5 replies to this topic

#1 sreese68

sreese68

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

We're going to London next week and renting a place near Regent's Park. The rental agency said they'd buy groceries for us when we first get there, or there's a Tesco Express close by. Do Tesco Expresses carry fresh produce and meat? Do they have a decent selection of gluten-free bread, pasta, etc? Or am I better off at the Whole Foods in Camden? Or someplace else? The gluten-free stuff is mostly for my (picky) kids and (not picky) husband as I'm brown rice intolerant and can't eat most gluten-free baked goods.

Oh, do most people buy groceries for just a few days at a time? I picturing carrying a week's supply back to our rental in a taxi or something! LOL!

Thanks!
Sharon
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

We're going to London next week and renting a place near Regent's Park. The rental agency said they'd buy groceries for us when we first get there, or there's a Tesco Express close by. Do Tesco Expresses carry fresh produce and meat? Do they have a decent selection of gluten-free bread, pasta, etc? Or am I better off at the Whole Foods in Camden? Or someplace else? The gluten-free stuff is mostly for my (picky) kids and (not picky) husband as I'm brown rice intolerant and can't eat most gluten-free baked goods.

Oh, do most people buy groceries for just a few days at a time? I picturing carrying a week's supply back to our rental in a taxi or something! LOL!

Thanks!
Sharon

Hi Sharon,
I have been to London many times and the smaller Tesco Express places usually don't carry much. They do have some meat and produce but it's limited. You may find a package or 2 of gluten-free cookies but these are tiny stores and cannot stock much in the way of variety. They have their use in a pinch but I usually shop at the Whole Foods mega store in Kensington, right on the High St. A couple of things....Regent Park is not that far by tube from Kensington....I am extremely familiar with London's lay-out. I wouldn't shop for a weeks groceries because English fridges are small....really small and you won't pack much into one. I would suggest a few trips and buying smaller quantities at a time. You could use the Whole Foods in Camden but the one in Kensington is HUGE and is THE nicest grocery store I have ever been in. It's phenomenal. They have everything you could want in there and the kids should find lots of stuff to keep them happy.

I don't know what your budget is but I would recommend taking the Tube because it's so much faster and taxi's always get stuck in London traffic and you'll pay about $25.00 or more just to get your groceries back to the flat. I use them rarely and either walk or tube it back to the flat. You won't have enough groceries for it to a problem. I rented last year right near to the Whole Foods Kensington so just walked back and forth. Lots of Londoners take whatever they have purchased onto the Tube so it won't seem weird or anything.

Have a fabulous time! I love that city and always rent flats now and it works out beautifully. You'll love it! :D I wish I could go right now!

#3 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

Hi Sharon,
I have been to London many times and the smaller Tesco Express places usually don't carry much. They do have some meat and produce but it's limited. .

I cut your post down to save space, but honestly, the entire post was EXACTLY the info I need to know! Thanks so much!!! I went to London with just my husband the month before I started my gluten-free diet, so I mostly ate at museum and department store cafes! LOL! (short trip, so I crammed a lot in while my husband was doing business during the day) Didn't have to think about grocery shopping at all.

I think I may ask the leasing company to purchase a handful of things in case I'm too wiped out to shop the first afternoon. I will definitely go to the Whole Foods in Kensington. Just looked it up on my ipad's tube map and saw it's not all that far. When I was thinking taxi, I wasn't thinking about the traffic. I used the tube the whole time I was there last time, so I'm comfortable with it. Definitely a time to leave the kids with my husband when I go, though! (We have 4 kids from age 5 to 13.)

We are all really looking forward to it. My boys are very excited to get to see a real castle and real armor. :)

Thanks again!
Sharon
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

I cut your post down to save space, but honestly, the entire post was EXACTLY the info I need to know! Thanks so much!!! I went to London with just my husband the month before I started my gluten-free diet, so I mostly ate at museum and department store cafes! LOL! (short trip, so I crammed a lot in while my husband was doing business during the day) Didn't have to think about grocery shopping at all.

I think I may ask the leasing company to purchase a handful of things in case I'm too wiped out to shop the first afternoon. I will definitely go to the Whole Foods in Kensington. Just looked it up on my ipad's tube map and saw it's not all that far. When I was thinking taxi, I wasn't thinking about the traffic. I used the tube the whole time I was there last time, so I'm comfortable with it. Definitely a time to leave the kids with my husband when I go, though! (We have 4 kids from age 5 to 13.)

We are all really looking forward to it. My boys are very excited to get to see a real castle and real armor. :)

Thanks again!
Sharon

Very glad to be able to help! Sounds like you are a seasoned pro so you'll have no trouble. I keep forgetting with all the technology out there, it's easy to look things up from an Ipad or phone. The Whole Foods is not far at all, if you're comfy with tubing it. I love the Tube...so fast and easy to navigate the city from. Get off at Kensington High St. station, bang a right once outside the station and it's right up the street on your right. Easy!

Your boys will love the Tower of London. They have armor in the White Tower there. It's an exciting city for kids as well as adults. Please post when you return and tell us how it all went. I love to virtual travel through others, when I can't go myself! :P

#5 electrochel

electrochel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:14 AM

Does anyone know if Birds (Brand) of Brandy Sauce is gluten free??

It says in my gluten free book that modified starch is not gluten free, but i have had yoghurts and sauces with that in it before and it says gluten free on their label...? Im confused....??

#6 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

Coeliac UK list Birds ready to serve Brandy Butter as suitable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: