel has some meats marked gluten free and so does Boar's Head. I think there is a brand called Applegate Farms that has gluten-free also.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Applegate Farms has a great selection of meats that is gluten free. I really like their breakfast sausages in addition to their sliced meat. My King Sooper (Kroger) carries them but they are pricy. They are also at some of the local natural grocery stores so if you have that type of store look there. They don't have a long ingredients list and list gluten free on the packaging. Both of which I like. Another option is Costco. They have a gluten free pre cooked shredded chicken by Del Real. In addition they have gluten free sliced turkey that we buy.

Michelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: