50 replies to this topic

#16 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

I still have apples and grape-apple jelly I canned last year. I'd like to do tomatoes but I didn't have a garden this summer due to moving. Local tomatoes have not looked very good or been a good enough price yet to buy in bulk for canning. But I am in a warmer climate so the season is not over here yet. We won't see frost until early November. I will probably just do refridgerator pickles this year. http://allrecipes.co...les/detail.aspx

Also, this website is an excellent guide if you have not canned before:

http://www.uga.edu/n...w/can_home.html
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

Just finished canning a batch of basil, lemon thyme and mint jelly. Next...salsa.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#18 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

love2travel,

You are amazing with all of your ideas!

But what do I put the stuff I make into? I thought I needed special containers (like Mason jars?), so that my product will keep?

#19 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

love2travel,

You are amazing with all of your ideas!

But what do I put the stuff I make into? I thought I needed special containers (like Mason jars?), so that my product will keep?

Lucia, you are sweet. Food is my life in many respects. I live it, breathe it, dream about it...literally. If I am not cooking I am reading about it. My mind is always planning combinations of things and what I will make the next day.

Anyway, if you are making a bigger batch of pesto all you need is a plastic sour cream or margarine container in which to freeze it. Or even better yet - what I do is drop large spoonfuls onto a sheet pan and freeze. Then I freeze the individual "patties" in plastic bags and just pull out what I need to thaw for a recipe. That is called flash freezing. But if you make jellies or chutneys you will need jars, especially if you are canning. There are recipes that are called "Freezer Jam" that do not require canning - you can freeze in plastic containers. And if you make small batches (i.e. chutney) of either just 1 or 2 jars you do not need to can IF they will be eaten within 2 weeks. Anything beyond 2 weeks really should be canned (or frozen).

Tomorrow I am making more salsa and Peppered Balsamic Strawberry Jam. Next - Balsamic, Red Wine and Jalapeno Jelly.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#20 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

we had the biggest garden this year than we have ever had! i am sick of my pressure-canner! lol just kidding, i am really getting some use out of it this year. i am on the last batch of cukes and i still have green peppers and jalapenos left to put up. probably make jelly - love2, is your recipe sweet/hot? that is what i want, i think.

so far we have:
a TON of sauerkraut - and i fermented it for a few weeks. my family loves me haha
chow-chow - about 5 qts although i am making ALOT more next time, everybody loves it!
beets - 5 qts - i could have put up more but everybody kept eating them
stewed tomatoes - 9 qts
roasted tomatoes w/garlic - 9 qts
bread n butter pickles - 6 qts
half sour pickles - first attempt - 4 1/2 qts
"hamburger" dill chips - 7 pints
dill cuke relish - is brining right now

and i have one more batch of cukes left - debating on sweet relish or trying the half sour fermenting again.... hmmm....

experimental success - all ingredients are natural and gluten free. with my husband's hunting skills, we could eat all winter if we had to. the kids, however, will starve. HAHAHA kidding. they are all grown, they can forage for berries. and eat slugs <gluten free :D

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

not canning, but I dehydrated close to 15 lbs of bananas last week. (we won't mention how much of that has been eaten already, not will we mention by whom...)

I may also be dehydrating some other things within the next week or so, possibly.

just curious--- has anyone here ever dehydrated onions? I haven't, and that may be one of the things I do soon...
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#22 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

I've been freezing and dehydrating all season. I haven't tried canning yet. With freezing you can do a small batch at a time. Canning seems like such a long involved process. Shadowicewolf, you swore off canning, is that why? Should I try it, or continue to freeze and dehydrate? I bought a new much bigger freezer this year and it is still basically full. I'll need to take out all the dividers and containers and fill it more compactly. I wonder how much more space I'll get that way? Thanks for the canning reference, Glutenfreemanna. I'm reading it after I finish here.

I've done raspberries, strawberries, black currants, peaches, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard greens, Swiss chard, beet greens, tomato sauce, spices, herb teas, lavender, Oswego,

We haven't even had our first frost yet. I'm waiting on a lot of things for that. They, parsnips, carrots, collards, etc. are supposed to get sweeter after the first frost. Is it true?

#23 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

we had the biggest garden this year than we have ever had! i am sick of my pressure-canner! lol just kidding, i am really getting some use out of it this year. i am on the last batch of cukes and i still have green peppers and jalapenos left to put up. probably make jelly - love2, is your recipe sweet/hot? that is what i want, i think.

so far we have:
a TON of sauerkraut - and i fermented it for a few weeks. my family loves me haha
chow-chow - about 5 qts although i am making ALOT more next time, everybody loves it!
beets - 5 qts - i could have put up more but everybody kept eating them
stewed tomatoes - 9 qts
roasted tomatoes w/garlic - 9 qts
bread n butter pickles - 6 qts
half sour pickles - first attempt - 4 1/2 qts
"hamburger" dill chips - 7 pints
dill cuke relish - is brining right now

and i have one more batch of cukes left - debating on sweet relish or trying the half sour fermenting again.... hmmm....

experimental success - all ingredients are natural and gluten free. with my husband's hunting skills, we could eat all winter if we had to. the kids, however, will starve. HAHAHA kidding. they are all grown, they can forage for berries. and eat slugs <gluten free :D

Awesome! Your pantry must look just beautiful. Am canning green tomato salsa now.

#24 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

I've been freezing and dehydrating all season. I haven't tried canning yet. With freezing you can do a small batch at a time. Canning seems like such a long involved process. Shadowicewolf, you swore off canning, is that why? Should I try it, or continue to freeze and dehydrate? I bought a new much bigger freezer this year and it is still basically full. I'll need to take out all the dividers and containers and fill it more compactly. I wonder how much more space I'll get that way? Thanks for the canning reference, Glutenfreemanna. I'm reading it after I finish here.

I've done raspberries, strawberries, black currants, peaches, collards, broccoli, cauliflower, mustard greens, Swiss chard, beet greens, tomato sauce, spices, herb teas, lavender, Oswego,

We haven't even had our first frost yet. I'm waiting on a lot of things for that. They, parsnips, carrots, collards, etc. are supposed to get sweeter after the first frost. Is it true?

Canning can be a long process but so worth it. Most of the work is involved in the prep and bringing the canner to a boil. So, while I prep I turn the burner and keep the jars hot in the oven so everything is ready at the same time.

It IS true that many vegetables (especially root vegetables) do become sweeter after a frost. NOT potatoes, though, of course.

#25 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

not canning, but I dehydrated close to 15 lbs of bananas last week. (we won't mention how much of that has been eaten already, not will we mention by whom...)

I may also be dehydrating some other things within the next week or so, possibly.

just curious--- has anyone here ever dehydrated onions? I haven't, and that may be one of the things I do soon...

I have not done that but when I have tons of onions I make savoury caramelized onion jams that are so incredible with proteins and as starters with crackers and/or cheeses.

#26 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

This thread really makes me feel like a NYCer. A pantry! - what a luxury! And all these lovely gardens! I'm really impressed with y'all.

I think I'm (at least) going to make a batch of kimchi. I've been trying to eat it more since anything fermented is good for our tummies. But it's hard to find kimchi without anchovies, and we're mostly vegetarian in my house (due to my husband). That's my plan anyway.

I did put some tubs of pesto away in the freezer. And I got a big bundle of "pesto basil" from our CSA just yesterday, so I'll be putting away even more.

#27 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

This thread really makes me feel like a NYCer. A pantry! - what a luxury! And all these lovely gardens! I'm really impressed with y'all.

I think I'm (at least) going to make a batch of kimchi. I've been trying to eat it more since anything fermented is good for our tummies. But it's hard to find kimchi without anchovies, and we're mostly vegetarian in my house (due to my husband). That's my plan anyway.

I did put some tubs of pesto away in the freezer. And I got a big bundle of "pesto basil" from our CSA just yesterday, so I'll be putting away even more.

Could you please share your recipe for kimchi? I would love to make it but have never found a recipe withotu fish sauce. I'm allergic to shellfish (including anchovies) and it's almost impossible to find shellfish-free fish sauce. I Would love it if I could just make kim chi without the fish sauce. I am trying to eat more natural probiotic foods too.

Oh and as far as the garden goes if you have even a small patio/balcony you may be able to do a container garden. I lived in apartments for years and grew cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, eggplant peppers and herbs on patios that were no bigger than two feet by four feet. The bigger plants were in paint buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. My "pantry" at the last few places was an old computer armroir I kept in the living room or dining room close to the kitchen. Everyone always thought it was a desk or tv cabinet unless I opened it up.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#28 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

I am blessed with two big pantries - one downstairs that is large and one in the kitchen that is a walk-in size. One of the reasons we bought this house! Lots and lots of storage.

In winter you will be so happy about the pesto. Glad you got more from your CSA!

Our "garden" is the raised beds my husband built for me so I could continue growing things (cannot garden any longer due to chronic pain). The beds hold so much stuff - I plant very intensively. I just love them - my husband also built seating all the way around them so I can sit and plant/harvest. They are nearly two feet high so hold a lot of great organic matter in the soil (he works in our compost).

#29 lucky28

lucky28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

So far we have canned pickles, green beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable soup, and pepper rings. Have also frozen zucchini and squash. I say we loosely, I was just dx in august and for most of the summer I really had no energy so it was my boyfriend who did most of the canning! I have been feeling much better lately and hope to join in with some fall stuff; apples, pears, peas etc.
"They're my villi, and I need them NOW!"

Positive Biopsy- 08/11
Slightly positive tTG only- 06/11
Negative blood panel- 11/05
Diagnosed with IBS- 1981

#30 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

NotMe!..you said you made sourkraut? I just recently read a magazine that said to make it you alternate layers of shredded cabbage with salt. That's it..and then you put a plate on top to keep the cabbage under the liquid that's formed.
My whole life I though it was made with vinegar. Is it really just cabbage and salt..and does it smell bad while fermenting?
I've thought about trying to make some, but my son lives in the basement. if it smalls really bad he won't like it. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: