33 replies to this topic

#16 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

Though I don't get colds as often as I used to, if I get the flu (which I've had twice in the past 7 years), I get bronchitis and then pneumonia which is very difficult to shake.

I'm not a big fan of vaccines but many have allowed us to live the mostly disease-free lives the Baby Boom generation has enjoyed. (We haven't had to fret polio or diptheria for instance...)

Last year was a pneumonia year following the dreaded swine flu so I AM getting a flu shot this year. I do know, due to scientific "guessing" at which type is circulating, that it's a "shot in the dark" (ha, ha) but... there it is!

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, that's bad. I don't suppose any of the ER personnel thought to type you to see 1) if it were an actual strain of flu, and 2) if it were a strain of flu in the vaccine you had just received. That sort of info would be worth knowing (for them, you probably just want to know how long it will take to go away, and how to keep it from happening again).

No, of course they didn't test what strain it was. The ER is where I was told 1) it's probably the flu. 2) it could NOT have been caused by the flu shot and I must have been exposed just prior to getting the shot or the flu was a different strain than what was in the shot that year.

In the years prior to the two years in a row I was in the ER I had flu-like symptoms (after getting the flu shot) that ended up becoming brochitis or pnuemonia because I didn't go to the dr or ER when I had the fever. So after that I decided not to mess around and to go to the ER. Then the next year I was a broke/super busy grad student I just didn't get the flu shot (didn't put a lot of thought into it I just didn't have time). Maybe it's all coincidence but I didn't get sick that year. So the next year when I realized that looking back I didn't get sick the one year I skipped the shot I decided to just keep skipping it and see what happens. It's been six years since I got one and I have not had the flu. I had one case of brochitius and pnuemonia last year after a bad glutening. I'm not super anti-vaccine (I get my tentnus shots and other things for traveling to foreign countries and I don't get sick from those shots) but I'm not going to get the flu shot anymore. If I ever have kids I'll be one of those parents that spreads out their vaccine schedules as much as possible and only does the most serious ones/required ones.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#18 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:31 AM

Though I don't get colds as often as I used to, if I get the flu (which I've had twice in the past 7 years), I get bronchitis and then pneumonia which is very difficult to shake.

I'm not a big fan of vaccines but many have allowed us to live the mostly disease-free lives the Baby Boom generation has enjoyed. (We haven't had to fret polio or diptheria for instance...)

Last year was a pneumonia year following the dreaded swine flu so I AM getting a flu shot this year. I do know, due to scientific "guessing" at which type is circulating, that it's a "shot in the dark" (ha, ha) but... there it is!

lisa

Interesting. I've noticed since I got on thyroid meds when I get sick with something like the flu it's milder than everyone else around me. I'm also the last one to get it. I had the "regular" flu and then swine flu...both were milder than everyone around me. I can't believe the difference thyroid meds made for me.

Before thyroid meds I got sick at the drop of a hat. I had the flu 3 consecutive Christmases. That sucked.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#19 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

i got one last year. Got the flu a month later really bad that started this whole mess :anger:

#20 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

No, of course they didn't test what strain it was. The ER is where I was told 1) it's probably the flu. 2) it could NOT have been caused by the flu shot and I must have been exposed just prior to getting the shot or the flu was a different strain than what was in the shot that year.

:(
Sorry. They shouldn't make that many assumptions about your health.

If I had had the same experiences as you, I wouldn't get the shots anymore either. I get a low grade fever, a few chills/body aches, and a headache for a couple days. That's it.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#21 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

Put me in the flu shot column. High risk with COPD and a suppressed immune system - it's a no-brainer for me. Pneumonia would probably kill me.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

I get the flu shot. I work in a hospital and x-ray patients all night long that are coughing, have nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I also don't want to take it home and expose my kids. They usually get the flu shot also, but I forgot it last year. I took oldest to the doctor last season thinking he had strep and nope, he tested positive for the flu on the nasal swab. I was told my youngest son probably had it too. So I won't be forgetting this year. Hubby won't take the shot, but I'm working on him for this year. So far he has been plagued by three different gastrointestinal bugs since June. He has been getting everything around this year.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#23 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

Put me in the flu shot column. High risk with COPD and a suppressed immune system - it's a no-brainer for me. Pneumonia would probably kill me.

Pneumonia nearly did me in last winter. It was absolutely dreadful. I still cringe when I think about it.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#24 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

I wonder of it could be some kind of allergic reation to something the vaccine is made with.

Here is a list of some of theinactive ingredients, but they vary from company to company:

According to the FDA, the inactive ingredients in the flu vaccine are egg protein, formaldehyde, sodium deoxycholate and thimerosal. Two of these inactive ingredients have been suspected of causing adverse reactions.

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz1Y3D1n78A

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#25 ECUmom3

ECUmom3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

I used to be a Registered Nurse and I have only had the flu once- as a child. Due to my jobs, I had built up immunities, so never got sick as an adult (I'm now 50). Several years ago (pre-Celiac diagnosis) I went to work at a Health Department, which required that I get the flu vaccine. I didn't want it, but had no choice. I had always been taught that you could not get sick from a flu vaccine, but I did, and I know many others who have as well. I had a mild case of the flu for several days. The only way I would ever get one again is if my immunity system became compromised. But that's just me. If I were prone to getting the flu I would feel differently!

I think it's a personal decision. If you are prone to these types of illnesses or have a compromised immunity system, I would highly consider getting one. If not, weigh the pros and cons.

#26 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

I used to be a Registered Nurse and I have only had the flu once- as a child. Due to my jobs, I had built up immunities, so never got sick as an adult (I'm now 50). Several years ago (pre-Celiac diagnosis) I went to work at a Health Department, which required that I get the flu vaccine. I didn't want it, but had no choice. I had always been taught that you could not get sick from a flu vaccine, but I did, and I know many others who have as well. I had a mild case of the flu for several days. The only way I would ever get one again is if my immunity system became compromised. But that's just me. If I were prone to getting the flu I would feel differently!

I think it's a personal decision. If you are prone to these types of illnesses or have a compromised immunity system, I would highly consider getting one. If not, weigh the pros and cons.

I think this is a very wise posting! That's how I feel.....it all depends on your health issues and what you feel comfortable with. I personally do not get one but that's because I have no respiratory issues and have never had the flu or pneumonia. I can understand someone with these problems deciding to get one.

I had to laugh as I got an e-mail from my doctors office to say they are setting up appointments for the flu shot and to be sure I get one. They even offer the preservative free vaccine, which I thought nice. However, they can give my shot to someone who needs it more than I do! I thought it interesting how many have had a negative reaction to it. My mother is the same way and, at 79 years old, refuses any more shots because she gets really sick from them. I suspect she is an undiagnosed Celiac and that may be why.....

#27 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

I get sick from the flu shot , it is because I react to eggs, so I do not get them

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#28 Michelle1234

Michelle1234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

I only get it if I'm going to be around an at risk population. I only get the mercury free version. I had a test done that shows I react to Thermisol (a mercury containing preservative in the normal flu shot). I also react to formaldehyde and aluminum so the shots can be very toxic to me. I haven't been tested for it but I know I react poorly to Neomycin used in neosporin (it always irritates my skin and causes a bad rash) and that can also be in the vaccine. For me a flu shot is a toxic cocktail.

I had the Clifford Materials Reactivity Testing which was ordered by my dentist and that is how I found out about my reactivity.
http://www.ccrlab.com/

For me it was very helpful since I didn't know about the Thermisol and whenever my eye Dr. prescribed eye drops my eye got infected and I had no idea why. After the test I knew why. Same thing with flu shots. They always made me sick and after the test I knew that Thermisol, Aluminum, and Formaldehyde were toxic to me along with a wide variety of other metals (some of which are common alloys in Platinum so I now knew why my engagement ring reacted with my skin). I already knew about the Formaldahyde since I react poorly to new furniture that is out-gassing or new carpet that is out-gassing and as I stated above I had known for a long time that Neosporin gave me a rash. I had no idea it could be in a vaccine.

Here is a link to the toxic ingredients that can be in the flu shot.
http://www.flu-treat...ngredients.html

I think I found my Thermisol free version last time either at a holistic Dr. or a travel clinic. You can find them but you have to call around.

Michelle

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you think your getting the flu take some Oscillococcinum. You have to take it right at the beginning when you first start feeling poorly but for me it has been wonderful. I've recommended it to people on cruise boards where we all don't want to get sick right before a big trip and they always track me down on the cruise and tell me that it worked wonderful for them or their family. You have to have it on hand as it has to be taken right away.

http://www.boironusa...llococcinum.php

For colds I've had great luck with Cold Calm.

http://www.boironusa...ts/coldcalm.php

#29 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

I do not and will not. I had once once as a child and became so ill afterwards I might as well have had the flu. Now that I know that I have an egg allergy, there is no way. Which may well be why I got sick as a child. I didn't learn of the egg allergy until a few years ago. I was constantly sick as a child and young adult and didn't know why. I did even sometimes get sick after eating eggs but it was often a delayed reaction so I didn't make the connection.

#30 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

I do not and will not. I had once once as a child and became so ill afterwards I might as well have had the flu. Now that I know that I have an egg allergy, there is no way. Which may well be why I got sick as a child. I didn't learn of the egg allergy until a few years ago. I was constantly sick as a child and young adult and didn't know why. I did even sometimes get sick after eating eggs but it was often a delayed reaction so I didn't make the connection.

Your reaction was almost certainly to the eggs.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: