Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Help Needed In Baking Breads

22 posts in this topic

I've only been gluten-free for a few months and I just cannot bring myself to spend $5 or more for hamburger and hot dog buns especially when they come in a pack of four. My family used to eat Italian bread with dinner on a regular basis. Now that I am gluten-free, we rarely have bread with dinner. The only bread I can make that is edible is a corn bread! So far I have bought the frozen gluten-free bread from the grocery store, but it is not that great and I dread eating it. So I am trying to figure out how to make a good tasting Italian bread, hamburger buns, and hot dog buns. Summer is coming and it will be time for hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill very soon :rolleyes:

1. Does anyone know where you buy the baking pans for Italian style bread, Hamburger buns, & Hot dog buns?

2. Does anyone have any tried and true recipes for baking these breads? I do not have a bread machine. I have tried a few recipes, but they have not come out that well.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ads by Google:

for my sons hamburger buns I use muffin rings (purchased at a kitchen shop), they work great. To make the buns I usually use the Tapioca rice bread mix from Kinnickinick.com our Save on Foods carrys it in the store. They taste great and are soft and freeze well.

The Bette Hagman, Featherlight mix also seams to be the best I have found for a scratch mix, but keep in mind I am new to all of this as well.

Also, Bette hagmans book, gluten free gourmet bakes bread has alot of recipies for wonderful breads like french bread. I borrowed one from the library. You can probably find the recipie for the featherlight mix here or on the old web page, if not ler me know and I will dig around for it and post it.

Tracy

;) Hi there i am also looking for a no fail bread that is home made not one in a packet i have been celiac for 14 months and have been making bread i have tryed all sorts of recipes i try to stay away from the one with milk in them as i have trouble with that too

look forward to hearing from all the old hands at celiac disease and bread making

jacque :unsure:

Jacque,

Would you care to share your cornbread recipe? I'm still searching for good recipes of nearly any sort.

I'd love it if you'd be willing to share.

Brandy

The original recipe can be found on the Arrow Head Mills Yellow Corn Meal bag. I modified the recipe to fit my tastes and desire for a fast simple bread. My family likes it hot out of the oven or toasted with butter.

Mexican Corn Bread

Ingredients

1 c onion finely chopped

1 c mexican corn (from the can)

1 c white flour (I use rice flour)

1 c Yellow Corn Meal

1 T baking Powder

I just bought Lyn Rae Ries's new book Delicious Breads. I have been trying to bake a decent loaf of bread for two years and they all end up in the trash. Even Bette Hagmans. I made two loaves of bread so far from this new book and I loved them both. I made the basic sandwich bread and the Onion Cheese Loaf. They were soooo good!! They do take a lot of different ingredients such as quinoa flour, yogurt..etc, but it is worth the trip to the store with a long list. My Mom tried a bite of the onion cheese bread and she said it tasted like an expensive specialty bread from New York. I highly recommend the book. (for the quinoa flour I just ground quinoa flakes in my coffee grinder. I do a box at a time and store it in the freezer along with all my other flours) The sandwich bread didn't fall apart or have a nasty aftertaste and it wasn't gritty! I'm a happy bread eater once more :)

I have found a bread mix from the Gluten-Free Pantry called "Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix" that makes a very good bread in my breadmaker. I've been using it for the past 5 yrs and have had great results. I have found that heating the slices of bread up before using, in a toaster or skillet, helps with the dry texture some gluten free breads have when they're cold. Makes great grilled ham and cheese sandwiches or use as a substitute for hamburger buns sliced a little thicker.

Baking Gluten free breads requires patience, experimentation, and perseverance.

I use many of Bette Hagman's recipes; I modify some, I derived my own biscuit recipe.

I found adding baked sweet potatoes to the mix improved texture and taste for some breads.

Don't give up. I have been doing this for a couple of years now and people who eat regular breads find my gluten free breads to be delicious.

I will share my biscuit recipe if asked. I bake two batches at a time. We freeze them as soon as they are cool; pop 'em in the microwave for 30 or 40 seconds anytime we want one.

My wife has Celiac Sprue, I do not; I try to share her meals as often as possible.

You can learn to bake excellent breads if you stick with it...

Can anyone help with my bread problem. When I uses the Featherlight mix, the bread is great. I slice it and freeze it, but by the next day it is already drying and starting to crumble. Any ideas?

Tracy

HS Wade,

Could you please share your biscuit recipe? I have not had biscuits in a long time!

I am trying to make breads and some are edible and some become bread crumbs. I'll keep trying.

Hi, I went to Wild oats yesterday and the person there had me try bread made with spelt is this ok? it falls apart really easy, but it taste great.

Laurie anne,

Unfortunately, spelt is NOT gluten-free. It is the "ancient" form of wheat that farmers originally domesticated, so while it does not have as much gluten as its hybridized counterpart today, it definitely does contain gluten and must be avoided. The same is true for kamut, another "ancient" wheat-like grain. :(

Mr. Wade,

I, too, would like to have your biscuit recipe and instructions. My grandson used to love biscuits. IOt would be such a great treat for him. Thanks

I just found Mr. Wade's biscuit recipe under the shared recipe topic. I'll try it soon--very soon.

Jenni

Could you possibly post or email the two recipes for me my nephew who is 6 wants to be like the other children in his class and have sandwiches for lunch but all the breads we have tried dry out and fall apart the next day

pat

Here is my favorite recipe from Lynn Rae's book so far. It has a flavor to it but if you want it plain I'm sure just omitting the onion flakes would be fine.

Cheddar and Onion Bread

3/4 c. eggs ( 4 lg. eggs minus 1 yolk)

1 cup bottled water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

2 T. veg. oil

2 T. honey

Place above ingred. in bread maker.

Add:

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 c tapioca starch flour

1/2. cornstarch

3/4 cup quinoa flour (the first time I made this bread I couldn't find the flour so I ground up quinoa flakes in my coffee grinder,I have since found the flour.)

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup dry milk powder

2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp instant onion flakes ( it called for two but I like just one)

2 1/2 tsp yeast

Add in 1 cup grated sharp cheese.

Set your machine for 1 1/2 lb loaf.

When finished baking cool on a wire rack until cool. I wait a full hour. Then I slice and eat what I want. The remaining bread I slice and freeze. I put waxed paper between the slices. Then I wrap the pile in a piece of foil and then put in a freezer baggie.

I hope you like it as much as I did!!

I just typed out the whole recipe but I don't see it on here! It took me forever because I don't type...did it get lost in cyberspace?? AAHHH!!

jenni

thank you so much for the recipe i will try it but i dont know if my nephew will like it with the onion in it

again thank you

pat

Here is my favorite recipe from Lynn Rae's book so far. It has a flavor to it but if you want it plain I'm sure just omitting the onion flakes would be fine.

Cheddar and Onion Bread

3/4 c. eggs ( 4 lg. eggs minus 1 yolk)

1 cup bottled water

1 tsp. cider vinegar

2 T. veg. oil

2 T. honey

Place above ingred. in bread maker.

Add:

1 cup brown rice flour

1/2 c tapioca starch flour

1/2. cornstarch

3/4 cup quinoa flour (the first time I made this bread I couldn't find the flour so I ground up quinoa flakes in my coffee grinder,I have since found the flour.)

1/4 cup sweet rice flour

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup dry milk powder

2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp instant onion flakes ( it called for two but I like just one)

2 1/2 tsp yeast

Add in 1 cup grated sharp cheese.

Set your machine for 1 1/2 lb loaf.

When finished baking cool on a wire rack until cool. I wait a full hour. Then I slice and eat what I want. The remaining bread I slice and freeze. I put waxed paper between the slices. Then I wrap the pile in a piece of foil and then put in a freezer baggie.

I hope you like it as much as I did!!

Jenni,

Is there a recipe for plain, white bread? Don't think my grandson would enjoy cheese bread. Can leave out the onion flakes, but wonder if the omission of cheese wouldn't affect the bread. Ries' book is not available in our library and don't want to order it unless we can use the recipes. Also, what kind of bread machine to you have? I've been afraid to buy one since so many have said they didn't have good luck with them. Would appreciate your help. Jo Ann (bobjo.3@juno.com)

Joann - try my recipe for challah bread (under Kosher and gluten-free, in this same recipe forum). The bread is very soft and good for sandwiches - it's not too hard to make and very good (if I can brag a little!) Also it is dairy free! by the way - I don't use a bread machine...just the old fashioned way. Sara

Hello, everyone. This is my first time on the site, but for sure I'll be a regular visitor from now on. My husband was diagnosed about a month ago and I have tried a number of breads (home made). The best so far was the sourdough in Bette Hagman's cookbook. My problem is that all the breads I've baked seem to rise okay, but when I take them out of the oven they fall in the middle. When I slice the bread it looks like there is a big "v" in the top of the slice. I figure I'm doing something wrong in the "rising" stage, but don't know what it is. Can anyone help? Oh, and those of you who make rolls........which bread recipes are best, and do you just drop large dollops of batter on a baking sheet? I probably need a recipe specifically for rolls, is that right? Thanks a million. :)