This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acid Reflux?

shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf Proficient

Went to my GP doctor yesterday and told her that my indigestion has not stopped and my throat was getting worse. Gave me something to coat my throat before i eat and a better acid reducer. Haven't tried it yet (its a 24hour one and my last one was a 24hour one so yeah couldn't take same day). So HOPEFULLY it will help.

So my question is, do you guys deal with acid reflux?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yea. I found Pepto Bismal liquid to be very helpful for me. I use it when glutened and before I was diagnosed. Acid reflux was my DD's primary symptom when she was diagnosed.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Pepto barely touches it for me :(

I was hopeing once my dying gallbladder was out (thats what they eventaully found out about it), that it would go away... but alas...

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I had it BAD.

I had to drink 16 oz. Water upon waking, some crackers.

No acidic foods early in the day.

Mild breakfast - whatever soaks up acid for you.

I had to drnk 8+ oz. of water every few hours and snack on mild foods. No spicy, acidic foods unless eaten with lots of other things.

And I had to learn visualization - mind over body. I'd visualize the pain moving out of my body through arms, hands fingers. I got good at it - could do it during meetings, etc.

Basically, I had to perform "mind over body" and stop the acid. No meds worked for me. I was also getting a rebound effect from them.

cougie23 Explorer

ok...so check THIS out...talk about Acid!

When I was a little girl I suffered from headaches and migraines (and athsma,allergies,consant colds..fainting spells).So many blood tests and cat scans...nothing!(except frekcles where they pricked me with the needles...still have those freckles too!!!)Anyway...when I was a teenager I had migraines Andbad stomache?intestinal pai A LOT!!!Bad period cramping as well!...by the time I was in my 20's I recognized that my stomacke aches were because of severe ascid...and the fact that my stomache absoulutly refused to digest sometimes...thus I discovered that if I drank a huge amount of water...quickly ...I could vomit...then no more acid and the dizzyness and severe pain would instantly go away ( I know thats rather harsh...but I was 20..and on my own...and pepto only went so far...usreally I'd take the antacid first..wait an hour..then throw up if it didn't work).The real discovery was when I threw up because of a migraine...and realized that most of the time the MIGRAINES WERE BEING CAUSED BY THE ACID!!(other times by my neck ingery I sustained at the age of 12..landed on my head!!..but thats another story!!LOL)I realized that all these years when the acid would get to bad...I would feel dizzy..some times to the point of fainting...develope a head ache...which would turn into a migrane..which would force me to vomit...getting rid of the acid...which would then make the headache go away...and all because I was severely glutened and didn't know it!!! :blink: My stomache kept hitting a point where it refused to digest..still does..just point blank refuses...then I can't eat for a few days...and I JUST found out about celiacs (and caesin too...very bad for me)...go figure!

It would have been nice if just ONE of the many many many doctors I have gone to had even CONSIDERED it..let alone even THOUGHT of testing me for food Allergies...let alone celiacs!!! Oh well at least Iknow now...but I'm 47 for god's sake!!! It would have been nice to know earlier! ;)

What about you guys...( sorry to rant...but I'm still in the I can believe this...my GOD IT"S IN EVERYTHING!!!!!stage LOL) :D

cougie23 Explorer

ok...so check THIS out...talk about Acid!

When I was a little girl I suffered from headaches and migraines (and athsma,allergies,consant colds..fainting spells).So many blood tests and cat scans...nothing!(except frekcles where they pricked me with the needles...still have those freckles too!!!)Anyway...when I was a teenager I had migraines Andbad stomache?intestinal pai A LOT!!!Bad period cramping as well!...by the time I was in my 20's I recognized that my stomacke aches were because of severe ascid...and the fact that my stomache absoulutly refused to digest sometimes...thus I discovered that if I drank a huge amount of water...quickly ...I could vomit...then no more acid and the dizzyness and severe pain would instantly go away ( I know thats rather harsh...but I was 20..and on my own...and pepto only went so far...usreally I'd take the antacid first..wait an hour..then throw up if it didn't work).The real discovery was when I threw up because of a migraine...and realized that most of the time the MIGRAINES WERE BEING CAUSED BY THE ACID!!(other times by my neck ingery I sustained at the age of 12..landed on my head!!..but thats another story!!LOL)I realized that all these years when the acid would get to bad...I would feel dizzy..some times to the point of fainting...develope a head ache...which would turn into a migrane..which would force me to vomit...getting rid of the acid...which would then make the headache go away...and all because I was severely glutened and didn't know it!!! :blink: My stomache kept hitting a point where it refused to digest..still does..just point blank refuses...then I can't eat for a few days...and I JUST found out about celiacs (and caesin too...very bad for me)...go figure!

It would have been nice if just ONE of the many many many doctors I have gone to had even CONSIDERED it..let alone even THOUGHT of testing me for food Allergies...let alone celiacs!!! Oh well at least Iknow now...but I'm 47 for god's sake!!! It would have been nice to know earlier! ;)

What about you guys...( sorry to rant...but I'm still in the I can believe this...my GOD IT"S IN EVERYTHING!!!!!stage LOL) :D

DAM....sorry about all the typo's...really got to work on that!

cougie23 Explorer

Keep re-posting by accident too...sorry! still getting the hang of this! :rolleyes:

also I'm not sure why..but I noticed that even when I correct my misspellings it still shows up misspelled?! I don't get what I'm doing wrong...besides looking uneducated and stupid!!! :unsure::( (my husband say's ...it's because COUGARS CAN"T TYPE!!! :D )

(He named me cougar/cougie not because I chase after young men/women...but because of my moodiness..allways ready to pounce or take a swipe at him!!!!..although he is 9 months younger..and he likes to tease me about that!!!) :P

I do have nuralogical problems because of my Celiacs and when this whole thing came to ahead (leading to my diagnosise) I was at the point were I couldn't remember conversations imediatly after having them ,let alone dicectoins!! I am still having trouble remembering basic spelling!! pin #'s...my age!!!!ect. It's getting better though...so bear with me!

I would like to talk more with you, RAVANWOOD...we seem to have alot in common and I have some questoins! :rolleyes::D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutentheintolerant Rookie

I do not have acid reflux but there's a type of licorice that I eat when my stomach bothers me. It's made from Open Original Shared Link.

I usually take some after I've had too much dairy. Seems to help.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Went to my GP doctor yesterday and told her that my indigestion has not stopped and my throat was getting worse. Gave me something to coat my throat before i eat and a better acid reducer. Haven't tried it yet (its a 24hour one and my last one was a 24hour one so yeah couldn't take same day). So HOPEFULLY it will help.

So my question is, do you guys deal with acid reflux?

Have you ruled out other food issues? Dairy is a big culprit in reflux, as are cruciferous vegetables. There are a few others. You might also try digestive enzymes (papain, from papayas) is one I've heard of working well. And there is the theory that the issue is actually too *little* stomach acid (which makes the food take longer to break down, leaving more in the stomach, causing more pressure on the espophageal spincter, causing the reflux) so some people suggest taking something like apple cider vinegar with meals.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Acid reflux was ds's main glutening symptom. We had to cut out almost all processed foods to get rid of it.

shadowicewolf Proficient

eeeek :(

My gp put me on two new meds, one to take once a day and one to take 4 times a day. Ugh.

I've pretty much cut out all processed foods outside of my Peanutbutter, rice cakes, and rice chex (though i've been cutting back on this one).

I normally get down a 14ish once glass of water before i eat anything, that seems to help some.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Peanuts are something that sets off some gluten-free people. Sometimes your body thinks it's gluten.

Try almond or another butter?

Coffee, same thing. Body can think it's gluten.

Reba32 Rookie

My acid reflux went away almost immediately after I started gluten-free. But I also have a hiatal hernia, which can cause reflux. Bubbly beverages can make it act up (soda, beer, cider, etc) Have you had an endoscopy? If you have a haiatal hernia, it would be evident via endoscopy.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Yes, i have had an endo done. Nothing besides damage to my esophagous was shown.

I do not drink anything outside of water. I can't do it. It irritates my throat too much.

Archived