50 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Now that we've had our first frost canning is in the air. Today I am canning a big batch of yummy salsa and tomorrow I am making dill pickles. Hopefully on Friday I will make yellow tomato butter.

So far I have made:

- nectarine almond chutney
- pear relish
- marinara sauce
- roasted plum preserves
- roasted applesauce

...and have tons and tons of other things to "put by". Can hardly wait! :D I am making a balsamic red wine herbed jelly, jalapeno jelly, pizza sauce and about 6 kinds of pesto.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

I don't know a lot about canning but I grew a tomato "tree" and I still have 2dzn green tomatoes any idea's what to do with them?

#3 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

I've never canned or preserved. I never had the space or the time before. But I think I could find some space now for jars of pesto or chutney. : ) Do you have any ideas on how to begin?

#4 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

I don't can, but I do freeze. Every summer I freeze field peas and butterbeans that I buy at the farmer's market. I also make pepper jelly to give as Christmas happies.

#5 NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

Not strictly canning but I just harvested a huge amount of mint from our mint plants before the frosts come ( chocolate mint no less, and yes it does taste like it :) ). I dried all the leaves in the oven, crushed them up and jarred them. They make an amazing mint tea, perfect for settling the stomach.

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

I don't know a lot about canning but I grew a tomato "tree" and I still have 2dzn green tomatoes any idea's what to do with them?

You could make a green tomato salsa (I am doing that, too, as most of the tomatoes we picked were still green).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Not strictly canning but I just harvested a huge amount of mint from our mint plants before the frosts come ( chocolate mint no less, and yes it does taste like it :) ). I dried all the leaves in the oven, crushed them up and jarred them. They make an amazing mint tea, perfect for settling the stomach.

Mmmm... mint tea. I love mint, too. Did you know you can also grow apple and pineapple mint? With my mint I usually make:

- mint sauce for lamb
- mint and basil pesto
- mint panna cotta and creme brulee (well, until I went dairy free)
- mint jelly
- mint simple syrup
- mint vinegar (sometimes with raspberries or blueberries)

#8 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Pickled beets, 50+quarts of tomato's, salsa,Amish peppers, hot pickled peppers, peppers in tomato sauce, pizza green tomatoes, cream corn, whole corn, corn on the cobb, green beans, zucchini, sliced green peppers, applesauce, sweet cherries, peaches, next up is grape jelly, grape juice, sourkraut, pickles sweet & sour/dill, horseradish.... I think that's it for 'this year....
nothing better than home canned & froze food with no chemicals, or aprays.....

mamaw

#9 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

I've never canned or preserved. I never had the space or the time before. But I think I could find some space now for jars of pesto or chutney. : ) Do you have any ideas on how to begin?

Oh, yes! You can easily make small batches of pesto if you are limited on space. It freezes well, too. I make nearly 10 kinds of pesto including sundried tomato, mint, basil, sage and parsley and switch up the nuts, too, such as almonds or walnuts instead of expensive pinenuts. My pesto classes are amongst the most popular I teach - people tell me often that my pesto is the best they have ever had. :)

I love to make my pesto in a big granite mortar and pestle for best results in texture BUT that is not necessary. If you have a food processor you can make it.

My recs include toasting the nuts and allowing them to cool for a lovely flavour. I never use measurements with pesto but basically grind a clove or two of garlic with some coarse kosher salt (it acts as an abrasive whilst grinding), add a large handful of torn basil (and/or other herbs) and mash. Then drizzle in olive oil, add the cheese (usually Parmesan - NEVER the fake stuff that comes in the plastic container) and nuts. Blend/use mortar and pestle. Keep adding in oil until the texture is a bit chunky and pasty. When you store pesto in the fridge make sure to keep it covered with a film of olive oil or it can turn rancid quickly. You can make as little as 1/2 cup or as much as 2 cups.

You can easily make small batches of chutney, too. The good thing about small batches is that you would not have to can it if you eat it within two weeks. The negative is that you only have a small amount. But chutneys go far. What kind of veg/fruits do you like? There is nothing like the smell of chutney perking away on the stove. Well, except for homemade GLUTEN bread. :( To make small batches of chutney you do not need to buy any extra equipment - you just need a good knife and heavy pot and a little time. But much of the time is inactive.

I use chutney slathered on duck, lamb, pork, chicken, whatever. It is also great with cheese and crackers or on platters with yummy charcuterie, good cheese and honeys.

Making chutneys, marmalades, jams, jellies, sauces, etc. is eye awakening. Once you start you will not be able to stop! There is no need to buy any of this stuff when it is easy to make and tastes better and you know exactly what goes into it.

#10 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:11 PM

I am not canning anything BUT, I live near an apple orchard and would love to make some apple jelly. :)

#11 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

Stewed tomatoes and dill relish.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#12 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

I am not canning anything BUT, I live near an apple orchard and would love to make some apple jelly. :)

Sounds like you live in an ideal location! I make a mean apple mint jelly that goes soooooooooo well with duck and goose and lamb (well, and pork).

#13 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hi Love2Travel,

I don't know if my taste buds are as fully developed as your's, but I was amazed that pesto still tasted so good sanz the dairy. And nobody ever mentioned that it wasn't as good as before when I gave it as a gift or enjoyed it with friends.

I "put up" four quarts of Jamaican style curry goat tonight. I think I crave it because of my osteopenia. I love things cooked with bone and/or bone marrow, and have a love affair with root vegetables going on.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#14 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hi Love2Travel,

I don't know if my taste buds are as fully developed as your's, but I was amazed that pesto still tasted so good sanz the dairy. And nobody ever mentioned that it wasn't as good as before when I gave it as a gift or enjoyed it with friends.

I "put up" four quarts of Jamaican style curry goat tonight. I think I crave it because of my osteopenia. I love things cooked with bone and/or bone marrow, and have a love affair with root vegetables going on.

Hi Marilyn,
Pesto does taste good without the cheese, too - almost like a pistou in France which traditionally did not have pine nuts or cheese. Did you know you can make a red (sundried tomato) pesto? It is just brilliant.

That goat sounds divine. I LOVE goat and feel it is so underused. I, too, crave meat cooked on the bone and bone marrow. Root vegetables make my heart sing, too! There is something so homey and comforting about them. And now that it is Fall it makes a lot of sense cooking/roasting them as they are now seasonal. I have a recipe for root vegetable "candy" - you know how yummy they get when they caramelize in the oven? Mmmmmmm....

#15 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

One year, my mom and i canned a ton of strawberries and razzberries. I swore off makeing jam after that.

A few years before that my grandmother came home with a truck load of cucumbers and we ended up making bread and butter pickles.... swore that off as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: