33 replies to this topic

#1 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

How many of you get a flu shot every year? I have never had the flu, to the best of my knowledge, and at 52, am not inclined to ever get a flu shot.
I am never sick any more since going gluten-free so don't see the point. I am surprised by the number of people who think it a crime if you don't get a flu shot.
Ditto for the pneumonia vaccine. I have never had it so why would I get a vaccine if I am in the low risk group?

I am curious to see what others have to say about it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

Well, I never got them till I started getting sick all the time. Got on thyroid meds and stopped getting sick.

That said, the one year I did get it, I got pneumonia. I'm sure it wasn't the cause but it didn't stop whatever flu got me that lead to the pneumonia.

Anyway, I react to so many things I just don't do it.

I've read re: hypothyroid patients you generally do very well with them or very bad. Since I'm hypo and I don't generally get the flu since I started meds I haven't pursued it. I get about 25% of the flu (meaning I get sick about once every 4 years with genuine flu).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 sreese68

sreese68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

My husband has chronic bronchitis, so the kids and I get the flu shot each year to protect him. He got the pneumonia one. And we both got the adult pertussis shot a few years ago since outbreaks happen here from time to time. If my husband didn't have issues, I'm not sure we'd get themů
Sharon
gluten-free March 2011
Failed gluten challenge May 2011
Diagnosed celiac 5/25/11

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Well, I never got them till I started getting sick all the time. Got on thyroid meds and stopped getting sick.

That said, the one year I did get it, I got pneumonia. I'm sure it wasn't the cause but it didn't stop whatever flu got me that lead to the pneumonia.

Anyway, I react to so many things I just don't do it.

I've read re: hypothyroid patients you generally do very well with them or very bad. Since I'm hypo and I don't generally get the flu since I started meds I haven't pursued it. I get about 25% of the flu (meaning I get sick about once every 4 years with genuine flu).

That's interesting as I have Hashi's thyroid disease also and never heard about this before. I have not had any vaccines or anything since before I was diagnosed 6 years ago so it's been awhile. I am not against all vaccines or shots for certain illnesses but do not run out and get them all when I feel it's an individual based issue. I am a little wary of having a problem with them so think carefully about it before I do.

The last shot I got was a tetanus booster and it went horribly. Granted, my arms were malnourished skinny at the time and the nurse hit a nerve in my arm that nearly knocked me off the table. I could not raise my arm level with my shoulder for 6 weeks after that. When I went back to have them look at it, I knew what the problem was but they tried to tell me I had carpal tunnel....which I knew was BS. I never went back to that doctor again and now am a little nervous about shots....don't trust the medical profession all that much. My arms are normal size now but I still don't see the need for shots when I never get the flu or illnesses like it. Honestly, besides some rare glutenings, I am never sick any more.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

Nope, not getting one, never took one and never will. I haven't even had a cold since I was diagnosed even when I worked in the school system around all the sniveling coughing and hacking kids.
Interestingly was always sick with a cold or flu and I had chronic bronchitis from the time I was a child and asthma as an adult, always blamed on first my Mom's smoking and then mine. Both disappeared gluten free even though I still smoke.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm 57, and I've never had the flu. I wash my hands a lot, and never touch my face or food until I do. I too used to be sick all the time when I was young. Bronchitis at least twice a year, pneumonia about seven times during my life, croup as a child, and just a touch of asthma. (And yes, I still smoke :( )

As an adult though, I hardly ever even catch a cold. I think I went through a three year stretch one time where I never got even a slight case of the sniffles.

I'm not a big fan of the medical profession either. One time an elderly lady came into my store and told me she had just taken her eighty-something year old husband to the doctor for the first time in his life. My immediate response was, "That's why he has lived so long!"

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 love2travel

love2travel

─îeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Though I have received the flu vaccine a few times I still get sick. Last year I had bronchitis that turned into pneumonia that caused so much coughing that many of my intercostal muscles tore away from my ribs. Not good when I have severe back pain to begin with. The pain was (and still is) unimaginable. Perhaps now that I am gluten free I will not get sick this winter. I sure hope so - the coughing hurts me so badly. :(
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

My asthma is still a mess and flu means a nasty round of bronchitis. I get mine!

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

I have asthma, and I got the flu once, in my 20's. It was horrible and terrifying, and I do not want to repeat the experience. I get the shot.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,680 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

I don't want to jinx myself! I might or might not get one! ;)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#11 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Every time I have gotten the flu shot I have been VERY sick from it. The years when I didn't get it I wasn't as sick. I still got colds every year but they were not as severe. Plenty of people have told me that you can't get sick from the shot and it just means you were already exposed to the flu before the shot had a chance to work. I don't believe them. Besides, the flu shot is just a guess about which strain is going to be big that year anyway. They are often wrong in their predictions and the shot helps very few people those years. I'll take my chances.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

Always get it. I had the flu 25 years ago I hope never to have it again.

richard

#13 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Plenty of people have told me that you can't get sick from the shot and it just means you were already exposed to the flu before the shot had a chance to work.

This isn't technically correct. You can't get the flu, from the flu shot, but it is designed to stimulate your immune system, so it's likely that you'll feel ill for a few days after a few shot. How long you feel ill depends on your own personal body chemistry.

If you weren't sick to the point of hospitalization, or being close to the point of hospitalization, then it's unlikely you've had "the flu". It's not a mild illness, and it (or rather, it's sequelae), kills people.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#14 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

This isn't technically correct. You can't get the flu, from the flu shot, but it is designed to stimulate your immune system, so it's likely that you'll feel ill for a few days after a few shot. How long you feel ill depends on your own personal body chemistry.

If you weren't sick to the point of hospitalization, or being close to the point of hospitalization, then it's unlikely you've had "the flu". It's not a mild illness, and it (or rather, it's sequelae), kills people.

The last two times I had the flu shot I was sick enough I had to go to the ER. I had very high fevers that did not go down with my limit of tylenol, dehydration because I could not keep liquids down, terrible body aches, swelling of the tissues on the back of my head...I most definately had serious flu-like symptoms after getting the flu shot. I wasn't "hosptalized" in these cases but had to spend a good deal of time in the ER recieving fluids and waiting for my fever to go down. It was not mild by any means. I'll take the milder colds without a flu shot over the sickness that comes only when I get the flu shot anyday. Everyone's different of course, but my body cannot handle the flu shot.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#15 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:21 AM

The last two times I had the flu shot I was sick enough I had to go to the ER. I had very high fevers that did not go down with my limit of tylenol, dehydration because I could not keep liquids down, terrible body aches, swelling of the tissues on the back of my head...I most definately had serious flu-like symptoms after getting the flu shot. I wasn't "hosptalized" in these cases but had to spend a good deal of time in the ER recieving fluids and waiting for my fever to go down. It was not mild by any means. I'll take the milder colds without a flu shot over the sickness that comes only when I get the flu shot anyday. Everyone's different of course, but my body cannot handle the flu shot.

Yeah, that's bad. I don't suppose any of the ER personnel thought to type you to see 1) if it were an actual strain of flu, and 2) if it were a strain of flu in the vaccine you had just received. That sort of info would be worth knowing (for them, you probably just want to know how long it will take to go away, and how to keep it from happening again).
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: